ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman's big 2018)

There's a lot to talk about with the 2018 Texas football team as we approach the beginning of one of the most critical months of August that the program has seen this decade.

Quarterbacks. Coordinators. The schedule. Beckyn Hager's hair. Breckyn Hager's quotes. Pool Parties.

Honestly, we could go on for days about the list of topics surrounding this program that have a certain amount of intrigue with them, but I found myself this weekend deciding that the most important and fascinating topic around these parts heading into this season is none other than the head man himself ... Tom Herman.

What you think about Herman after one season as head coach at Texas and two seasons at Houston probably outlines your thought process about what's possible or even likely with the upcoming season.

If you're of the mindset that Herman hung the moon, you likely look at any of the personnel and coaching issues that the program faces entering the season and assume they'll be taken care of because Herman is an elite head coach. Elite college head coaches solve problems and win. That's what makes them elite.

If you're unsure about Herman and can't decide if he's more very good than he is elite, you likely look at this season with concerns about the ability for all of the questions facing this team to be answered in a way that will allow for a successful season (based on the standards that Mack Brown established from 2001-2009).

While it's pretty unpopular to straddle the fence around these parts, I have to admit that I'm pretty unsure about how I personally feel.

On one hand, as I've outlined this off-season, Herman is a guy that really does check off a lot of important boxes as a head coach. When it comes to the CEO aspect of running a program, I find myself impressed with the attention to detail evident in so many aspects.

On the other hand, Herman's record on the field in three years as a head coach is one-part out-of-this-world-good and two parts disappointing. The last two seasons, one at Houston and the other at Texas, left more questions than answers all season. It's why it's hard for me to give the benefit of the doubt after having done so a year ago with a last-minute nine-win season prediction.

Therefore, I sit in opinion purgatory as the season approaches, unable to quite figure out if this season is the beginning of something special or the ignition of a realization that this is the beginning of something less than that.

No. 2 - Something I noticed at Big 12 Media Days ...

Considering how much discussion there will be about the quarterback position in August and throughout the season, it was kind of fascinating to see how little discussion there was about the position in Frisco this week.

In the official transcript, Herman mentioned the names of Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele just once in more than a half hour in front of the media.

Whether it was Herman or the players on hand that represented the university, there wasn't so much as a loud whisper about the position on the day that Texas met with national (and local) media. I suppose it shouldn't be a real shock, as the entire topic seems to have taken on hushed tones from those inside the program. Even when digging around to find out how off-season workouts are going with the players at the quarterback position, the information available is muted.

While we know things will change as soon as the players report for camp, it was hard not to notice that the most buzz created by a Texas quarterback this week in any capacity was Sam Ehlinger's singing chops on Twitter.

No. 3 - Answering Kirk Bohls' question ...

I think the Longhorns currently have six championship-level players going into this season.

WR - Collin Johnson
WR - Lil'Jordan Humphrey
DE - Breckyn Hager
DE/LB - Malcolm Roach
LB - Gary Johnson
CB - Kris Boyd

There are numerous players that have the potential to join these six, but as of now I can only go six (some might question my inclusion of any offensive players).

No. 4 - Story-time with Uncle Ketch...
story-time.png

Although you can't get him to unleash the dragon very easily these days, @Suchomel used to be quite the entertaining dancer.

In fact, one of my favorite things in life was watching himself get lost in a trance whenever the song "Kung-Fu Fighting" would begin to play in a bar after he'd had a few cold beverages. It must have been what it was like to watch Mozart or Baryshnikov in their primes. When he made his way to the dance floor or on top of a bar, you just knew that inspiring greatness in the form of a karate dance routine was about to begin.

It's truly an amazing thing to behold, except for the time he almost kicked Chico Vasquez in the face at The Library on Sixth Street.

In the exact moment, Suchomel was in his prime as a performer and channeling all of his Karate Kid/Bruce Leroy/Bruce Lee mojo with a packed bar appreciating his greatness. As his eyes closed, Suchomel dropped into a trance and a sequence of kicks were going in every direction. Out of nowhere , Vasquez, Kris Clack and pretty much the entire Texas basketball team entered the bar.

For whatever reason, Vasquez wasn't paying attention to what was happening around him in the bar, probably because he was trying to get to the bar. Oh, and why would you ever need to expect that a possible roundhouse kick could be coming your way as you make designs for a Long island Iced Tea.

With his eyes still closed, Suchomel does one of these sideways kicks into the air right and an unsuspecting Vasquez literally had to move out of the way to avoid the other end of some sweet chin music. Suchomel missed by an inch.

And then there was a bit of discomfort, as Suchomel opened his eyes and realized that he'd almost kicked a dude with a serious reach advantage on him in the face, while Vasquez had to process how to feel about almost getting knocked out by a guy that clearly wasn't trying to knock him out.

He was just dancing to Kung-Fu Fighting, a truth that allowed the incident to die as quickly as it ever started.

Vasquez went to get his drink and Suchomel kept dancing.

No. 5 – Buy or Sell …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: By the end of 2018, the Texas OL is considered an average (or better than average) OL in the B12?

(Buy) I am absolutely willing to concede that Herb Hand might get these guys to being average by the end of the season.

BUY or SELL: Is Texas close to losing recruiting presence in the DFW area not just this season, but seasons to come?

(Sell) Texas has already started to lose its recruiting presence.

BUY or SELL: If we start 3-0, then we play in the BIG12 championship game?

(Buy) It's a baby buy, but yeah, a 3-0 start would indicate that things are headed in the championship game type of direction.

BUY or SELL: Tom Herman is not as comfortable as Lincoln Riley in calling his own team’s plays?

(Buy) Well, yeah.

BUY or SELL: If healthy all year— Tre Watson finishes with 500+ yards?

(Buy) He's in a contract year. If he stays healthy, I think he's a guy that might finish with closer to 1,000 yards.

BUY or SELL: In the Tom Herman era, Texas takes home the national championship?

(Sell) See the top of this column.

BUY or SELL: Elliot's tweet earlier this week is a canary in the coal mine regarding Herman's relationship with his players.

(Buy) It's certainly moving in that direction. Little by little, Herman is adding HIS guys to the foundation of the team and that significantly matters. I think it would be naive to think everything is exactly where it needs to be, but Herman is light years closer than he was at this same time a year ago.

BUY or SELL: if Ehlinger doubles his twitter followers between the start of the season and the start of December that means he has played well enough for us to be 9-3?

(Buy) Bingo.

No. 6 - Say what you will about Jordan Spieth, but ..

That dude is must-see theater on a golf course.

On Sunday, it was the kind of theater that he could have done without. As the co-leader heading into the final round at -9, Spieth didn't need to be awesome on Sunday to walk away with a win that would have absolutely saved his season, he just needed to be steady.

He wasn't. He didn't make a birdie all day. There were a couple of disaster moments. Spieth barely made the top 10.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, there might just be a little too much Phil Mickelson in that boy.

The good news is that he'll be back. The bad news is that this probably isn't the last time we'll see what happened on Sunday.

No. 7 - Time to get this man a comped Orangebloods subscription...

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Tiger Woods gave it a good run this weekend and he can hang his head up high ... but, that might be the closest he ever gets to another major.

... Man, Kawhi Leonard wanted to go to Los Angeles (and he still might end up there) and Pop sent his ass to Siberia. That's cold-blooded. On another note, I'm not impressed with what the Spurs received in return.

... I don't know if the Rockets have watched their window for an NBA championship close shut this off-season, but it certainly hasn’t opened more.

... From what downtown... BANG!

... Rest in peace, Tony Sparano.

... Josh Hader was given a standing ovation by Milwaukee Brewers fans. Fellas, he's not a victim. He did nothing to warrant such an ovation. And yet he received it. Sports fans gonna sports fan.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Classic Austin-area Restaurants ...

In the wake of the announcement that The Frisco on Burnet Road will be closing after 65 years in business, I give you my top 10 classic Austin Eat spots (40+ years or older) that are still open.

10. Top Notch (1971)
9. Matt's El Rancho (1952)
8. Huts (1939)
7. Fonda San Miguel (1975)
6. Hoffbrau Steakhouse (1932)
5. Mrs. Johnson's Bakery (1948)

If you haven't stopped by at 5 a.m. after a night of hijinks, you need to.

4. Dirty's (1926)

The likely No. 1 for many reading this column right now.

3. Nau's Enfield Drug (1951)

One of the best burgers in town and a flashback to Austin before the hippies took over.

2. Dan's Hamburgers (1973)

The best burger in town, hands down for four decades.

1. Avenue B Grocery (1909)

You're not really an Austinite if you've never had Ross Mason make you a sandwich in Hyde Park. Get the King Combo. Pay attention to the menu.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

Official scoreboard: Wife 1 Husband 0

Great, Read.
I married a Bama wife...
Wish I’d thought about that on the groom’s cake, but Bevo was on the top. Burnt orange cake would have made it THAT much better! But not the same effect.

Trying to stay optimistic on the season, but call me stupid to staddle fences until proven otherwise. Want to believe...

The arrogance of most Alabama fans I’ve come into contact with cracks me up. Does Alabama winning X number of NCs make anyone think better of it as an institution of higher learning? Short of being an Alabama alum, as an employer would you value a degree from there any more than any other SEC school? It’s all they’ve got to talk about. Yeah, it’d be fun to be a fan in these years when they caught Saban lighting in a bottle, but no way I’d trade our reputation for theirs.

Reactions: BigGulpHorn15
I remember a number of articles last year during the summer and beginning of fall practices quoting Herman about how Deshon Elliot was a leader, had turned things around, and taking over the DB room. Now all of a sudden, he never bought into Herman and was a cancer, and all this BS. Stop it. I haven't heard the Stanford coach or LSU coach talk poorly about Mcaffrey or Fournette for skipping their bowl games. Whether it was his antics on the sideline during the bowl game (with the bag) or these issues with players (Jefferson/Elliot), and even shots he took at the previous staff when he came in (most new coaches keep that stuff to themselves), there is a little bit of immaturity to Herman. Maybe his intelligence overcomes that and Texas wins anyway, but it's something that is definitely there.
When have you heard Herman say anything negative?

Brandon Jones hasn’t shown much yet not sure how he’s championship quality or even close until he shows us something on the field. Kerstetter had a good freshman campaign but was far from being championship quality. Charles O has the potential but again needs to prove it. I think Ketch was right on with his group
I agree that none have done it yet. But the question was how many are Championship quality? I think all of these players have the talent and will get there THIS year. If you talk to the players, they will tell you. All three can be all-conference players.

Reactions: bozans
I honestly don’t think we’re going to be markedly better this year, but I do think most of the teams we’re playing will be worse due to the plethora of veteran quarterbacks graduating/getting drafted last year. Will probably swing a few more games our way this year.

As an aside, this is what honestly scares the shit out of me about the Maryland game. The only really big piece they lost was a WR. I still think they win last year even without him.

*Please don’t lecture me about how we played against Maryland last year and how it won’t happen again this year because honestly, no one knows what will happen. I’m not calling an L to start off the season, but to consider Maryland a gimme is baseless optimism.
Preach Brother
X100

Ketch, good write-up.
On Coach Herman (and some comparisons to Coach Riley up north) - I think we all hoped that replacing the head coach would be like getting a shot of penicillin from the Doc, and all would be well; reality was that the patient was much more ill than we realized. I hope he's the cure, and have my horns up that we will be back in the fray sooner than later. HookEm.

"Josh Hader was given a standing ovation by Milwaukee Brewers fans. Fellas, he's not a victim. He did nothing to warrant such an ovation."

That was an expression of public distaste for the "gotcha" kind of opposition research that has spread from politics to now seeking out any public figure they can embarrass for something they said or thought many years ago. Who thinks it is a good idea (or should matter) to hunt down what someone put in someone else's high school yearbook decades ago or find a class book report where the person said something stupid when in high school? The public is kinda sick of this stuff and it is one reason that bashing of the press resonates with many. If he said that this year, okay. As a minor in high school? It is just stalker level creepy you are even looking that far back.
But yet the SJW’s of this world are going to SJW. Actually when you think about it nothing but pure sanctimonious BS.

There's a lot to talk about with the 2018 Texas football team as we approach the beginning of one of the most critical months of August that the program has seen this decade.

Quarterbacks. Coordinators. The schedule. Beckyn Hager's hair. Breckyn Hager's quotes. Pool Parties.

Honestly, we could go on for days about the list of topics surrounding this program that have a certain amount of intrigue with them, but I found myself this weekend deciding that the most important and fascinating topic around these parts heading into this season is none other than the head man himself ... Tom Herman.

What you think about Herman after one season as head coach at Texas and two seasons at Houston probably outlines your thought process about what's possible or even likely with the upcoming season.

If you're of the mindset that Herman hung the moon, you likely look at any of the personnel and coaching issues that the program faces entering the season and assume they'll be taken care of because Herman is an elite head coach. Elite college head coaches solve problems and win. That's what makes them elite.

If you're unsure about Herman and can't decide if he's more very good than he is elite, you likely look at this season with concerns about the ability for all of the questions facing this team to be answered in a way that will allow for a successful season (based on the standards that Mack Brown established from 2001-2009).

While it's pretty unpopular to straddle the fence around these parts, I have to admit that I'm pretty unsure about how I personally feel.

On one hand, as I've outlined this off-season, Herman is a guy that really does check off a lot of important boxes as a head coach. When it comes to the CEO aspect of running a program, I find myself impressed with the attention to detail evident in so many aspects.

On the other hand, Herman's record on the field in three years as a head coach is one-part out-of-this-world-good and two parts disappointing. The last two seasons, one at Houston and the other at Texas, left more questions than answers all season. It's why it's hard for me to give the benefit of the doubt after having done so a year ago with a last-minute nine-win season prediction.

Therefore, I sit in opinion purgatory as the season approaches, unable to quite figure out if this season is the beginning of something special or the ignition of a realization that this is the beginning of something less than that.

No. 2 - Something I noticed at Big 12 Media Days ...

Considering how much discussion there will be about the quarterback position in August and throughout the season, it was kind of fascinating to see how little discussion there was about the position in Frisco this week.

In the official transcript, Herman mentioned the names of Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele just once in more than a half hour in front of the media.

Whether it was Herman or the players on hand that represented the university, there wasn't so much as a loud whisper about the position on the day that Texas met with national (and local) media. I suppose it shouldn't be a real shock, as the entire topic seems to have taken on hushed tones from those inside the program. Even when digging around to find out how off-season workouts are going with the players at the quarterback position, the information available is muted.

While we know things will change as soon as the players report for camp, it was hard not to notice that the most buzz created by a Texas quarterback this week in any capacity was Sam Ehlinger's singing chops on Twitter.

No. 3 - Answering Kirk Bohls' question ...

I think the Longhorns currently have six championship-level players going into this season.

WR - Collin Johnson
WR - Lil'Jordan Humphrey
DE - Breckyn Hager
DE/LB - Malcolm Roach
LB - Gary Johnson
CB - Kris Boyd

There are numerous players that have the potential to join these six, but as of now I can only go six (some might question my inclusion of any offensive players).

No. 4 - Story-time with Uncle Ketch...
story-time.png

Although you can't get him to unleash the dragon very easily these days, @Suchomel used to be quite the entertaining dancer.

In fact, one of my favorite things in life was watching himself get lost in a trance whenever the song "Kung-Fu Fighting" would begin to play in a bar after he'd had a few cold beverages. It must have been what it was like to watch Mozart or Baryshnikov in their primes. When he made his way to the dance floor or on top of a bar, you just knew that inspiring greatness in the form of a karate dance routine was about to begin.

It's truly an amazing thing to behold, except for the time he almost kicked Chico Vasquez in the face at The Library on Sixth Street.

In the exact moment, Suchomel was in his prime as a performer and channeling all of his Karate Kid/Bruce Leroy/Bruce Lee mojo with a packed bar appreciating his greatness. As his eyes closed, Suchomel dropped into a trance and a sequence of kicks were going in every direction. Out of nowhere , Vasquez, Kris Clack and pretty much the entire Texas basketball team entered the bar.

For whatever reason, Vasquez wasn't paying attention to what was happening around him in the bar, probably because he was trying to get to the bar. Oh, and why would you ever need to expect that a possible roundhouse kick could be coming your way as you make designs for a Long island Iced Tea.

With his eyes still closed, Suchomel does one of these sideways kicks into the air right and an unsuspecting Vasquez literally had to move out of the way to avoid the other end of some sweet chin music. Suchomel missed by an inch.

And then there was a bit of discomfort, as Suchomel opened his eyes and realized that he'd almost kicked a dude with a serious reach advantage on him in the face, while Vasquez had to process how to feel about almost getting knocked out by a guy that clearly wasn't trying to knock him out.

He was just dancing to Kung-Fu Fighting, a truth that allowed the incident to die as quickly as it ever started.

Vasquez went to get his drink and Suchomel kept dancing.

No. 5 – Buy or Sell …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: By the end of 2018, the Texas OL is considered an average (or better than average) OL in the B12?

(Buy) I am absolutely willing to concede that Herb Hand might get these guys to being average by the end of the season.

BUY or SELL: Is Texas close to losing recruiting presence in the DFW area not just this season, but seasons to come?

(Sell) Texas has already started to lose its recruiting presence.

BUY or SELL: If we start 3-0, then we play in the BIG12 championship game?

(Buy) It's a baby buy, but yeah, a 3-0 start would indicate that things are headed in the championship game type of direction.

BUY or SELL: Tom Herman is not as comfortable as Lincoln Riley in calling his own team’s plays?

(Buy) Well, yeah.

BUY or SELL: If healthy all year— Tre Watson finishes with 500+ yards?

(Buy) He's in a contract year. If he stays healthy, I think he's a guy that might finish with closer to 1,000 yards.

BUY or SELL: In the Tom Herman era, Texas takes home the national championship?

(Sell) See the top of this column.

BUY or SELL: Elliot's tweet earlier this week is a canary in the coal mine regarding Herman's relationship with his players.

(Buy) It's certainly moving in that direction. Little by little, Herman is adding HIS guys to the foundation of the team and that significantly matters. I think it would be naive to think everything is exactly where it needs to be, but Herman is light years closer than he was at this same time a year ago.

BUY or SELL: if Ehlinger doubles his twitter followers between the start of the season and the start of December that means he has played well enough for us to be 9-3?

(Buy) Bingo.

No. 6 - Say what you will about Jordan Spieth, but ..

That dude is must-see theater on a golf course.

On Sunday, it was the kind of theater that he could have done without. As the co-leader heading into the final round at -9, Spieth didn't need to be awesome on Sunday to walk away with a win that would have absolutely saved his season, he just needed to be steady.

He wasn't. He didn't make a birdie all day. There were a couple of disaster moments. Spieth barely made the top 10.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, there might just be a little too much Phil Mickelson in that boy.

The good news is that he'll be back. The bad news is that this probably isn't the last time we'll see what happened on Sunday.

No. 7 - Time to get this man a comped Orangebloods subscription...

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Tiger Woods gave it a good run this weekend and he can hang his head up high ... but, that might be the closest he ever gets to another major.

... Man, Kawhi Leonard wanted to go to Los Angeles (and he still might end up there) and Pop sent his ass to Siberia. That's cold-blooded. On another note, I'm not impressed with what the Spurs received in return.

... I don't know if the Rockets have watched their window for an NBA championship close shut this off-season, but it certainly hasn’t opened more.

... From what downtown... BANG!

... Rest in peace, Tony Sparano.

... Josh Hader was given a standing ovation by Milwaukee Brewers fans. Fellas, he's not a victim. He did nothing to warrant such an ovation. And yet he received it. Sports fans gonna sports fan.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Classic Austin-area Restaurants ...

In the wake of the announcement that The Frisco on Burnet Road will be closing after 65 years in business, I give you my top 10 classic Austin Eat spots (40+ years or older) that are still open.

10. Top Notch (1971)
9. Matt's El Rancho (1952)
8. Huts (1939)
7. Fonda San Miguel (1975)
6. Hoffbrau Steakhouse (1932)
5. Mrs. Johnson's Bakery (1948)

If you haven't stopped by at 5 a.m. after a night of hijinks, you need to.

4. Dirty's (1926)

The likely No. 1 for many reading this column right now.

3. Nau's Enfield Drug (1951)

One of the best burgers in town and a flashback to Austin before the hippies took over.

2. Dan's Hamburgers (1973)

The best burger in town, hands down for four decades.

1. Avenue B Grocery (1909)

You're not really an Austinite if you've never had Ross Mason make you a sandwich in Hyde Park. Get the King Combo. Pay attention to the menu.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

Official scoreboard: Wife 1 Husband 0

Thanks for the Austin Top 10.

Someone doesn’t know what canary in a coal mine means.

If Lorenzo Cain (current teammate and African American) says Hader is good and he holds no ill will, not sure white boy from Austin has room to tell me how I should feel about how people react to him.

Reactions: Ppranger86
Not having a championship caliber quarterback is pretty telling as far as the overall record is concerned.

Very, very good write-up. Do you not notes during the weeks for ideas you'll write about in this column, do write full paragraphs during the week and then splice them together or do you sit down Sunday afternoon, reflect and bang the entire thing out in two hours, lol? Interested to know how you. Induct this part of your business. Do the other mods write in a similar fashion? Maybe you guys can kick that around on a podcast sometime. Enjoy the podcasts immensely, by the way.
I usually make it up on the fly as I go on Sunday..

Reactions: Big Stoop
People felt like he was being persecuted for something he did when he was a 17 year old kid. He didn't break any laws. He didn't hurt anyone.

Jeremy Hill raped a girl in high school and assaulted a guy in college (while on probation for that rape), and ESPN couldn't give two sh!ts about that. In fact, they made a video about his successful rebound from raping a girl and assaulting a guy...

http://www.espn.com/core/video/iframe?id=12117756&endcard=false

But say something racist on twitter when you're 17, and people will try to ruin your life. Racism is wrong, and saying that word like that is absolutely wrong, but we need to get our priorities straight...
Blah blah blah.

Nothing warranted a standing O.

Is it even possible for Elliot to be farther in the cosmos from a Coach Tom Herman player?

Wasn't Elliot recruited and signed by and "coached" by the previous coaching staff? Did Elliot EVER buy in to Coach Tom Herman and staff? Is there any evidence that he did?

Elliot's actions recently, and their consequences for Texas football's recruiting and reputation, indicate that Elliot was never a Coach Tom Herman player. What I heard is that the current players, who ARE Coach Tom Herman players, told Elliot to fall back, which is when Elliot's tweets went where they should have been all along, into nonexistence.

Those fall back messages to Elliot from current players came from the REAL Coach Tom Herman players, and are indicative of Herman's relationship with HIS players.

No offense, but sometimes I don't get you.
I'm not sure what you're not getting.

Real question for you Ketch. Do you truly think Shane could beat out Sam and start the season, and then keep the starting job until conference play?

I don't think anyone does, so I think most people have already penciled in Sam to be the guy. It doesn't really feel like a QB competition to me. It just feels like trying to get Sam ready for his 2nd season.
Agreed. But, I think Buechele is probably closer than all of us that see it like you see it would think.

I know I’ll get some snarky remark but in over 17 yrs of feeding this place 10.00 a month that is the most mail it in column in the history of this place.

Not one damn bit of new info , recruiting news or team coverage.......that was straight up piss poor.

Time to beat the bushes and get some new sources.

Flame away.
Thanks!

Having a hard time reconciling your listing GJ as one of our championship caliber players but when some of us thought it was ludicrous for him to not be on preseason Big 12 lists you acted like we were nuts.
I didn't act like you were nuts. I simply tried to explain how it rationally happened.

Is it even possible for Elliot to be farther in the cosmos from a Coach Tom Herman player?

Wasn't Elliot recruited and signed by and "coached" by the previous coaching staff? Did Elliot EVER buy in to Coach Tom Herman and staff? Is there any evidence that he did?

Elliot's actions recently, and their consequences for Texas football's recruiting and reputation, indicate that Elliot was never a Coach Tom Herman player. What I heard is that the current players, who ARE Coach Tom Herman players, told Elliot to fall back, which is when Elliot's tweets went where they should have been all along, into nonexistence.

Those fall back messages to Elliot from current players came from the REAL Coach Tom Herman players, and are indicative of Herman's relationship with HIS players.

No offense, but sometimes I don't get you.
I actually wonder if Ketch doesn’t understand that a “canary in a coal mine” means a warning......his actually answer is more “sell” than “buya’. I agree with all your points...and if there are current players not on-board, they will soon be supplanted with players that are. His players at UH loved him and played like it.

"Josh Hader was given a standing ovation by Milwaukee Brewers fans. Fellas, he's not a victim. He did nothing to warrant such an ovation."

That was an expression of public distaste for the "gotcha" kind of opposition research that has spread from politics to now seeking out any public figure they can embarrass for something they said or thought many years ago. Who thinks it is a good idea (or should matter) to hunt down what someone put in someone else's high school yearbook decades ago or find a class book report where the person said something stupid when in high school? The public is kinda sick of this stuff and it is one reason that bashing of the press resonates with many. If he said that this year, okay. As a minor in high school? It is just stalker level creepy you are even looking that far back.
Yeah, that's silly. Nothing warranted a standing O. The optics are terrible.

I love that you’re already off the bandwagon 13 games into the Herman era. This will be shoved so far up your ass when you’re wrong. And no backtracking. Herman won’t win a national title at Texas is your position. Noted.
It's not my job to be on the bandwagon because it makes you guys feel good.

Reactions: TD TX TD VY
When it comes to the CEO aspect of running a program, I find myself impressed with the attention to detail evident in so many aspects.

Wasn't this everyone's gripe about Mack Brown.

Herman has learned to temper expectations. Calling the OL last year the best that he ever coached couldn't have turned out any worse. He doesn't make the same mistake twice.

Also "championship caliber what"? Big12 or BCS? Big difference. If your talking Big 12, we have more than 6. You can add Anderson, Brandon Jones, Kerkstetter, even Charles O. OU doesn't have more than 9 or 10.
None of those players have proven to be that kind of player yet, although I and you both expect jumps up this year.

Omenihu is a perfect example.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT