ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Time to double down on Sam...)

The discussion topic was how Longhorn QBs from prior years would fare in the current QB room. I still feel Ehlinger would struggle to see the field if he were an incoming FR today. Card is a more advanced passer than Ehlinger was coming out of h.s. Jackson is a better athlete than Ehlinger, can throw all the passes and has greater elusiveness and breakaway speed. Wright may not have Ehlinger's h.s. rankings, but he shows greater range and more downfield accuracy than Sam did as a FR. Who knows, if Wright had the benefit of a strong team around him and played in a high profile program, he might be a 4-star too.
Just for the record, there are parts of this I don't agree with, specifically the part where you believe he's displayed a greater range and more downfield accuracy.

I feel what you're saying, but I think you've overcooked the grits a little.

The discussion topic was how Longhorn QBs from prior years would fare in the current QB room. I still feel Ehlinger would struggle to see the field if he were an incoming FR today. Card is a more advanced passer than Ehlinger was coming out of h.s. Jackson is a better athlete than Ehlinger, can throw all the passes and has greater elusiveness and breakaway speed. Wright may not have Ehlinger's h.s. rankings, but he shows greater range and more downfield accuracy than Sam did as a FR. Who knows, if Wright had the benefit of a strong team around him and played in a high profile program, he might be a 4-star too.

Has Wright thrown against a similar number of D1 programs that Ehlinger did as a true frosh? At the end of the day, Ehlinger, as a recruit, was seen as a significantly higher QB prospect than Wright.

Just for the record, there are parts of this I don't agree with, specifically the part where you believe he's displayed a greater range and more downfield accuracy.

I feel what you're saying, but I think you've overcooked the grits a little.

I'm just waiting for someone to argue Wright is a better get than Milroe.

giphy.gif
If you mean my gif usage was perfect, you’re damn right homes.

Let me explain journalism to you. The first four paragraphs of every column is a lede. It involves background, setup, and then trying to make a statement by the fourth paragraph. When you say everything I write is like a press release, you clearly don't understand one is. A press release states a fact in the first sentence, no attempt at creativity, and then builds from there. Some press releases are positive. Others announce something negative.

Since you want to pull receipts, go back to my column on May 17:

"I am going to reserve judgement on the current Longhorn recruiting class. Clearly, Texas cannot make a living off recruiting 3-star players who might get a bump to 4-stars. I will wait to see what happens with Tommy Brockermeyer, Camar Wheaton, Bryce Foster, and other elite recruits before hitting the panic button. That being said, I totally understand how getting two 3-stars on the same day Oklahoma receives a commitment from 5-star receiver Mario Williams (Plant City, Florida) has Longhorn fans hitting the panic button."
https://texas.forums.rivals.com/thr...-on-succeeding-at-texas.472902/#post-13958157

Go back to what I wrote on July 19 if you say all I provide is a "sunny view":

"Appearing in the Big 12 title game every year has to become the new at Texas.

"It needs to happen this season.

"Not "competing" to get into the game. Every year there are multiple teams "competing" to play against Oklahoma. This game must become an annual event for the Longhorns. It needs to become a surprise when Texas does not appear in this game in contrast to shock when the Longhorns are playing in early December.

"Yep, we are diving straight in on Sunday.

"Orangebloods members expressed their disappointment about losing the Brockermeyer brothers for three straight days. It was a loss. Some have called it the biggest Texas recruiting loss ever. Blake Brockermeyer was an All-American at UT. Kristy Brockermeyer graduated from Texas. Blake’s father, Kay, was an offensive tackle at Texas in 1959. Luke Brockermeyer is currently a sophomore linebacker at Texas. Three generations of Brockermeyers wore burnt orange. This should have been a layup on an eight-foot basketball goal.

"However, family history was not enough for Tommy and James Brockermeyer.

"Texas' recent history was the issue.

"Here is the toughest question Longhorn fans have to ask right now.

"Why would a recruit want to play for Texas?"
https://texas.forums.rivals.com/thr...ecome-the-norm-at-texas.479994/#post-14229988

You're picking a really weird fight, man.
Another thing that many on here don’t understand is that when you write something, you have to write it as if you’re speaking to someone new to the material each time. Hence the need for background and setup. People on OB make the assumption that everyone is as fanatical as they are about reading every single thing ever written in a timely fashion, which just isn’t true for tons of casual readers or new/visiting members. Many here just lack perspective.

One nagging thing after another.
And for more good news IT reported Bijan was held out with a groin issue.Of course OB reported Keontay was held out of scrimmage one. He has missed practices and is apparently STILL still battling the Hammy from APRIL which is no bueno.
Depth at RB is a real Deal.
Watching at least 10 J Whitt games prior to state, knowing the Whittington family a little ,playing against his Uncle Arthur waaay back when,I'd say they are all cut from the same very high quality cloth.Great family and kid and I hate to see it, but as noted earlier by me and others, Jordan is just wound SO tight, that he will likely //or may often be prone to issue like this.

Your thinking's correct, however the hypothesis should be "if Applewhite were Charles Wright today" he probably wouldn't see the field because of the QB talent he'd have to compete with.

If Charles Wright had been Applewhite in 1998, he might have been just as successful as Major was that season (perhaps more), particularly if Wright was also bolstered by having a Heisman winner at RB and a senior OL surrounding him like Applewhite was.

You could probably make the supposition that Ehlinger wouldn't see the field either if he had to compete against talent like Card, Jackson and Ewers.
Agree, yes.

I think most see it for what it is.

In your opinion does a coaching staff always need at least one rainmaker recruiter to help out the other coaches that might be good position coaches but not that good at recruiting. It feels like Carrington is the best recruiter but he obviously cannot go on the road because he is not a coach.

He looks the part of a super hero ass kicker.No? :D

bgus_1134034_030_robert-pattinson-zoom.jpg
I just can’t describe how poor of a choice he is. It’s F-cking Batman FCS! Even if it’s a good film, I won’t be able to get past him. I’m not sure I’ll ever watch it. Just awful.

Reactions: hornsup21
I just can’t describe how poor of a choice he is. It’s F-cking Batman FCS! Even if it’s a good film, I won’t be able to get past him. I’m not sure I’ll ever watch it. Just awful.
You'll watch. What the hell else will you do?;)

I believe the issue some claim about him is that he doesn't have a mind. He's the kind of meathead that could have hung out with Ogre in the Revenge of the Nerds series.

wow- that’s the first Ogre reference I’ve heard in a couple of decades.. and yes I laughed out loud at it.. thx

b. The last Austin High quarterback prospect that I can remember off the top of my head is Grant Elam from the mid 90s. This is a huge deal for the Austin High community.
@Ketchum - Gotta give my alma matter, the Austin High Maroons, some love! Grant Elam in the 90s is a good call, but in 2003 we had a pretty stellar QB, Nathan Kreutz, who ended up playing for Jim Harbaugh @ San Diego. In 2004, we had son of UT QB Randy McEachern, Hays McEachern, who went to play for Bob Stoops @ OU. In 2008 I believe it was, Austin High had QB Emory Blake, son of Jeff Blake, who went on to be a starting WR for Auburn - winning a national championship with them as a WR. And last but not least, in 2013 we had Isaiah Jones (brother of former UT WR Cayleb Jones), who went to East Carolina, and then went on to be a 2nd round draft pick for the Bills.

We dont produce talent like a bunch of these schools in Texas, but not too shabby for an inner city Austin school! Loyal Forever!

b. The last Austin High quarterback prospect that I can remember off the top of my head is Grant Elam from the mid 90s. This is a huge deal for the Austin High community.
@Ketchum - Gotta give my alma matter, the Austin High Maroons, some love! Grant Elam in the 90s is a good call, but in 2003 we had a pretty stellar QB, Nathan Kreutz, who ended up playing for Jim Harbaugh @ San Diego. In 2004, we had son of UT QB Randy McEachern, Hays McEachern, who went to play for Bob Stoops @ OU. In 2008 I believe it was, Austin High had QB Emory Blake, son of Jeff Blake, who went on to be a starting WR for Auburn - winning a national championship with them as a WR. And last but not least, in 2013 we had Isaiah Jones (brother of former UT WR Cayleb Jones), who went to East Carolina, and then went on to be a 2nd round draft pick for the Bills.

We dont produce talent like a bunch of these schools in Texas, but not too shabby for an inner city Austin school! Loyal Forever!

None of those guys were major D1 guys, though, at least in terms of having offers.

Emory was a true wide receiver recruit in my mind.

a. I'm not writing anything in ink.

b. I'd listen to Anwar's reporting. If he's hearing it's going a certain way, it's going a certain way.

c. For that reason, I never give a shit what other sites report. It hasn't steered me once wrong yet.

Sound a little touchy, Ketch.
A. I love Anwar's work. He's not the only mod around with good sources on scrimmages.

B. I think he was one of mods to mention it.

C. Lighten up.

Last edited:
Sound a little touchy, Ketch.
A. I love Anwar's work. He's not the only mod around with good sources on scrimmages.

B. I think he was one of mods to mention it.

C. Lighten up.
Not touchy, I promise. Just answering honestly.

Also, there are others that do good work in this market. It's just that none of them have to worry about any accountability. It's amazing what other reporters in this market get wrong and never have to answer for... both covering recruiting and football.

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
Not touchy, I promise. Just answering honestly.

Also, there are others that do good work in this market. It's just that none of them have to worry about any accountability. It's amazing what other reporters in this market get wrong and never have to answer for... both covering recruiting and football.
If the only story anyone critic can point to during my seven years of covering the beat is "And ain't even close", a report that was verified by every other website in the market two weeks later (some chose to leave those facts out), I feel very good about my level of accuracy during my tenure.

If the only story anyone critic can point to during my seven years of covering the beat is "And ain't even close", a report that was verified by every other website in the market two weeks later (some chose to leave those facts out), I feel very good about my level of accuracy during my tenure.
I typically feel the same way about 85-percent.

I mean that dude is in his second year of the NFL. It's been a minute. There's no other card in the deck to play? I guess Garrett Gilbert from 2009....

Reactions: Anwar Richardson
I typically feel the same way about 85-percent.

I mean that dude is in his second year of the NFL. It's been a minute. There's no other card in the deck to play? I guess Garrett Gilbert from 2009....
Dude also transferred from A&M after a year, which sort of proves he wasn't 100 percent sold on going to the program, really wanted to attend Texas, but Sumlin tried to smooth things over, and the legacy factor impacted his decision.

Dude also transferred from A&M after a year, which sort of proves he wasn't 100 percent sold on going to the program, really wanted to attend Texas, but Sumlin tried to smooth things over, and the legacy factor impacted his decision.
Technically, he's kind of a recruiting bust.

Not a talent bust.

But, if a kid attends Texas, has to leave over attitude issues or whatever and then makes it somewhere else... he was still a bust for Texas.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT