ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Permission to dream big?)

The same is true of every major conference.

I disagree. The Big 12 has each team playing a non-conference game and most major conferences did not have a mid to late season non-conference week game allowing for a big score to be put up and essentially a rest week that allowed more on the roster to play. Them moving from 8 conference games to 10, while we still have 9, just as always, is a completely different look for the SEC and is why they won’t have 3 teams.

feel like struggling ADs will not be able to keep up with the jonses. Push comes to shove, we will have money for what we need, others will not. We need to hit the west coast for recruiting right now, PAC12 will be a disaster
On the field this season is a different discussion than long-term financial viability.

To that end, I totally agree.

Yep. Plus, the math doesn't support the possibility of 3 SEC teams making the playoffs.

The SEC has 6 teams ranked in the Top 9 (once you back out the Pac 12 and Big Ten). These are their match ups vs other top ranked teams + how many Top 10 match ups they have in parentheses:

#2) Alabama: Georgia, LSU, Auburn, SEC CCG (4)

#3) Georgia: Alabama, Florida, Auburn, SEC CCG (4)

#5) LSU: Alabama, Auburn, Florida, SEC CCG (4)

#6) Florida: Georgia, LSU, SEC CCG (3)

#8) Auburn: Alabama, Georgia, LSU, SEC CCG (4)

#9) A&M: Alabama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, SEC CCG (5)

Because the top teams all play each other so often, there are very few avenues available for the conference to end up with three teams that have 2 or fewer losses after the SEC CCG. If Alabama goes undefeated, that means Georgia, LSU and Auburn have a loss. But, Georgia & Auburn still play......LSU & Auburn still play.......and both also play Florida. So, you're going to have some present Top 10 SEC teams that end the season with 3-4 losses, simply b/c that's what the schedule calls for.

Mathematically, the best thing for the Big 12 and ACC is for one team team in the SEC to go undefeated, b/c it means all the others have the max losses possible. Two 1-loss SEC teams in the CCG would be bad. Best case scenario is they all lose at least two games.
The SEC forever gets the benefit of the doubt.

Never forget that. I agree that three feels extreme.

Reactions: Iceman
I suspected as much, but didn't know how to find it. I mean this in the best possible sense, these predictions bode well for us all getting what we really want in 2020.
Of course, I didn't pick Texas to win more than eight games in. season for pretty much the eight seasons before that one.

You kind of dodged the point. You spent a day arguing he WAS proven, then said he wasn’t.
I'm not arguing that he isn't or wasn't.

I'm saying he came into camp unready.

There. Hope that clears it up for you.

You left off the true number YR song, “Brandy” (Looking Glass). Also no Boz? If you want a great follow and see a great band, try Yacht Rock Review.
I really needed room for 5 more songs. I thought about leaving Arthur's song out for a Boz jam, but I couldn't do it. :)

Reactions: ItsAustin
After reading page after page of optimistic forecasts from some of the posters in this thread, I find it incredibly depressing that the reason so many of you are predicting that UT will have a great season this year is simply because almost all of our scheduled opponents have been weakened by players either opting out of the season or having other non-COVID issues that will keep them from playing (c.f. TCU). Have we really sunk to such a low point in our expectations that we feel the only way we can become conference champions is by default?
As all of you, I hope that our new coaching staff will make a major difference in the performance of the players, but it's naive to think that we will not during the course of the season have players knocked out of action by either testing positive for COVID or just old-fashioned injuries. I certainly see the reasoning behind a 7-3 prediction, but also hope for a far better record.
Amen, brother.

Someone is off his meds....

Negative folks never change their stripes.

You can look at the past 10 years and all I see is old Mack and terrible Charlie. I get why you are negative. Charlie was the worst coach in the history of the program. He destroyed a dying program and buried it.

This will be a good year.

If you want to keep on sailing with that ship, then go for it.

That’s a bad title to the thread imho. There are no hopes or dreams present in what you wrote.

Eagles for the occasional TD to show his ability like 2019. Then others do the weekly dirty work.
If we were to compile a list of the best receivers in the Texas program since 2000, the list almost certainly would include Roy Williams, B.J. Johnson, Limas Sweed, Quan Cosby, Jordan Shipley, Mike Davis, Humphrey, Johnson and Duvernay. If we rank the sophomore seasons of each player, here's what it looks like:

Roy Williams: 67 receptions for 836 yards and five touchdowns
B.J. Johnson: 41 receptions for 539 yards and four touchdowns
Limas Sweed: 36 receptions for 545 yards and five touchdowns
Quan Cosby: 45 receptions for 525 yards and two touchdowns
Jordan Shipley: 27 receptions for 417 yards and five touchdowns
Mike Davis: 45 receptions for 609 yards and one touchdown
Lil'Jordan Humphrey: 37 receptions for 431 yards and one touchdown
Collin Johnson: 54 receptions for 765 yards and two touchdowns
Devin Duvernay: 9 receptions for 124 yards and zero touchdowns.

From a yardage standpoint, Eagles' sophomore season ranked 7th, while his touchdowns ranked first and his yards per receptions ranked first by almost a full yard (16.3 vs. Shipley's 15.4). In reality, Eagles' 2019 season was one of the best sophomore seasons by any wide receiver in the history of the school.

I disagree. The Big 12 has each team playing a non-conference game and most major conferences did not have a mid to late season non-conference week game allowing for a big score to be put up and essentially a rest week that allowed more on the roster to play. Them moving from 8 conference games to 10, while we still have 9, just as always, is a completely different look for the SEC and is why they won’t have 3 teams.
I mean... I agree there won't be three teams. I just think we're going to see the idea floated.

Reactions: Texas Diesel
Exactly. This year, we have the equivalent of a normal SEC schedule and the SEC does not get their four gimme wins against vastly inferior opponents.

Reactions: Texas Diesel
If we were to compile a list of the best receivers in the Texas program since 2000, the list almost certainly would include Roy Williams, B.J. Johnson, Limas Sweed, Quan Cosby, Jordan Shipley, Mike Davis, Humphrey, Johnson and Duvernay. If we rank the sophomore seasons of each player, here's what it looks like:

Roy Williams: 67 receptions for 836 yards and five touchdowns
B.J. Johnson: 41 receptions for 539 yards and four touchdowns
Limas Sweed: 36 receptions for 545 yards and five touchdowns
Quan Cosby: 45 receptions for 525 yards and two touchdowns
Jordan Shipley: 27 receptions for 417 yards and five touchdowns
Mike Davis: 45 receptions for 609 yards and one touchdown
Lil'Jordan Humphrey: 37 receptions for 431 yards and one touchdown
Collin Johnson: 54 receptions for 765 yards and two touchdowns
Devin Duvernay: 9 receptions for 124 yards and zero touchdowns.

From a yardage standpoint, Eagles' sophomore season ranked 7th, while his touchdowns ranked first and his yards per receptions ranked first by almost a full yard (16.3 vs. Shipley's 15.4). In reality, Eagles' 2019 season was one of the best sophomore seasons by any wide receiver in the history of the school.
And yet, had Omeire not been injured, Eagles would be 3rd string. We must be deep at WR.

We agree this roster is talented but Ketch is right in the fact we haven’t been shit for a decade now. I’ll believe it when I see it as well
It doesn’t matter what took place before Herman was hired. Texas brought in Herman because he was young, aggressive and innovative. He would not settle for anything less than championships.
Herman red-shirted all of his first three classes, including his transition class of 2017. Of course, that left him with a 2019 playing roster with few upper class men. All for the sake of building for the future.
Then when the injuries hit the defense it left him with a makeshift backfield of inexperienced sophomores and freshmen. This weak defense lead him to become too conservative on offense causing the offense to be to predictable.
He was disappointed in the readiness of the young players and changed staff has put an emphasis on the development of the team three deep this year.

Last edited:
Hey Ketch would you mind looking at Notre Dame's oline recruiting? Three of the five NFL all pro team went there. A fourth Jason Kelce went to Cincinatti about ten years ago. Was Brian Kelly there then. Seems his oline coach must do a pretty good job of evaluations.

Barring unforeseen injuries or Covid issues, Texas will win the Big 12. Sam will WIN the Heisman. Texas will WIN the national championship.
Yeah and dinosaurs will walk the earth again by Christmas

Hey Ketch would you mind looking at Notre Dame's oline recruiting? Three of the five NFL all pro team went there. A fourth Jason Kelce went to Cincinatti about ten years ago. Was Brian Kelly there then. Seems his oline coach must do a pretty good job.
Give me 5 minutes. Can't believe I forgot about them.

(Sell) I have to believe Rattler finishes as a Top 2 quarterback.

This is what sucks. This guy is being ranked by Ketch as the second best QB in the league with ZERO starts and the third best in the league by the original poster.

I understand he was a huge recruit and his coach can manufacture Heisman candidates out of great potential but when the F is OU going to miss on a QB the way we did with GG? When is it their turn to be unlucky AF?

pre-season lists haven't mattered in a decade. That you just mentioned them is funny to me.

Caden Sterns is first-team all-Big 12 in the pre-season and he touched a football in a game last season one more time than you did.
You just told me they did matter in LSU’s case. SMH

@mi16 Here are the Irish numbers:

Notre Dame

5 stars: 100% (2 of 2)
High 4: 33.3% (2 of 6)
* Mid 4: 16.7% (1 of 6)
Low 4: 28.6% (4 of 14)

Overall: 9 of 28 (32.1%)

One player transferred to BYU and is a senior in 2020, so he could still impact the draft numbers, but it would be a J'Marcus Webb situation.

Reactions: mi16
Million dollar talent, ten cent brain. We even saw it last year when he disappeared for 3-4 games at a stretch.
and yet his final numbers were still impressive, indicating that million dollar talent has importance.

Reactions: KoolMoD
(Sell) I have to believe Rattler finishes as a Top 2 quarterback.

This is what sucks. This guy is being ranked by Ketch as the second best QB in the league with ZERO starts and the third best in the league by the original poster.

I understand he was a huge recruit and his coach can manufacture Heisman candidates out of great potential but when the F is OU going to miss on a QB the way we did with GG? When is it their turn to be unlucky AF?
OU is due.

You just told me they did matter in LSU’s case. SMH
returning 1st and second team All-SEC players from the previous season... keep up.

which to be fair, wasn't many. LSU is kind of an exception to the norm.

Oklahoma returns 5
Texas returns 1

returning 1st and second team All-SEC players from the previous season... keep up.

which to be fair, wasn't many. LSU is kind of an exception to the norm.

Oklahoma returns 5
Texas returns 1
Oh in that case LSU had 1 with Delpit. So ya didn’t matter.

ADVERTISEMENT