ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Time to double down on Sam...)

and you sited a column and a lede paragraph that has nothing to do with either?

You would categorize Herman's recruiting here as a success with no discussion or nuance considering this class?

Hard to disagree. As much as people want to STILL tout Caden Sterns and BJ Foster, the simple fact is currently Brown is a superior player to both.
Yup, he certainly was last year.

Please let one or even both be in the mold of a Rod Wright or better yet, Shaun Rogers. First time in a long time we've had non-tweener monster inside DL guys who can also move. Malcom Brown is the only recent one and he's quite frankly not been that recent.
That depressed me.

Reactions: RLong68
A year ago did you get the sense Herman was looking to move Todd Orlando (along with 6 other assistants)?
Like I said, it's not a heavy sell. It's just this Monday's mood of the room. Next Monday is around the corner. :)

Let's also not forget that Applehwite's path to the starting job in '98 was cleared by 2 injuries to the top of an already thin depth chart. Quite honestly, if Charles Wright WERE Applewhite, he'd still probably never see the field as a starter in his career given what's ahead of him not to mention what's coming.
How different might Chris Simms' career have looked if Richard Walton doesn't get hurt in 1998?

until he gets married.....:)
giphy.gif

No, I don't think you've thought this one out.

I think it's been made very clear what opinions of mine are wanted and not wanted on this board.

Take your shit to the Corral or find another topic to bark to the moon about.
Is socioeconomic status of high star recruits one you’d rather talk about?

Get the flip outta here with the “take your shit to the corral” and follow you’re own damn rules and you won’t have people thinking you’re the worst mod.

Lots of woof in that list. I'm sorry, but from a CFB perspective, at least half of those were busts in college relative to expectations.
They hit at levels that were consistent with the normal metrics.

2 of the 10 were first round picks

7 of the 10 were drafted, including the top six.

All of the kids rated as five-stars made the NFL as drafted players, even if three of them have to be rated as major college quarterback busts.

No.11 on the list is Andrew Luck, which means 8 of 11 would be drafted and three would be top 3 NFL picks

I have 2 recollections of Bobby Reid
1. He heaved at least 2 passes into the stands to avoid sacks at DKR in whatever year
2. He was the inspiration for:
RecentChubbyBergerpicard-small.gif
That kid had a hell of a sophomore season and then the roof caved in on him.

he basically had David Ash's sophomore season.

Is socioeconomic status of high star recruits one you’d rather talk about?
It's not really a big deal. I can't help it that the word "socioeconomic" puts you on tilt, despite there being zero reason for it to cause you to be on tilt. That's a you problem, not a me problem.

You masking it with my mod ranking as some sort of excuse... is again... about you.

Imagine being so self-absorbed with seeking a slight to fit into your warped world view that in a conversation about players with 30-percent failure rates, you'd take exception to it being pointed out that the affluent background of two quarterback prospects might eliminate a percentage point or two off that failure rate when compared to the average prospect at the position.

There's a reason why I received no emails and very little pushback against that point in a world when a lot of people look to find reasons to pushback against things I say or do.

The truth of the matter is that I haven't so much as whispered anything in the last two months that people can get mad about.... but you want to get mad at me so badly... you are inventing reasons to scream a problem exists when 99-percent of the room can see you're significantly reaching.

That's the raw truth.

Can you quote the exact thing you have an issue with?

In the first two paragraphs of fluff (Press Agent crap) that shouldn't even be in this article it states "He has been successful as a recruiter."

When we lost the Brockermeyer brothers - Jason talks about how the O-line class could still be successful with Bird and Foster, says we don't lead for either but that we're in the recruitment for both....doesn't talk about how extremely long a shot we are with Foster (and were at the time / that % on the recruiting board is full of it) - or how we aren't exactly trending well with Bird at that time either / admitting it now but not then.

Did I see you talking about how huge a thing losing them was? Yes absolutely - but Jason was pumping sunshine saying the O-Line class could be salvaged even if it would still be a disappointment.

I bet Jason will not call the current class for what it is - he'll talk about 1 or 2 top prospects that are great as if that makes a class.....and about the upside of the 3 star guys.

It's not really a big deal. I can't help it that the word "socioeconomic" puts you on tilt, despite there being zero reason for it to cause you to be on tilt. That's a you problem, not a me problem.

You masking it with my mod ranking as some sort of excuse... is again... about you.
tenor.gif

Take a look at this list.

11. Andrew Luck (Class of 2008 - No.67 overall)
10. Jevan Snead (Class of 2006 - No. 61 overall)
9. Tyrik Rollison (Class of 2009 - No. 60 overall)
8. Stephen McGee (Class of 2004 - No. 50 overall)
7. Robbie Reid (Class of 2004 - No. 41 overall)
6. Garrett Gilbert (Class of 2009 - No. 18 overall)
5. Russell Shepard (Class of 2009 - No. 7 overall)
4. Matt Stafford (Class of 2006 - No. 6 overall)
2T. Ryan Mallett (Class of 2007 - No. 4 overall)
2T. Rhett Bomar (Class of 2004 - No. 4 overall)
1. Vince Young (Class of 2002 - No. 1 overall)

The three prospects from the most affluent backgrounds are Stafford, Gilbert and Luck.

All made the NFL and two were No.1 overall picks.

That's over the last 20 years. You can cry bloody murder because the word socioeconomic seems to scare you with its use in any context, but I would contend that identifying the profile of kids that have the most success is a key piece of recruiting.

In the first two paragraphs of fluff (Press Agent crap) that shouldn't even be in this article it states "He has been successful as a recruiter."
He HAS had success as a recruiter.

The 2021 class isn't complete and Anwar seems to come from the vantage point that he'll make his big picture thoughts on something when the hay is in the barn and not when the hay is being collected.

Literally, in the same thread someone points out the struggles of the 2021 class and offensive line recruiting and Anwar wrote, "I feel you" or something to that extent.

This just seems like a weird beef. JMO.

He HAS had success as a recruiter.

The 2021 class isn't complete and Anwar seems to come from the vantage point that he'll make his big picture thoughts on something when the hay is in the barn and not when the hay is being collected.

Literally, in the same thread someone points out the struggles of the 2021 class and offensive line recruiting and Anwar wrote, "I feel you" or something to that extent.

This just seems like a weird beef. JMO.

No thoughts on Jason and the Oline class comments? I haven't gone back to find the exact post but feel my summary is very close to accurate

No thoughts on Jason and the Oline class comments? I haven't gone back to find the exact post but feel my summary is very close to accurate
"When we lost the Brockermeyer brothers - Jason talks about how the O-line class could still be successful with Bird and Foster, says we don't lead for either but that we're in the recruitment for both....doesn't talk about how extremely long a shot we are with Foster (and were at the time / that % on the recruiting board is full of it) - or how we aren't exactly trending well with Bird at that time either / admitting it now but not then."

a. Texas privately feels like it leads with Byrd. Just an FYI.

b. He has Byrd and Foster listed at below 50-percent in the most recent recruiting board.

c. They are very much in the recruitments of both.

d. I think he's been more realistic about Foster than anyone else in this market by a country mile. He's been telling people about OU's positioning for MONTHS.

This just feels like weird nitpicks. Believe me, I know about weird nitpicks.

I feel like you are only going to give someone a pass if they say something exactly how you want to be said. They are saying what you are saying, just not how you want it said, and I'm not sure how fair that is.

"When we lost the Brockermeyer brothers - Jason talks about how the O-line class could still be successful with Bird and Foster, says we don't lead for either but that we're in the recruitment for both....doesn't talk about how extremely long a shot we are with Foster (and were at the time / that % on the recruiting board is full of it) - or how we aren't exactly trending well with Bird at that time either / admitting it now but not then."

a. Texas privately feels like it leads with Byrd. Just an FYI.

b. He has Byrd and Foster listed at below 50-percent in the most recent recruiting board.

c. They are very much in the recruitments of both.

d. I think he's been more realistic about Foster than anyone else in this market by a country mile. He's been telling people about OU's positioning for MONTHS.

This just feels like weird nitpicks. Believe me, I know about weird nitpicks.

I feel like you are only going to give someone a pass if they say something exactly how you want to be said. They are saying what you are saying, just not how you want it said, and I'm not sure how fair that is.

I hear you - and I'm taking that in

I just don't at all feel like the message of where we are / and where we are likely to be in this recruiting class is being talked about - not nearly as big as it should be.

For instance when talking about the Milroe decommitment in the podcast - the HUGE issue that wasn't talked about at all is just the severe last of high level players in that class / regardless of position. It wasn't mentioned once.

ADVERTISEMENT