ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman's big 2018)

Real question for you Ketch. Do you truly think Shane could beat out Sam and start the season, and then keep the starting job until conference play?

I don't think anyone does, so I think most people have already penciled in Sam to be the guy. It doesn't really feel like a QB competition to me. It just feels like trying to get Sam ready for his 2nd season.

I think the real question is, once games start can Sam KEEP the job. I mean, let's not pretend he didn't lose it after the Tech game. Barring injury, Sam is going to start against Maryland. Everyone knows that. The question is, doe he hold onto the job.

Reactions: dtarver
Yeah, that's silly. Nothing warranted a standing O. The optics are terrible.

Journalists with a left wing mindset just don't don't get the public's frustration and disdain for "gotcha" journalism and opposition research type attacks on people. They complain about people bashing the media without a clue why media's reputation is so low. This is a good example.

I think comparing Jordan's round yesterday to Phil Mickelson scenarios is being a bit kind to Jordan at this point. Jordan is really starting to make a habit of not playing well in big moments/from the lead. And it doesn't feel like Mickelson over the top risk taking to me most of the time (maybe the second shot out of the rough on the par 5 that led to double fits that model … just maybe).

Golf is a very tough game mentally and most of us can't even imagine the pressure of trying to play great golf on a Sunday in a major in the last group. But I think it is safe to say that right now Jordan is not handling that pressure well. And nobody knows that better than Jordan himself on this Monday AM.
I'm not suggesting it's a like for like match, just that Sundays in finals can go in any direction in the blink of an eye. Just as likely to see a 63 as you would a 76.

If Ramonce is announced as a guest at a game at DKR, I wonder what the reaction would be if fans gave him a standing O.

I think it would be deserved because he's clearly moved on with his life and his past actions have served as a learning lesson. You?
apples and oranges.

There would be no reaction.

"Josh Hader was given a standing ovation by Milwaukee Brewers fans. Fellas, he's not a victim. He did nothing to warrant such an ovation."

@Ketchum I have been in Milwaukee for 20 plus years. These people are definentlty not racist. They are very sensitive to racism and are very soft hearted people. I have no doubt they were applauding his apologetic overtures and the support of his black team mates. This value of coming together beyond race is a big part of their cultural values. They teach it to their kids and I witness their distaste for racism consistently. I'm sorry, but your reading is wrong and an unfortunate inference against these kind people.

I agree with your interpretation... I believe it was a showing of support for Hader and not an endorsement of the mistakes he made at 17 which he was appropriately contrite and accountable for. I disagree with both extreme takes that have emerged in this thread... that this applause was in some way bad OR that it was some sort of anti-media statement... haha, things are so f'ed nowadays.

"Josh Hader was given a standing ovation by Milwaukee Brewers fans. Fellas, he's not a victim. He did nothing to warrant such an ovation."

@Ketchum I have been in Milwaukee for 20 plus years. These people are definentlty not racist.
Milwaukee is one of the cities in the country with the largest racial issues. You know that to be true, right?

I think the real question is, once games start can Sam KEEP the job. I mean, let's not pretend he didn't lose it after the Tech game. Barring injury, Sam is going to start against Maryland. Everyone knows that. The question is, doe he hold onto the job.
it bears repeating that neither quarterback had a 130+ rating.

The guy that can get over that line (and maybe 140) and stay there keeps the job.

Journalists with a left wing mindset just don't don't get the public's frustration and disdain for "gotcha" journalism and opposition research type attacks on people. They complain about people bashing the media without a clue why media's reputation is so low. This is a good example.
So you'd lift a man who said absolutely wretched hateful things when he was young in the name of showing the left wing mindset a thing or two.

Awesome ideology.

I agree with your interpretation... I believe it was a showing of support for Hader and not an endorsement of the mistakes he made at 17 which he was appropriately contrite and accountable for. I disagree with both extreme takes that have emerged in this thread... that this applause was in some way bad OR that it was some sort of anti-media statement... haha, things are so f'ed nowadays.
The applause was bad. Good grief.

So you'd lift a man who said absolutely wretched hateful things when he was young in the name of showing the left wing mindset a thing or two.

Awesome ideology.

It isn't lifting a man. It is acknowledging an unfairness done to him and showing disdain for the type of tactics used to attack him. The media just doesn't get why their reputation is so low. It is this kind of "find something done years ago in high school" and make a story of it. I get why politicians try to do that to their opponent. Outside the political realm, it is just journalistic sleeze. It isn't even really a left-wing, right wing thing. Watergate was a triumph for journalism, but it left an insatiable desire among journalists to break the next "gotcha" story, whether it merits it or not. This applause is the public's way of expressing itself and its distaste for the publication of the original "hit" story.

It isn't lifting a man. It is acknowledging an unfairness done to him and showing disdain for the type of tactics used to attack him. The media just doesn't get why their reputation is so low. It is this kind of "find something done years ago in high school" and make a story of it. I get why politicians try to do that to their opponent. Outside the political realm, it is just journalistic sleeze. It isn't even really a left-wing, right wing thing. Watergate was a triumph for journalism, but it left an insatiable desire among journalists to break the next "gotcha" story, whether it merits it or not. This applause is the public's way of expressing itself and its distaste for the publication of the original "hit" story.
You seem to have have more hate for the media than you do for the type of horrible things that he said and projected.

Have you seen the comments?

He wasn't treated unfairly. His former actions received some scrutiny. In what world is that not fair?

And yes... giving a man a standing ovation in those circumstances... is lifting him up? In what world is it not?

The very definition of a standing ovation is exactly that.

I'm literally starving for a successful season.

This is exactly where I'm at. I was thinking the other night about what it would feel like to actually win again, and I started getting a feeling in my stomach, no BS. I am starving for a decent season.

Milwaukee is one of the cities in the country with the largest racial issues. You know that to be true, right?
1st, ihow did you quantify that claim. 2ND i do know of their racial issues? I do, I live here and they are VERY different than what you are insinuating. Do you know the dynamics of those issues, their specifics, etc. I do.

Your take on Herman is exactly my take. He very well may become a special coach, but his first year wasn't impressive. Will be an interesting year to say the least.
What scares me is that Herman has only looked 'great' when Greg Ward was at QB. May be just a coincidence, and he does great w/o a super QB, or maybe he'll develop super QBs regularly, who knows.

1st, ihow did you quantify that claim. 2ND i do know of their racial issues? I do, I live here and they are VERY different than what you are insinuating. Do you know the dynamics of those issues, their specifics, etc. I do.
I've heard and read quite a bit about the issues of Milwaukee and race. It's received quite the spotlight.

It's impossible to discuss the horrible optics of that moment this weekend without acknowledging the uncomfortable truths that come with the discussion.

I'm not sure what you're not getting.

Is it even possible for Elliot to be farther in the cosmos from a Coach Tom Herman player?

Wasn't Elliot recruited and signed by and "coached" by the previous coaching staff? Did Elliot EVER buy in to Coach Tom Herman and staff? Is there any evidence that he did?

Elliot's actions recently, and their consequences for Texas football's recruiting and reputation, indicate that Elliot was never a Coach Tom Herman player. What I heard is that the current players, who ARE Coach Tom Herman players, told Elliot to fall back, which is when Elliot's tweets went where they should have been all along, into nonexistence.

Those fall back messages to Elliot from current players came from the REAL Coach Tom Herman players, and are indicative of Herman's relationship with HIS players.

In my post I provide the evidence and reasoning that leads me to conclude that Elliot is UNCHARACTERISTIC of the relationships that Coach Tom Herman has with his current players. Therefore I reject that Elliot CAN be a canary in a coal mine, or a representative warning, of the type of relationships Coach Tom Herman has with the the current players on the team.

Elliot represents the single greatest exception and outlier in terms of Coach Tom Herman's relationships with LAST year's team. He wasn't even representative of that team, except as the exception.

Therefore, I find your statement that Elliot is in any way representative of Coach Tom Herman's current relationships with current players to be incorrect, not objectively supported, and mystifying as to exactly how you came to that conclusion. I'm not getting what leads you to make that assertion.

Judging from the likes on my post I conclude my post cannot be that hard to understand.

You seem to have have more hate for the media than you do for the type of horrible things that he said and projected.

Have you seen the comments?

He wasn't treated unfairly. His former actions received some scrutiny. In what world is that not fair?

And yes... giving a man a standing ovation in those circumstances... is lifting him up? In what world is it not?

The very definition of a standing ovation is exactly that.

I don't hate the media at all. I am just explaining the crowd reaction. Something most journalists don't seem to understand. That you don't understand why this sort of "opposition research" which may or may not have its place in politics, but is unfair outside that realm, shows your disconnect with the public. It wasn't just "His former actions received some scrutiny" it was "someone wanting to trash him researched everything he had ever done, even as a minor, and tried to hurt him with it." That is unfair. That is not something the public believes is fair, nor good, nor something that we should tolerate in our society. Journalism can do society great good when it catches a statesman embezzling, a judge taking bribes, or all manner of our leaders doing bad deeds. That drive to find the "gotcha" disclosure has warped journalists behavior, the public wants real disclosures, not what someone wrote years ago as a minor in high school.

it bears repeating that neither quarterback had a 130+ rating.

The guy that can get over that line (and maybe 140) and stay there keeps the job.

They’ll break 140 ... every offensive unit is better than last year. Not to mention Sam has a full year in the system with starting experience. He’ll rank within the top 5 at the position in the big 12

Is it even possible for Elliot to be farther in the cosmos from a Coach Tom Herman player?

Wasn't Elliot recruited and signed by and "coached" by the previous coaching staff? Did Elliot EVER buy in to Coach Tom Herman and staff? Is there any evidence that he did?

Elliot's actions recently, and their consequences for Texas football's recruiting and reputation, indicate that Elliot was never a Coach Tom Herman player. What I heard is that the current players, who ARE Coach Tom Herman players, told Elliot to fall back, which is when Elliot's tweets went where they should have been all along, into nonexistence.

Those fall back messages to Elliot from current players came from the REAL Coach Tom Herman players, and are indicative of Herman's relationship with HIS players.

In my post I provide the evidence and reasoning that leads me to conclude that Elliot is UNCHARACTERISTIC of the relationships that Coach Tom Herman has with his current players. Therefore I reject that Elliot CAN be a canary in a coal mine, or a representative warning, of the type of relationships Coach Tom Herman has with the the current players on the team.

Elliot represents the single greatest exception and outlier in terms of Coach Tom Herman's relationships with LAST year's team. He wasn't even representative of that team, except as the exception.

Therefore, I find your statement that Elliot is in any way representative of Coach Tom Herman's current relationships with current players to be incorrect, not objectively supported, and mystifying as to exactly how you came to that conclusion. I'm not getting what leads you to make that assertion.

Judging from the likes on my post I conclude my post cannot be that hard to understand.
I agree with almost everything that you wrote.

However, there are still guys that are friends with Elliott and relate to him on this Texas football team. He's not the wild outlier that I believe you make him to be. He's just a guy that had an All-American season and could get out.

The roster isn't 100-percent comprised of guys that are all-in on Herman. It's closer to that number than it was a year ago, but it would be naive to suggest that guys with Elliott's mindset and feelings don't exist.

I don't hate the media at all. I am just explaining the crowd reaction. Something most journalists don't seem to understand. That you don't understand why this sort of "opposition research" which may or may not have its place in politics, but is unfair outside that realm, shows your disconnect with the public. It wasn't just "His former actions received some scrutiny" it was "someone wanting to trash him researched everything he had ever done, even as a minor, and tried to hurt him with it." That is unfair. That is not something the public believes is fair, nor good, nor something that we should tolerate in our society. Journalism can do society great good when it catches a statesman embezzling, a judge taking bribes, or all manner of our leaders doing bad deeds. That drive to find the "gotcha" disclosure has warped journalists behavior, the public wants real disclosures, not what someone wrote years ago as a minor in high school.
It's a problem if you look at the situation with Hader and you're instinct is to care less about the actions and more abut some anti-media movement.

The optics of that situation were awful. Imagine it from the perspective of the people he spoke hatefully about.

whoa.

go on.
We were playing soccer. Simmons was in goal for the other team. He was huge, but a very agile athlete. I am playing on the O end. A ball gets free and is bounding toward goal. I am in pursuit to get the shot. Simmons comes out of goal to grab the ball. He bends down to catch the ball. Simultaneously, my foot swings up to kick the ball. The bottom of my foot slid straight up the front of his face. At this point, I have no idea where the ball went, but Simmons and I are standing there face to face and eye to eye. I’m thinking what the hell is this monster going to do to me. My eyes must have been big as saucers. Simmons takes one of is paws and wipes his face to check for blood. He smiles at me, pats me on the back and we play on. I breath a huge sigh of relief and gain an enormous amount of respect for Bob Simmons.

Reactions: txfight
We were playing soccer. Simmons was in goal for the other team. He was huge, but a very agile athlete. I am playing on the O end. A ball gets free and is bounding toward goal. I am in pursuit to get the shot. Simmons comes out of goal to grab the ball. He bends down to catch the ball. Simultaneously, my foot swings up to kick the ball. The bottom of my foot slid straight up the front of his face. At this point, I have no idea where the ball went, but Simmons and I are standing there face to face and eye to eye. I’m thinking what the hell is this monster going to do to me. My eyes must have been big as saucers. Simmons takes one of is paws and wipes his face to check for blood. He smiles at me, pats me on the back and we play on. I breath a huge sigh of relief and gain an enormous amount of respect for Bob Simmons.
awesome. Sounds like I'd like Bob Simmons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT