ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The case against making the playoff ...)

[/QUOTE]

My friend's contention was with hindsight, he believed the Longhorns were better off winning the Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State and missing the championship game altogether than making the national title game and losing to Tim Tebow's Gators based on these three factors.

[/QUOTE]
guy-stops-eating-birthday-cake-1368131324T.gif

Reactions: TexaStrong
If the results are pre-determined, then it's an easy pick to take the win to end the season, but that's not how it works. I would take the risk of the 30 point loss to Bama every day because it also comes with the chance that we beat those bastards. Given that's impossible to know the outcome ahead of time (even if a certain outcome is likely), I will always take the chance. Herman has shown an ability to get his teams up for big games when he's an underdog. Bring on Bama baby!

a. Winning the Big 12 title, but finishing No. 5 in the playoff rankings, thus missing the playoffs. However, the Longhorns would go on to win a major bowl game, finish in the top 5 of the final rankings and have the fuel needed to push them for a big 2019 run.

b. Winning the Big 12 title and making the playoffs as the No. 4 seed, but losing to Alabama by 30+ and finishing outside of the top five in the final rankings.

I'd choose the one that is best for recruiting. I just don't know which one would be the best. Do you, Ketch?

I would hate losing to Bama and ending the season on a down note. However, it might be good for the players to play against that level of competition. Iron sharpens iron. re: recruiting. If it was lose to Bama in the playoffs or beat Georgia in a bowl, I would be very tempted to beat Georgia to see if we could peel off some of their 5 stars.

My friend's contention was with hindsight, he believed the Longhorns were better off winning the Fiesta Bowl against Ohio State and missing the championship game altogether than making the national title game and losing to Tim Tebow's Gators based on these three factors.

That was a good contention. We came out well in that. But this year Bama is seriously something pretty special with Tua. Having said that I’m not sure we’d get blown out. Saban’s defenses have been vunersble to mobile QB’s. But we’ll never know most likely.

In 2008 Texas beat #1 OU by 10 points on a neutral field with 1 week to prepare. #1 Florida beat OU by 10 points in what was essentially a home game for Florida with 32 days to prepare.

I don’t buy the argument that Texas wouldn’t have beaten Florida because they barely beat Ohio State. Texas had no desire to play in that Fiesta Bowl, and Ohio State wanted that win BADLY.

Some of my favorite concerts I’ve been to in Austin

1. U2 (1988) Erwin Center - likely the best concert I’ve been to
  2. The Blues Travelers (1995) Austin Music Hall - phenomenal encore after encore and went until nearly 3am IIRC - the smaller venue and non-stop music made it an epic event
  3. Hootie & The Blowfish (1996 ?) Southpark Meadows outdoors w/ rain - I do remember wet white tees everywhere including my gf at the time - was one of the more fun and entertaining concerts I’ve ever been to
  4. The Eagles - History of the Eagles (2015) - not a bad song - glad I got to see them while Glenn Frey was still with us
  5. There are others way back like Van Halen, etc but I truly miss The Ugly Americans (and The Scabs) - I honestly don’t remember how many times I saw them. Always a good show and met Sandra Bullock at Antoine’s (might’ve been just Bob Schneider) - overall she’s a pretty cool chick

So the best concert you’ve ever been to was when you were 13?

You ALWAYS take the chance at the championship and live with whatever goes down. ALWAYS. Upsets happen, and Tom Herman is a guy who has engineered quite a few in his young coaching career.

Best concert. Lyle Lovett at Red Rocks the night Jerry Garcia died. It was a full moon and 70 degrees - clear sky. Lyle came out by himself and sang “A friend of the devil”. Magical.

That’s right you’re not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway.

Considering we’re about to have a home and away with Bama I’d say let’s get it on. And on. And on.

But I’m with the go for it crew. You can’t win at an elite level being scared of facing a team. We had the same thing happen when we beat Nebraska who had been punching holes in the competition for years leading to that game.

Reactions: marinehorn
If the results are pre-determined, then it's an easy pick to take the win to end the season, but that's not how it works. I would take the risk of the 30 point loss to Bama every day because it also comes with the chance that we beat those bastards. Given that's impossible to know the outcome ahead of time (even if a certain outcome is likely), I will always take the chance. Herman has shown an ability to get his teams up for big games when he's an underdog. Bring on Bama baby!

Couldn’t agree more.

"He also believes that if Texas had lost the national championship game in 2008, it might have created the type of hangover that the 2009 Sooners suffered"

It's kinda hard to take your friend's opinion seriously when he called the 2009 season a hangover, considering Brandford's injury.

Some of my favorite concerts I’ve been to in Austin

1. U2 (1988) Erwin Center - likely the best concert I’ve been to
  2. The Blues Travelers (1995) Austin Music Hall - phenomenal encore after encore and went until nearly 3am IIRC - the smaller venue and non-stop music made it an epic event
  3. Hootie & The Blowfish (1996 ?) Southpark Meadows outdoors w/ rain - I do remember wet white tees everywhere including my gf at the time - was one of the more fun and entertaining concerts I’ve ever been to
  4. The Eagles - History of the Eagles (2015) - not a bad song - glad I got to see them while Glenn Frey was still with us
  5. There are others way back like Van Halen, etc but I truly miss The Ugly Americans (and The Scabs) - I honestly don’t remember how many times I saw them. Always a good show and met Sandra Bullock at Antoine’s (might’ve been just Bob Schneider) - overall she’s a pretty cool chick
good stuff

Reactions: Horn Player
What became of David Garvin?? He was a blowhard but seemed like a nice guy
I don't think I've talked to him in 16 years. I believe he's in Dallas, at least that's the last I had heard.

"He also believes that if Texas had lost the national championship game in 2008, it might have created the type of hangover that the 2009 Sooners suffered"

It's kinda hard to take your friend's opinion seriously when he called the 2009 season a hangover, considering Brandford's injury.
They got their ass kicked by BYU in the opener. It wasn't just the Bradford injury.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT