ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Saying the quiet part out loud)

Would Kelly’s recruiting be at an elite level? Will being at Texas somewhat release shackles that ND has?
The coaching would be. The recruiting would improve from here, but I'm not sure if it would be elite right away. Depends on the staff.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

Forgive me, but I'm going to say the quiet part out loud.

Nothing speaks to the current state of the Texas program more than Oklahoma winning its sixth consecutive Big 12 title and Texas A&M being on the cusp of a playoff spot. Longhorn fans could only root against those rivals in order to limit the emotional destruction of their psyches.

Maybe you can remember another time that surpasses this one, but for my money, it was the most Aggie-ish behavior I can remember in the two decades of Orangebloods.

In a world where the big wigs in Austin are trying to turn water into wine in their pursuit of Urban Meyer, never before was the need for change -- any change -- more apparent than when these two nightmares happened at the same time. Yet, watching Oklahoma and Texas A&M relevant on the national stage was like a dream where you are falling into a pit while being chased by a man with a chainsaw while someone that you care about dies. Hell, just add the anxiety of waking up late for good measure.

Oh, did I mention that all of this happened a couple of days after the most depressing National Signing Day in the modern era of Texas football?

Something has to happen. It doesn't matter if Urban Meyer says no, or if you can't poach Brian Kelly or Dan Mullen. It doesn't matter that it'll be very expensive, or if it means breaking norms regarding general football program policies. It doesn't matter if it means that Texas won't get party invites from the intellectual elite.

If the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results, then where on the scale does it rank to run back the last 12 months?

As I've said too many times to count, in a world where the circumstances were different, I totally understand not wanting to set $25 million on fire or wanting to give this set of assistants with Tom Herman a normal year to try to right the things that have been wronged.

The reality is that the universe we're all currently in is full of dynamics that will only further punish the Texas program if ignored.

Forgive me for reminding you to refill your antidepressants, but I can't ignore that most of you were rooting for Notre Dame to score meaningless touchdowns at the end of the ACC Championship Game because you thought it might affect the Aggies’ playoff chances.

Life doesn't have to be this way.

No. 2 - About Oklahoma...

Six.

It's almost impossible to comprehend.

Why is it happening?

Consider this...

Oklahoma team passing efficiency during the six straight Big 12 titles:

2015: 167.6
2016: 193.8
2017: 202.7
2018: 194.9
2019: 187.0
2020: 171.3

Folks, that's the greatest six-year stretch of quarterback play in the history of college football. The team quarterback rating the last time OU didn't win the Big 12? Try 117.7 back in 2014.

During the past 11 seasons, the Longhorns have never received more from the position than the 153.28 rating that David Ash posted as a sophomore (it's true) in 2012.

One of these days, Oklahoma will regress to the mean. One of these days, Texas will have something remotely close to a nationally elite passer. One of these days, those two things might happen at the same time.

No. 3 - Back to San Antonio ...

Look, I know it's not sexy in any way.

It's also a little weird that the game is only nine days away and that it would probably be safer if the team just drove up the day of the game, but at the end of the day, I'd contend that this version of the Longhorns (minus five captains) is probably best-suited to play against a team it can beat. Colorado kind of looks like that team.

If the Longhorns show up and defend the run against a very legit Jared Broussard, Texas will almost certainly win the game because Colorado’s quarterback play as a whole is poor.

Simple as that. Stop the run, get a win for Sam Ehlinger to ride out on and possibly finish ranked near the top 15 (believe it or not, Texas is ranked 20th by the AP).

End 2020 on as high of a note as possible and put this year in the rearview mirror. The future of the program shouldn't be impacted in any way by this game, so just enjoy it as best as possible.

No. 4 - Quickie thoughts on the Big 6 Bowls ...

Peach Bowl: #8 Georgia vs. #9 Cincinnati

Hoo-boy, there's no way UGA remotely cares about playing in this game, right?

Fiesta Bowl: Oregon vs. Iowa State

Does Mario Cristobal look like a sexy hire all of a sudden?

Cotton Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Florida

I know it won't be popular on here, but this seems like a bad ass game in the making.

Orange Bowl: Texas A&M vs. North Carolina

Mack owns the Aggies, right?

Rose Bowl: #1 Alabama vs. #4 Notre Dame

The Irish will wish A&M had replaced them when it's over.

Sugar Bowl: #2 Clemson vs. #3 Ohio State

The Buckeyes will wish A&M had played in this game when it's over.

No. 5 - Three thoughts on Ja'Quinden Jackson's transfer ...

* Jackson was in the NCAA portal on Tuesday. He was committed to Utah on Saturday. I'm not going to cry foul on Utah for potentially hitting Jackson up while he was still officially a Texas player; I'm just going to say Texas needs to be as aggressive with potential transfers as Utah was with Jackson. I mentioned it in the Modcast this week, but Texas needs to be vetting every talented former Lone Star State product at every key area on the roster. Use the Texas network and create some good luck by finding every Calvin Anderson in the country. Find out if they want to come home and bring them.

* Texas needs to take a transfer at the quarterback position. Even if Casey Thompson or Hudson Card flinch at the concept of needing depth, Texas needs to take a good quarterback transfer in the offseason.

* Hudson Card is the most important player in the entire program. I've already outlined the need for Texas to be elite at the quarterback position if it wants to be elite as a program again. From my seat, Card is the only obvious option available for the foreseeable future. Put him in your prayers.

No. 6 - The Greg Brown Show ...

Let's be clear about something... Texas closed the game on Sunday pretty poorly, and on another day, there would be no joy in Mudville.

However, the entire point of landing five stars is that they can do the things that freshman Greg Brown did against Oklahoma State while taking over the damn game.

Whether it was a bucket or a rebound or a blocked shot, Brown just kept making plays and lifting up his teammates. Hell, he even made a couple of mistakes just to make sure that his teammates knew that he was still one of them. In reality, though, he's not and he wasn't.

Greg Brown is the kind of basketball monster that can win games with his talent, and that's what happened on a day when the final five minutes of the game turned into hot potato for the rest of the team. In finishing with 24 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks and a bunch of plays worthy of SportsCenter, he reminded us all why one season of special talent like Brown is better than none.

This won't be the last time Brown takes over a game for Shaka Smart; it's just the first time when it made the difference between winning and losing.

The Greg Brown Show has arrived.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
penny-stocks-to-buy-or-sell-august.jpg

(Sell) The drama queens on this site know about 85-percent of the stuff they should know, which is why they are acting like drama queens.

(Buy) I don't feel like I'm on a limb here when you consider how wretched the last decade has been.

(Buy) By a full round.

(Sell) That's a little too cynical for me.

(Buy) One way or another...

(Buy) You're seeing the difference between landing monsters and not. When you have a team full of physical freaks, yeah, you're going to notice. What you're seeing is a bunch of future pros, and they look different than dudes who won’t be.

(Buy) I'm just going to believe that common sense wins out.

(Sell) Texas would have been in the Big 12 Championship game and potentially would have won it, though.

(Sell) Ask me again in a month.

(Buy) That outfit has at least three Big 12 titles in the next six years.

(Sell) Texas is a great quarterback away from an incredible resurgence.

(Buy) Simple as that.

No. 8 - Scattershooting on the world of sports...

... Thank goodness Texas isn't going to the Texas Bowl to play Arkansas. I can personally do without that right now.

... If Brock Purdy was really the best quarterback in the Big 12, Iowa State would be Big 12 champions right now.

... DeVonta Smith is the best player in the country and should win the Heisman. 98 catches for 1,511 yards and 17 touchdowns on the No. 1 team in the country is just absurd.

... If you watched San Jose State quarterback Nick Starkel on Saturday against Boise, did you wonder if the senior from Argyle might want to transfer back to the state of Texas for one last season? Because I did.

... I'm kind of liking the bowl games starting two days after the season ends. I feel much more likely to watch now.

... I know this makes me a bad fan, but I was absolutely rooting for Dallas to lose on Sunday. This little Andy Dalton resurgence does nothing for me and certainly doesn't help the franchise, outside of ruining a potential top-5 pick in a good draft.

... Did Sam Darnold just cost the Jets Trevor Lawrence?

... Damnit, Derrick, this man has a family!

... Patrick Mahomes is going to win a lot of Super Bowl rings, huh?

... Of course, my crappy fantasy team went off THIS week.

... I'm really looking forward to watching the NBA on Christmas.

... Rudy Gobert gave the Jazz a hometown discount and still banked $205 million. I'm going to need some time to marinate on that.

... Gotta be honest... I had zero interest in the Canelo Alvarez fight. He just isn’t enough by himself to make me want to watch.

... Oh...

... LAFC has beaten three Mexican clubs on the way to the CONCACAF Champions League Final on Tuesday night against Tigres in Orlando. If you're thinking of getting into Austin FC in the MLS, you might want to check this one out. This is a competition that no MLS team has ever won in its current format.

... Have I told you guys how much I love Sadio Mane?

... Charlie Woods was the best thing about this weekend, and I didn't make nearly enough time for it.

No. 9 - The List: Christmas movies

I know we're going to argue. I know you're going to hate my list. I also know Die Hard doesn't make the list, not because I don't love Die Hard as much as I refuse to call a movie without a true Christmas message an actual Christmas movie.

Don't care. It's my list.

10. Christmas Vacation
9. A Christmas Story
8. The Ref
7. Bad Santa
6. Home Alone
5. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
4. Elf
3. Love Actually
2. Scrooged
1. It's a Wonderful Life

No.10 - And finally...

With just a few days until Christmas, I thought I’d once again let the great Frank Cross from the criminally underrated Scrooged have the final word.

“There are people who are having trouble making their miracle happen; there are people who don't have enough to eat, there are people who are cold, you can go out and say hello to these people. You can take an old blanket out of the closet and go to them and say 'Here!', you can make them a sandwich and say 'oh by the way, here!'”

“I get it now! Then if you GIVE, then it can happen, then the miracle can happen to you! It's not just the poor and the hungry, it's everybody's who's GOT to have this miracle! And it can happen tonight for all of you. If you believe in this spirit thing, the miracle will happen and then you'll want it to happen again tomorrow. You won't be one of these bastards who says 'Christmas is once a year and it's a fraud', it's NOT! It can happen every day, you've just got to want that feeling. And if you like it and you want it, you'll get greedy for it! You'll want it every day of your life and it can happen to you. I believe in it now! I believe it's going to happen to me now! I'm ready for it! And it's great! It's a good feeling, it's really better than I've felt in a long time. I, I, I'm ready. Have a Merry Christmas, everybody”
Christmas With The Kranks should be in there. Wife's favorite.

I often find that when one resorts to personal attacks they no longer have a valid argument so they go that route.

Also it's a message board everyone here post opinions and read the mods which allows us to speculate on outcomes etc. Get over yourself.
What personal attack? Yes everyone has opinions but you state things as fact. Why can't you see that? You try to take hints mods give and state them as fact.

* can't redshirt prospects
* tough entrance requirements
* staff underpaid compared to the market
* salary for HC is kind of a pain.

I don't think the redshirt matter is really an issue anymore. Granted, they may not still choose to use the term "redshirt" but Domer most certainly does now. Definitely years ago, they didn't. But now it's really a non-issue best I can tell
That being said, they are serious about entrance requirements.

Reactions: FriedmanIP

Nothing speaks to the current state of the Texas program more than Oklahoma winning its sixth consecutive Big 12 title and Texas A&M being on the cusp of a playoff spot. Longhorn fans could only root against those rivals in order to limit the emotional destruction of their psyches.

Maybe you can remember another time that surpasses this one, but for my money, it was the most Aggie-ish behavior I can remember in the two decades of Orangebloods.

In a world where the big wigs in Austin are trying to turn water into wine in their pursuit of Urban Meyer, never before was the need for change -- any change -- more apparent than when these two nightmares happened at the same time. Yet, watching Oklahoma and Texas A&M relevant on the national stage was like a dream where you are falling into a pit while being chased by a man with a chainsaw while someone that you care about dies. Hell, just add the anxiety of waking up late for good measure.

Oh, did I mention that all of this happened a couple of days after the most depressing National Signing Day in the modern era of Texas football?

Something has to happen. It doesn't matter if Urban Meyer says no, or if you can't poach Brian Kelly or Dan Mullen. It doesn't matter that it'll be very expensive, or if it means breaking norms regarding general football program policies. It doesn't matter if it means that Texas won't get party invites from the intellectual elite.

If the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results, then where on the scale does it rank to run back the last 12 months?

As I've said too many times to count, in a world where the circumstances were different, I totally understand not wanting to set $25 million on fire or wanting to give this set of assistants with Tom Herman a normal year to try to right the things that have been wronged.

The reality is that the universe we're all currently in is full of dynamics that will only further punish the Texas program if ignored.

Forgive me for reminding you to refill your antidepressants, but I can't ignore that most of you were rooting for Notre Dame to score meaningless touchdowns at the end of the ACC Championship Game because you thought it might affect the Aggies’ playoff chances.

Six.

Why is it happening?

Consider this...

Folks, that's the greatest six-year stretch of quarterback play in the history of college football. The team quarterback rating the last time OU didn't win the Big 12? Try 117.7 back in 2014.

During the past 11 seasons, the Longhorns have never received more from the position than the 153.28 rating that David Ash posted as a sophomore (it's true) in 2012.

One of these days, Oklahoma will regress to the mean. One of these days, Texas will have something remotely close to a nationally elite passer. One of these days, those two things might happen at the same time.

It's also a little weird that the game is only nine days away and that it would probably be safer if the team just drove up the day of the game, but at the end of the day, I'd contend that this version of the Longhorns (minus five captains) is probably best-suited to play against a team it can beat. Colorado kind of looks like that team.

If the Longhorns show up and defend the run against a very legit Jared Broussard, Texas will almost certainly win the game because Colorado’s quarterback play as a whole is poor.

Simple as that. Stop the run, get a win for Sam Ehlinger to ride out on and possibly finish ranked near the top 15 (believe it or not, Texas is ranked 20th by the AP).

End 2020 on as high of a note as possible and put this year in the rearview mirror. The future of the program shouldn't be impacted in any way by this game, so just enjoy it as best as possible.

I know it won't be popular on here, but this seems like a bad ass game in the making.

* Jackson was in the NCAA portal on Tuesday. He was committed to Utah on Saturday. I'm not going to cry foul on Utah for potentially hitting Jackson up while he was still officially a Texas player; I'm just going to say Texas needs to be as aggressive with potential transfers as Utah was with Jackson. I mentioned it in the Modcast this week, but Texas needs to be vetting every talented former Lone Star State product at every key area on the roster. Use the Texas network and create some good luck by finding every Calvin Anderson in the country. Find out if they want to come home and bring them.

* Texas needs to take a transfer at the quarterback position. Even if Casey Thompson or Hudson Card flinch at the concept of needing depth, Texas needs to take a good quarterback transfer in the offseason.

* Hudson Card is the most important player in the entire program. I've already outlined the need for Texas to be elite at the quarterback position if it wants to be elite as a program again. From my seat, Card is the only obvious option available for the foreseeable future. Put him in your prayers.

Let's be clear about something... Texas closed the game on Sunday pretty poorly, and on another day, there would be no joy in Mudville.

However, the entire point of landing five stars is that they can do the things that freshman Greg Brown did against Oklahoma State while taking over the damn game.

Whether it was a bucket or a rebound or a blocked shot, Brown just kept making plays and lifting up his teammates. Hell, he even made a couple of mistakes just to make sure that his teammates knew that he was still one of them. In reality, though, he's not and he wasn't.

Greg Brown is the kind of basketball monster that can win games with his talent, and that's what happened on a day when the final five minutes of the game turned into hot potato for the rest of the team. In finishing with 24 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks and a bunch of plays worthy of SportsCenter, he reminded us all why one season of special talent like Brown is better than none.

This won't be the last time Brown takes over a game for Shaka Smart; it's just the first time when it made the difference between winning and losing.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

(Sell) The drama queens on this site know about 85-percent of the stuff they should know, which is why they are acting like drama queens.

(Buy) I don't feel like I'm on a limb here when you consider how wretched the last decade has been.

(Buy) By a full round.

(Buy) You're seeing the difference between landing monsters and not. When you have a team full of physical freaks, yeah, you're going to notice. What you're seeing is a bunch of future pros, and they look different than dudes who won’t be.

(Sell) Texas would have been in the Big 12 Championship game and potentially would have won it, though.

(Buy) Simple as that.

... Thank goodness Texas isn't going to the Texas Bowl to play Arkansas. I can personally do without that right now.

... If Brock Purdy was really the best quarterback in the Big 12, Iowa State would be Big 12 champions right now.

... DeVonta Smith is the best player in the country and should win the Heisman. 98 catches for 1,511 yards and 17 touchdowns on the No. 1 team in the country is just absurd.

... If you watched San Jose State quarterback Nick Starkel on Saturday against Boise, did you wonder if the senior from Argyle might want to transfer back to the state of Texas for one last season? Because I did.

... I'm kind of liking the bowl games starting two days after the season ends. I feel much more likely to watch now.

... I know this makes me a bad fan, but I was absolutely rooting for Dallas to lose on Sunday. This little Andy Dalton resurgence does nothing for me and certainly doesn't help the franchise, outside of ruining a potential top-5 pick in a good draft.

... Rudy Gobert gave the Jazz a hometown discount and still banked $205 million. I'm going to need some time to marinate on that.

... Gotta be honest... I had zero interest in the Canelo Alvarez fight. He just isn’t enough by himself to make me want to watch.

... Oh...

... LAFC has beaten three Mexican clubs on the way to the CONCACAF Champions League Final on Tuesday night against Tigres in Orlando. If you're thinking of getting into Austin FC in the MLS, you might want to check this one out. This is a competition that no MLS team has ever won in its current format.

... Charlie Woods was the best thing about this weekend, and I didn't make nearly enough time for it.

I know we're going to argue. I know you're going to hate my list. I also know Die Hard doesn't make the list, not because I don't love Die Hard as much as I refuse to call a movie without a true Christmas message an actual Christmas movie.

10. Christmas Vacation
9. A Christmas Story
8. The Ref
7. Bad Santa
6. Home Alone
4. Elf
3. Love Actually
2. Scrooged
1. It's a Wonderful Life

No.10 - And finally...

With just a few days until Christmas, I thought I’d once again let the great Frank Cross from the criminally underrated Scrooged have the final word.

“There are people who are having trouble making their miracle happen; there are people who don't have enough to eat, there are people who are cold, you can go out and say hello to these people. You can take an old blanket out of the closet and go to them and say 'Here!', you can make them a sandwich and say 'oh by the way, here!'”

“I get it now! Then if you GIVE, then it can happen, then the miracle can happen to you! It's not just the poor and the hungry, it's everybody's who's GOT to have this miracle! And it can happen tonight for all of you. If you believe in this spirit thing, the miracle will happen and then you'll want it to happen again tomorrow. You won't be one of these bastards who says 'Christmas is once a year and it's a fraud', it's NOT! It can happen every day, you've just got to want that feeling. And if you like it and you want it, you'll get greedy for it! You'll want it every day of your life and it can happen to you. I believe in it now! I believe it's going to happen to me now! I'm ready for it! And it's great! It's a good feeling, it's really better than I've felt in a long time. I, I, I'm ready. Have a Merry Christmas, everybody”

Any favorite Christmas movie list void of White Christmas is an epic fail and said person needs to check it in.

I just think Yurcich doesn't really like dual-threat quarterbacks that need to develop most in the passing gamer and he can't hide it, which is kind of the job-task.

Recruiting and roster management is requires lying and some faking. His inability to look JQJ and Milroe in the eye was the serious undoing.
Maybe a really good OC doesn't have to lie, they develop JQJ and Milroe's of the world. He might be running off the next Mahones, or Deshaun Watson, who knows

Reactions: horns--21
tbh I’m not clear on it but when talking to people they talk about academics, etc, making it more difficult to get the elite recruits accepted. But it could just the bs.

No BS about it. Much like Stanford, athletes need much more than simple NCAA academic requirements being met to enter Domer.

Reactions: sua sponte
Good write up. I’ll tell u how bad it’s gotten- getting called aggy isn’t the insult it once was. Texas sold out for money (LHN) and an easy path to the conference title (Big 12) and got plooked. Deservedly. Aggy went big on football by going to the SEC and hiring Jimbo. UT’s sentence in football purgatory is totally deserved but it should be paid off very soon.

Amen to # 10. The older I get & the more I begin to realize "time" is of the essence, the more I try to practice & incorporate the Christmas spirit in my every day life. I only wish I had started sooner. But, better late than never, right.

12/30/2020 at 0800 hours we should all get the notification that Herman has been fired as the head coach of the Texas football team. This is the only way we don’t waste the next decade. To say that we are one elite QB away from contention is negating the fact that we have less than mediocre coaching.

True, bringing in a new coach won’t magically give us a more accurate passer or shore up our offensive line right away. But it will bring in better recruits. Hell this is Texas by God, 17th in the nation in recruiting is cause for termination alone.

As I watched A&M and OU I couldn’t help but want to see them do good. Seeing OU completely dominate the Big 12 since its inception and seeing A&M on a resurgence only helps Texas find a new coach.

All of those things are nice, but if you have the quarterback first, it lifts all other boats.
Respectfully @Ketchum I think you have it backwards, the OL lifts the other boats. A serviceable QB or RB becomes pretty spectacular when they have giant holes to run through and lots of time to throw.

Great DL's make the secondary look great when they pick off passes because the QB rushes his passes and LBers are free to make tackles unimpeded.

Don't get me wrong, the QB has to be pretty good. But give me a pretty good QB behind a great line over the opposite.

My experience is when @Ketchum says to "keep an eye" on so and so candidate/recruit, he isn't spitballing.
Do we want Kelly though? He always has struck me as more of a Tom Landry on the sideline and we are in dire need of more a Jimmy Johnson on your ass and extremely passionate kind of coach

Do we want Kelly though? He always has struck me as more of a Tom Landry on the sideline and we are in dire need of more a Jimmy Johnson on your ass and extremely passionate kind of coach

I have concerns about Kelly. Of course, to quote @echeese, "nobody's asking me." Not sure how I would feel about it beyond being an obvious upgrade from Herman. As for him on the sidelines, quite honestly, stoic is probably the last thing I see in Kelly while on the sidelines. Granted, I don't watch a ton of domer games, but I feel like every time I do he's screaming at somebody and that that Irish red fills his face. ;)

Covid actually helped aggy this season. They will regress to the normal 4-5 loss team. Bet
So in a year where COVID helped the Aggies we were still this bad? You know your program is in real trouble when a damn global pandemic doesn’t even help your season...

Six.

Why is it happening?

Consider this...

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

(Buy) By a full round.

(Buy) Simple as that.

... Oh...

10. Christmas Vacation
9. A Christmas Story
8. The Ref
7. Bad Santa
6. Home Alone
4. Elf
3. Love Actually
2. Scrooged
1. It's a Wonderful Life

No.10 - And finally...

As a Longhorn fan as we all seem to be, and not from the south central area of Texas, why or what is it that has turned the media so angst towards Tom Herman? Is it his arrogance, his ability to recruit out of state versus primarily getting in-state recruits, his win/loss record along with giving games away like this year's contests against TCU and Iowa State, both of which the Horns should have won......not counting a four overtime loss to Oklahoma which should have beaten us by 3 td's for not a dominant fourth quarter by our guys. Not living in the general local of Austin, the prideful UTex fan doesn't see the arrogance issue stick out as inferred by the recent media covering the team. The national media hasn't brought this aspect out either that I've noticed, only by the locals. Are Texas high school coaches really angered by CTH recruiting out of state kids? Why would they care unless his staff overlooked and/or didn't select and maybe kiss ass to a prospect's coach as much as said coach would have liked. The win/loss issue is sticky. Games given away versus games stolen by our team are a deficit and the biggest issue, IMO. I really do believe Coach TH and his staff did an excellent job of recruiting and holding onto the recruits they got when considering the media air around the program with regard to having him dismissed in favor of Urban Meyer. It is hard to recruit when an 18 or 19 year old hears rumblings the school may not retain/want to keep its' coach. The media, though within its' rights, didn't help the Longhorns recruit anywhere near its' maximum potential with "get rid of HERMAN, Let's get Urban" ! My biggest question though, is who is running the program? Without any doubt, Big Money Donors want to exert their will on the powers that pull the trigger. It is a delicate line to walk - asking for their $money$ and not listening to their input. The treat of financial withdrawal is real and the vitality of the overall program is dependent on giving by outsiders/donors. But who is in charge, the BMD's or the upper brass of the University? Who do we want running things ? The Eyes of Texas shouldn't be on CTH's shoulders. It is ridiculous that the administration (even in transition) didn't handle this more prudently! The current athletes had zero issue with the school song when they came on campus. The athletes used the Black Lives Matter issue to strut their power of influence regardless of traditional values of the University. The faculty brass and the school's administrative leadership failed and conceded miserably.

Last edited:
I have concerns about Kelly. Of course, to quote @echeese, "nobody's asking me." Not sure how I would feel about it beyond being an obvious upgrade from Herman. As for him on the sidelines, quite honestly, stoic is probably the last thing I see in Kelly while on the sidelines. Granted, I don't watch a ton of domer games, but I feel like every time I do he's screaming at somebody and that that Irish red fills his face. ;)
Let’s hope you’re correct, he seems rather low energy/stoic to me. His offenses are also a huge concern for me. They lack explosiveness and seem dated for keeping up with the teams he would face week in and week out

Coach order of preference assuming Meyer is unavailable:

1. Mullen

2. Campbell

NO to Kelly

With the right coach (and a good QB), we’re where we want to be fast enough. OU got lucky twice when coordinators with no head coaching experience ended up being good head coaches. That is very much against the odds. Texas is due some luck, if you ask me.

By the way, we don’t really know how good Riley is until he has to face a Texas team with a good coach over a period of years. He looks great now but he’s got no competition other than an under-manned but well coached Iowa State.
Is it against the odds to go after someone like Tony Elliot? This guy is the real deal. Obviously going after an assistant is a gamble but damn he sure looks like a straight flush on the turn of the cards.

ADVERTISEMENT