Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Permission to Dream Colossally)

He beat AL and MI on the road. Got us one play from a nattie in a playoff game. I’ll take that over stats.

As a “redshirt” frosh he also single handily lost on the road in Stillwater to OSU. Last year against ou he had a wheels off first quarter that put us in dire straits the remainder of the game.

Bottom line is Quinn is definitely the best choice for QB now, but Arch is on pace to be better heading into next year. Pointing out a drive or two that were issues against UTSA is really irrelevant.

Reactions: ndennis25
Per the transfer player stats, I always thought Jerrin Thompson was a pretty good football player. He clearly had a nice game against Arkansas. Shows the depth that UT has and how stacked we are now at so many positions.

He flashed, but his cover skills and lack of true speed were/are issues.

🤣
Not sure what you’ve been watching, but on your list the only position 2008 had over this year’s team is DT.
The term used was talent.

Let’s take DB
That year had Chaykie Brown (5th round ), Curtis Brown (3rd round) Aaron Williams (2nd round) and Earl Thomas (1st round)

You think that this team at any classification has better talent than those guys when you put it together?

Let me know when you’re ready for me to do DE with Sam Acho and Sergio Kindle and Henry Melton

Last edited:
I don't know how long I've officially been a member, but I have never seen you more optimistic about a football team in Austin since I've been a part of the family. I pray you're right and I'll hang up and listen...

Reactions: Ketchum
Ketch, completely agree with you, deepest , most talented team Texas has had in a long time. Ga will be the test, then just can’t fall asleep and let someone less talented hang around. Sark has done one hell of a job!!
Agree about our depth. Hard to believe it happened so fast. We have used the portal very well to fill our needs, not with huge numbers a la CU, but with making the right choices for needful positions.

Our depth reminds me of DKR days when everyone, including the opposing teams, knew we had a better team on the bench than the opponents could put on the field. That was not true in every instance (eg Arkansas, Ou), but was often the case.

Very different scenario now, though. DKR recruited by telling recruits which ones could come, plus I remember hearing that there were about 400 scholarship players. Sark et. al. have done a masterful job of building up the depth under much more restrictive scholarship rules.

Reactions: Ketchum
Have you queried "most people" to come to that conclusion. I believe, with equal proof, that most people love Forrest Gump and think it was Tom Hanks' greatest acting job.

I'm not saying that its not still a popular movie and thats it not a good movie. It won best picture. It made a ton of money. I'm just saying that it doesnt hold up as well as most "classics" that are considered great (which winning BP would indicate).

Its 76% RT score would be indicative of some of that sentiment. Googling "Forrest Gump" and "25" or "30 years later" would also find lots of others who feel that way.

This is an odd hill to die on so I'll leave it at that. You disagree. Noted.

Reactions: wfoot1
I think what separates 2008 from 2024 for now was the D and the schedule. That 4 week stretch was brutal.

As for Hanks, I liked Forrest Gump as a kid, but now on rewatch it's kind of a goofy movie with a badass soundtrack.

My Top 10:

1. Saving Private Ryan
2. Catch Me if You Can
3. Cast Away
4. Charlie Wilson's War
5. The Money Pit
6. Road to Perdition
7. You've Got Mail
8. Captain Phillips
9. Sully
10. Turner & Hooch
Oh my God I forgot about Charlie Wilson's war. @Ketchum you can't honestly believe You've Got Mail is better than CWW can you?

He’s an interesting case because I’m not quite sure other than people like to piss in your Cheerios when you really like a guy. He wasn’t even a high four star so there shouldn’t be any 5 star flop butthurt, he just kind of fell into the majority of guys at his level that don’t pan out. Seems like a likable kid though and I would think most want him to succeed, it just hasn’t happened objectively.
People always mention the Aaron Rodgers stuff like I'm the one that said it.

Reactions: McGuapo
Per the transfer player stats, I always thought Jerrin Thompson was a pretty good football player. He clearly had a nice game against Arkansas. Shows the depth that UT has and how stacked we are now at so many positions.
agreed.

Reactions: wfoot1
The term used was talent.

Let’s take DB
That year had Chaykie Brown (5th round ), Curtis Brown (3rd round) Aaron Williams (2nd round) and Earl Thomas (1st round)

You think that this team at any classification has better talent than those guys when you put it together?

Let me know when you’re ready for me to do DE with Sam Acho and Sergio Kindle and Henry Melton
I think the 2024 team might have better all around cornerback play.

I don't know how long I've officially been a member, but I have never seen you more optimistic about a football team in Austin since I've been a part of the family. I pray you're right and I'll hang up and listen...
Not since 2009.

I'm not saying that its not still a popular movie and thats it not a good movie. It won best picture. It made a ton of money. I'm just saying that it doesnt hold up as well as most "classics" that are considered great (which winning BP would indicate).

Its 76% RT score would be indicative of some of that sentiment. Googling "Forrest Gump" and "25" or "30 years later" would also find lots of others who feel that way.

This is an odd hill to die on so I'll leave it at that. You disagree. Noted.
You and I are on the same page.

Thompson could play but he just didn’t have the speed on the back end.

As a “redshirt” frosh he also single handily lost on the road in Stillwater to OSU. Last year against ou he had a wheels off first quarter that put us in dire straits the remainder of the game.

Bottom line is Quinn is definitely the best choice for QB now, but Arch is on pace to be better heading into next year. Pointing out a drive or two that were issues against UTSA is really irrelevant.
I only compare now. QE is far better than Arch when playing in our big games. He will make less mistakes, can execute the whole playbook with Sark, handle blitzes with consistent choices of what to do with the football versus out-athlete things and will spread the ball around keeping defense guessing including using the TE.

Will Arch be better than QE when he is a two year starter, time will tell. Hope so.

Oh my God I forgot about Charlie Wilson's war. @Ketchum you can't honestly believe You've Got Mail is better than CWW can you?

CWW was a solid flick but Hanks wasn’t quite right for that role. Hoffman stole every scene.
I’m a little biased cause I knew Charlie Wilson when I was a kid - his personality was so much larger than life. He was one of a kind.

Reactions: txfight
I think the 2024 team might have better all around cornerback play.
Very well could be when it’s all said and done.
MM and K Black could end up being a very solid duo in time when we look back on it. And while J Barron may not posses your elite traits the NFL looks at he is an extremely solid CB/NB in college in my humble opinion.

Sark agrees.
It’s a pretty obvious contrast between the two QB styles. Arch is more of the gunslinger while Ewers is more of a tactician that is more risk averse, and it’s clear he’s just not as confident in his deep ball as Arch is.

Reactions: longhornfaithful
It’s a pretty obvious contrast between the two QB styles. Arch is more of the gunslinger while Ewers is more of a tactician that is more risk averse, and it’s clear he’s just not as confident in his deep ball as Arch is.
Or Quinn just realizes it’s not a high percentage play.

But yes, I do think Arch is better at this point in his career with the deep ball.

Reactions: longhornfaithful

But yes, I do think Arch is better at this point in his career with the deep ball.
You’re not really disagreeing with me. 😉

The 2004 and 2024 teams are a very interesting comparison, but I actually think 2004 and 2023 are the most similar.

I love the 2004 team. I will go to my grave with the opinion that no one knew better how to stop the 2000s era Mike Leach Air Raid offenses than Greg Robinson. That was an incredible defense that perfected the bend don't break methodology. It was incredible what he was able to do in his only season (2013 kerfuffle not withstanding).

But that 2004 offense is a different story. That was a team that had to find its footing as the season progressed. I think it was the home game vs Mizzou that had people clamoring for VY to be moved to WR to pave the way for Perrilloux as a true freshman the next year. I think the game's leading passer was Ramonce Taylor throwing it to VY on an end around. I think it was the very next game when Texas committed to running the offense through VY and the zone read and never looked back.

While we knew our identity on offense much better in 2023, it was a team that had to figure how to win and close out games as the season wore on. The team was a work in progress, but grew before our eyes to become a complete team in the fourth quarter of the season. Both 2004 and 2023 lost some big time contributors in their respective seasons (DJ, El Ced, Scaife, etc. vs Worthy, Sweat, Murphy, Brooks, etc.) but the ground work was laid for the next year to come out firing on all cylinders.

Hopefully 2024 realizes its full potential the way 2005 did.
Great post

Reactions: ndennis25
CWW was a solid flick but Hanks wasn’t quite right for that role. Hoffman stole every scene.
I’m a little biased cause I knew Charlie Wilson when I was a kid - his personality was so much larger than life. He was one of a kind.
Tell us more!

• Love
Reactions: PreamoHorn
Very well could be when it’s all said and done.
MM and K Black could end up being a very solid duo in time when we look back on it. And while J Barron may not posses your elite traits the NFL looks at he is an extremely solid CB/NB in college in my humble opinion.
Barron has been more than solid so far. WE'll see what it looks like after 12 games.

for good reason

The lower percentage play is the more valuable one.

Sark doesn't want a passer averaging less than 9 yards per completion in his ideal world.

The lower percentage play is the more valuable one.

Sark doesn't want a passer averaging less than 9 yards per completion in his ideal world.
sure. But he also talked about how Arch should have checked it down a few more times. There’s a happy medium he’s looking for. When Arch hits that we will be rolling with him as long as the OL is solid