ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Time to double down on Sam...)

I feel like this is a protest vote because I'm a shitty friend.:D
SpectacularFakeBoar-max-1mb.gif

I hear you - and I'm taking that in

I just don't at all feel like the message of where we are / and where we are likely to be in this recruiting class is being talked about - not nearly as big as it should be.

For instance when talking about the Milroe decommitment in the podcast - the HUGE issue that wasn't talked about at all is just the severe last of high level players in that class / regardless of position. It wasn't mentioned once.
"the HUGE issue that wasn't talked about at all is just the severe last of high level players in that class / regardless of position."

Can you repeat that? I just didn't understand it.

"the HUGE issue that wasn't talked about at all is just the severe last of high level players in that class / regardless of position."

Can you repeat that? I just didn't understand it.

Sure

That losing Milroe is huge simply because how many prospects of his talent are in that recruiting class? or anywhere near that level of talent when we thing about conversion % to impact player?

I read it - I read everything here / what was odd to me about that story anwar is what did the first paragraphs about Herman have to do with anything? And such a sunny view ? That made no sense to me the day I read it / you can find my post in the thread stating so that day

Many of us have been mashing that button before the Brockermeyer brothers committed

even on that day Jason posted that we weren’t leaders for bird or foster but that we were in both recruitments - when it should have been obvious we haven’t barely been in fosters for some time and Milroe hadn’t been posting much positive on twitter for months ( downplayed many times by Jason ) -

we’ve been pushing the panic button tons and tons - welcome to the party late I suppose
A) the mods here have never denied the issues.
B) what exactly are you looking for? You want Anwar to whine about the offensive recruiting in every column? Slamming the panic button constantly accomplishes what, exactly?
C) To suggest that Herman has not recruited well since he got here would be at best disingenuous. The poor 2019 season has resulted in the 21 class being disappointing, at least on one side of the ball. It doesn't change how well Texas recruited in the previous three classes.

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
Playing like Tiger in those events doesn't make him like Tiger.

It makes him like Dustin Johnson, no? A Hall of Fame talent with Hall of Fame game without the Hall of Fame results. He's a former world No.1 with one major to his credit and a bunch of No.2s.

He's like the Roy Williams (the receiver) of golf in a way, except he does have a major win.

Correct - point taken: Right now he’s in a Payne Stewart /Lanny Wadkins etc type category- Tiger and Jack are in a category by themselves because they won consistently over a number of years - kind of Bill Belichik/ Red Auerbach slots -

My attempted point was that this kind of domination 30 under and winning by 11
in a semi major is pretty historic. He’s won 22 tournaments including one major and has paired wins in every one of his 13 seasons on tour. I don’t know if they’re related but Brooks Koepka’s PGA dig at Dustin may have lit a fire... You’re right in that his next hill to climb is to do a better job of holding leads on day 4 that he builds in days 1-3. I’m just saying that this victory could be a sign of things to come

With 16 years of hindsight, where would you have ranked him, ol smart Jedi second-guesser?
Well, that’s too easy isn’t it, considering how much better he was than most of that list - lower part of top 5. Not to mention other guys who outproduced most of that list in HS, college and pulled more pro paychecks, such as Harrell and Kingsbury. Just because some guy is 6’3” and 220 in high school doesn’t make him a QB - but that hits very close to home, given our experience in Austin, sadly.

B) what exactly are you looking for? You want Anwar to whine about the offensive recruiting in every column? Slamming the panic button constantly accomplishes what, exactly?
C) To suggest that Herman has not recruited well since he got here would be at best disingenuous. The poor 2019 season has resulted in the 21 class being disappointing, at least on one side of the ball. It doesn't change how well Texas recruited in the previous three classes.

To suggest Herman has recruited well without mentioning this current class is at best disingenuous

The leagues that are the jokes are the ones UT fancies itself as pals and colleagues with... typically.

Fair.

We should applaud them for not mindlessly following off the edge of the cliff like lemmings - doesn't make it an "$ec value" though.

I also do acknowledge that recruiting is suffering due to the bad season - which is Herman's fault.... not some bad hand he was dealt.

Not having a great staff in place - is Herman's fault - not some bad hand he was dealt

He knew what season he'd just had and what was facing him in recruiting - he hired the new staff / if he can't get it done - then it's His fault - not some bad hand he was dealt

I read it - I read everything here / what was odd to me about that story anwar is what did the first paragraphs about Herman have to do with anything? And such a sunny view ? That made no sense to me the day I read it / you can find my post in the thread stating so that day

Many of us have been mashing that button before the Brockermeyer brothers committed

even on that day Jason posted that we weren’t leaders for bird or foster but that we were in both recruitments - when it should have been obvious we haven’t barely been in fosters for some time and Milroe hadn’t been posting much positive on twitter for months ( downplayed many times by Jason )

we’ve been pushing the panic button tons and tons - welcome to the party late I suppose
Let me explain journalism to you. The first four paragraphs of every column is a lede. It involves background, setup, and then trying to make a statement by the fourth paragraph. When you say everything I write is like a press release, you clearly don't understand what one is. A press release states a fact in the first sentence, no attempt at creativity, and then builds from there. Some press releases are positive. Others announce something negative.

Since you want to pull receipts, go back to my column on May 17:

"I am going to reserve judgement on the current Longhorn recruiting class. Clearly, Texas cannot make a living off recruiting 3-star players who might get a bump to 4-stars. I will wait to see what happens with Tommy Brockermeyer, Camar Wheaton, Bryce Foster, and other elite recruits before hitting the panic button. That being said, I totally understand how getting two 3-stars on the same day Oklahoma receives a commitment from 5-star receiver Mario Williams (Plant City, Florida) has Longhorn fans hitting the panic button."
https://texas.forums.rivals.com/thr...-on-succeeding-at-texas.472902/#post-13958157

Go back to what I wrote on July 19 if you say all I provide is a "sunny view":

"Appearing in the Big 12 title game every year has to become the new at Texas.

"It needs to happen this season.

"Not "competing" to get into the game. Every year there are multiple teams "competing" to play against Oklahoma. This game must become an annual event for the Longhorns. It needs to become a surprise when Texas does not appear in this game in contrast to shock when the Longhorns are playing in early December.

"Yep, we are diving straight in on Sunday.

"Orangebloods members expressed their disappointment about losing the Brockermeyer brothers for three straight days. It was a loss. Some have called it the biggest Texas recruiting loss ever. Blake Brockermeyer was an All-American at UT. Kristy Brockermeyer graduated from Texas. Blake’s father, Kay, was an offensive tackle at Texas in 1959. Luke Brockermeyer is currently a sophomore linebacker at Texas. Three generations of Brockermeyers wore burnt orange. This should have been a layup on an eight-foot basketball goal.

"However, family history was not enough for Tommy and James Brockermeyer.

"Texas' recent history was the issue.

"Here is the toughest question Longhorn fans have to ask right now.

"Why would a recruit want to play for Texas?"
https://texas.forums.rivals.com/thr...ecome-the-norm-at-texas.479994/#post-14229988

You're picking a really weird fight, man.

Last edited:
Sure

That losing Milroe is huge simply because how many prospects of his talent are in that recruiting class? or anywhere near that level of talent when we thing about conversion % to impact player?
I feel like it might have been talked about in that podcast (we could have kept going for another hour and not covered everything), but it's talked about a lot.

This class currently has two guys that project as top-tier prospects. Texas needs to sign 3 to 4 times that amount every year. Period.

Correct - point taken: Right now he’s in a Payne Stewart /Lanny Wadkins etc type category- Tiger and Jack are in a category by themselves because they won consistently over a number of years - kind of Bill Belichik/ Red Auerbach slots -

My attempted point was that this kind of domination 30 under and winning by 11
in a semi major is pretty historic. He’s won 22 tournaments including one major and has paired wins in every one of his 13 seasons on tour. I don’t know if they’re related but Brooks Koepka’s PGA dig at Dustin may have lit a fire... You’re right in that his next hill to climb is to do a better job of holding leads on day 4 that he builds in days 1-3. I’m just saying that this victory could be a sign of things to come
If it had been someone else other than Dustin, I think you're right. He's so talented that him boat racing an event like this weekend barely registers.

Also, I'm a fan of Dustin. I root for him in majors. Probably should have mentioned it. Just slipped my mind in a way it wouldn't have if he had blown the damn lead on Sunday.

I feel like it might have been talked about in that podcast (we could have kept going for another hour and not covered everything), but it's talked about a lot.

This class currently has two guys that project as top-tier prospects. Texas needs to sign 3 to 4 times that amount every year. Period.

Fair enough - I agree with the amount of top tier prospects - I believed Milroe was the 3rd in that group. No I don't recall it mentioned as part of the issue of losing him / only talk about the QB position by year.

It's almost like to me - if we don't ABSOLUTELY hit at QB we are totally going to be f'd because of the crap recruiting around the QB. So that makes a huge thing out of something that wouldn't otherwise matter as much.

Thanks for the responses

Well, that’s too easy isn’t it, considering how much better he was than most of that list - lower part of top 5. Not to mention other guys who outproduced most of that list in HS, college and pulled more pro paychecks, such as Harrell and Kingsbury. Just because some guy is 6’3” and 220 in high school doesn’t make him a QB - but that hits very close to home, given our experience in Austin, sadly.
I just think he was probably ranked one tier too low.

I had him as a very borderline four-star quarterback and ranked No.1 in the state, just ahead of another quarterback in Chase Daniel that proved to be too low.

A few thoughts to remember...

a. The camp circuit of today didn't really exist like that back then, so Colt didn't have a chance to really compete against elite talent in front of everyone's eyes the way he would have today.

b. His profile was one that we'd never seen hit in the history of Texas football. I mean... maybe Billy Joe Tolliver. But, no kid had ever come from that area from such a small school and every succeeded at the high college level.

c. He is and forever will be a bit underwhelming from a physical standpoint.

In hindsight, he definitely should have been a four-star and probably closer to the Top 25, but I still understand the thought process of his ranking.

Reactions: rlstep
I also do acknowledge that recruiting is suffering due to the bad season - which is Herman's fault.... not some bad hand he was dealt.

Not having a great staff in place - is Herman's fault - not some bad hand he was dealt

He knew what season he'd just had and what was facing him in recruiting - he hired the new staff / if he can't get it done - then it's His fault - not some bad hand he was dealt
I think if you asked the board, they'd tell you I and a few others harp on the things you're talking about a little too much.

They'd never suggest it's not being mentioned by the mods. I'm pretty much Captain Asshole all the time around here, no?

If it had been someone else other than Dustin, I think you're right. He's so talented that him boat racing an event like this weekend barely registers.

Also, I'm a fan of Dustin. I root for him in majors. Probably should have mentioned it. Just slipped my mind in a way it wouldn't have if he had blown the damn lead on Sunday.

he’s definitely found some creative ways to lose historically- the three putt from within a few feet on 18 at the PGA tournament in Washington to Jason Day( I believe ), grounding his club in a sand bunker, etc etc. At this point it’s all a mind game within his own mind, but this weekend’s tournament may indicate he’s getting on top of it.. I recall earlier in his career he struggled with putting but that looks like it’s a hill climbed now

Fair enough - I agree with the amount of top tier prospects - I believed Milroe was the 3rd in that group. No I don't recall it mentioned as part of the issue of losing him / only talk about the QB position by year.

It's almost like to me - if we don't ABSOLUTELY hit at QB we are totally going to be f'd because of the crap recruiting around the QB. So that makes a huge thing out of something that wouldn't otherwise matter as much.

Thanks for the responses
Yes, he was the No.3 and there's no replacing his void with a like for like talent.

It gets a bit of a pass because of what exists on paper at the position in 2020 and 2022, but the quarterback recruiting grade in the class is probably a D, maybe even an F, when viewed through a vacuum.

he’s definitely found some creative ways to lose historically- the three putt from within a few feet on 18 at the PGA tournament in Washington to Jason Day( I believe ), grounding his club in a sand bunker, etc etc. At this point it’s all a mind game within his own mind, but this weekend’s tournament may indicate he’s getting on top of it.. I recall earlier in his career he struggled with putting but that looks like it’s a hill climbed now
I believe the issue some claim about him is that he doesn't have a mind. He's the kind of meathead that could have hung out with Ogre in the Revenge of the Nerds series.

Nobody is denying that the buck stops with Herman and that it ultimately all falls on him. That particular column you seem to be offended by was about, if I remember correctly, all of the additional adversity being faced due to the global pandemic and potentially not even having a season that he desperately needs to have. I don't think that reality is deniable.

Again, what exactly are you wanting the mods to write? Do you want every article to be that the sky is falling and all is lost? Because that's simply not true. You seem to have a personal agenda and are mad that every statement the mods make doesn't fit inside it.

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
Ehlinger was a rock solid 4-star (just outside the top 100) coming out of HS. By no one's accounts is Wright even close to even that level of prospect.

The discussion topic was how Longhorn QBs from prior years would fare in the current QB room. I still feel Ehlinger would struggle to see the field if he were an incoming FR today. Card is a more advanced passer than Ehlinger was coming out of h.s. Jackson is a better athlete than Ehlinger, can throw all the passes and has greater elusiveness and breakaway speed. Wright may not have Ehlinger's h.s. rankings, but he shows greater range and more downfield accuracy than Sam did as a FR. Who knows, if Wright had the benefit of a strong team around him and played in a high profile program, he might be a 4-star too.

The Outpost and Train to Busan were both pretty good. Train to Busan is Korean and subtitled.

ADVERTISEMENT