ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Saying the quiet part out loud)

1. Elliott is a BIG reason for what has been built at Clemson. This isn't some dude piggy-backing others.
Ketch my man. Love me some Elliot. If theres ever a time at UT to go all in on an Assistant Coach, Elliot seems like the one you go big or go home on.

1. Elliott is a BIG reason for what has been built at Clemson. This isn't some dude piggy-backing others.
Is Elliott’s ceiling higher than Kelly’s? Kelly will bring the consistent 9-11 wins each year but can he break through and beat Bama and Clemson? I do think he would get more speed and talent at UT than he does at ND.

two things:
1. We don't know if Elliott is the "real deal "...he has never been a HC and all his experience is at one school where things are EZ
2. In re : your user name ???...you told your family that you aren't a candidate for the TX job...and made it quite clear.

can you elaborate? Not doubting I just don’t know very much about him. It seems like another guy that came to a great program that was great before he got there, was great while he was there, and will be great when He leaves.

Agree Ketch. Elliot isn't tagging along on someone else's gravy train. If Meyer says no, this should be the next choice. If OU has the nads to hire great coordinators, so can we.

Is Elliott’s ceiling higher than Kelly’s? Kelly will bring the consistent 9-11 wins each year but can he break through and beat Bama and Clemson? I do think he would get more speed and talent at UT than he does at ND.
Probably a higher ceiling and lower floor.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
can you elaborate? Not doubting I just don’t know very much about him. It seems like another guy that came to a great program that was great before he got there, was great while he was there, and will be great when He leaves.
He's been at Clemson since 2011, became a co-OC in 2015 and is the sole OC beginning this year.

Won the Broyels award in 2017.

Former walk-on at Clemson that ended up being a team captain. Graduated with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering with a team-high 3.55 GPA.

Clemson’s run of nine straight 10-win seasons started when he became a full-time assistant coach. Clemson is 111-16 since he came back to Clemson in 2011.

Named one of the top-10 recruiters in the ACC by Rivals.

He's been at Clemson since 2011, became a co-OC in 2015 and is the sole OC beginning this year.

Former walk-on at Clemson that ended up being a team captain. Graduated with a bachelor's degree in industrial engineering with a team-high 3.55 GPA.

Clemson’s run of nine straight 10-win seasons started when he became a full-time assistant coach. Clemson is 111-16 since he came back to Clemson in 2011.

Are you speaking to us or CDC? :)

two things:
1. We don't know if Elliott is the "real deal "...he has never been a HC and all his experience is at one school where things are EZ
2. In re : your user name ???...you told your family that you aren't a candidate for the TX job...and made it quite clear.
I believe Elliot to be the real deal. He has been with Clemson since 2011 which shows he isn’t one to just jump to the next best job. He likes consistency and is loyal. Those are two big qualities to have as a head coach. He has helped build that offense into what it is today. Trevor Lawrence isn’t just a fluke. Lawrence is a byproduct of building that program. He is a top recruiter in the nation and has the ability to close on big time recruits. Not sure about what you mean by user name

It wasn't the OU offensive line that made them special (see the NFL yesterday).

On Sunday afternoon, Oklahoma’s quarterback from the 2019 season squared off against the team’s quarterback from the 2018 season, as new Eagles QB1 Jalen Hurts made his second NFL start against Kyler Murray’s Cardinals. The result was one of the most fun games of the year: Hurts and Murray combined for 744 passing yards and six touchdowns against one interception—plus 92 rushing yards and two touchdowns on the ground. With just one field goal and one safety filling out the rest of the 33-26 final, Hurts and Murray accounted for 54 of the 59 points scored in the game.

If the Pride of Oklahoma Marching Band had been at the game and played “Boomer Sooner” after every touchdown by Murray or Hurts, every successful extra point, and every first down by their offenses—I think this is the formula—they would have played Boomer Sooner at least 60 times.

QB Talent is important but more often than not the winner of the OU/Texas game is overwhelmingly decided by the team that rushes the ball most effectively. Plus I think with a formidable O line Ehlinger eclipses your passer rating threshold for us to be successful.

How so? And why not Venables then?
I think Venables would be a great hire as well. Big difference is 9 years. Elliot is 41 and Venables is 50. So speaking of age we get more out of Elliot. Also Venables has old roots to OU so he may be a little more weary of coming to TX. Not saying that he will, but he could. We know coaches in the past choose one gig over another due to ties with the conference or rival schools.

Reactions: SR60
I believe Elliot to be the real deal. He has been with Clemson since 2011 which shows he isn’t one to just jump to the next best job. He likes consistency and is loyal. Those are two big qualities to have as a head coach. He has helped build that offense into what it is today. Trevor Lawrence isn’t just a fluke. Lawrence is a byproduct of building that program. He is a top recruiter in the nation and has the ability to close on big time recruits. Not sure about what you mean by user name
I read that again haha. Yes, I share a name with the Iowa State coach. Maybe I can talk him into coming to Austin lol

No BS about it. Much like Stanford, athletes need much more than simple NCAA academic requirements being met to enter Domer.
I wonder how many of Alabama and Clemson’s top players scored better than an 1100 SAT.

That's not quiet what happened, but being in a position to have to root for others to do create your happiness is about as Aggie as it gets, no?

Sooners and their media here do it all year long.

Sounds like the perfect guy to take over when Dabo goes to Bama.

I think Venables would be a great hire as well. Big difference is 9 years. Elliot is 41 and Venables is 50. So speaking of age we get more out of Elliot. Also Venables has old roots to OU so he may be a little more weary of coming to TX. Not saying that he will, but he could. We know coaches in the past choose one gig over another due to ties with the conference or rival schools.

The Ou (and Kstate) roots is one of the reasons I like him. he knows what it takes to win in the Big12.

The Ou (and Kstate) roots is one of the reasons I like him. he knows what it takes to win in the Big12.
And I agree with you on that. Don’t get me wrong I would love to have Venerables if we can. I think if he can get a top ranked offensive coordinator to come with him then all of the other assistants would fall into place.

Probably a higher ceiling and lower floor.
In your opinion would UM turn ND down due to these restrictions Kelly has had to work around?
Kelly has been the best coach they’ve had since Lou...what he’s done there hasn’t been appreciated enough due to the ND brand and limitations the job presents.

Sounds like the perfect guy to take over when Dabo goes to Bama.

Saban's not retiring anytime soon and when he does i think Dabo stays at Clemson. of course Alabama makes the inquiry but he'll stay at Clemson. Dabo could win several more titles before Saban retires but at Bama he'll have Saban and Bear looming over his shoulder. At Clemson he's already the most successful coach in Clemson history.

Saban's not retiring anytime soon and when he does i think Dabo stays at Clemson. of course Alabama makes the inquiry but he'll stay at Clemson. Dabo could win several more titles before Saban retires but at Bama he'll have Saban and Bear looming over his shoulder. At Clemson he's already the most successful coach in Clemson history.
Yeah I don’t see Saban going anywhere. At least not anytime soon. Also, it only makes sense for Dani to stay. He has been extremely successful and has it made at Clemson.

Reactions: SR60
No Riley would have supported him with an offensive line worth a damn, a running game, good playcalling, and receivers who could get open. Sam wasn't even close to the problem with this team.

This narrative overlooks that there were times where he had excellent protection, yet was still off-target or late on throws. He declined precipitously last season as well, with his effeciency rating going from #7 to #62 over the course of the season, and the offense becoming one of the national leaders (#91) in most failed drives.

There's a lot to like about Sam; he's a smart guy with a lot of grit. But just because a hometown kid gets to be the starting QB for 4 years doesn't mean he's the elite talent that his fans imagined him up to be.

My biggest argument with this TTFTW is us being a really good QB away.

If we put half the emphasis on OL and DL recruiting and development that we put on skill positions, then I think you'd discover that getting a 165 QB rating out of most these guys wouldn't be so unheard of on the 40 acres.

We have the RB, WRs, TE and QB that we need. Find a coach who can recruit and development the guys to block for them.

In other words, get rid of Hand

Reactions: burntoblood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT