ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What makes a recruiting class successful?)

He's capable of much more but our o-line is still the weak link and the play calling/substituting that this offense has shown would make it hard for Barry Sanders to crack 1200 yards. This is why IMO 5 star RBs are going to be hard to land.
I felt like the coaches tried to limit Ingram on purpose this year for recruiting reasons. Having a 1,000-yard freshman back would be more off-putting than playcalling/O-line

Reactions: hook_em27
I'm expecting 2020 to be a different animal than 2019.

Ketch, what has Herman shown that he can out recruit Jimbo for top in state talent? Why do you expect next year to be different?

Ketch, what has Herman shown that he can out recruit Jimbo for top in state talent? Why do you expect next year to be different?
I think Jimbo got the first year bump that Tom got. I think it'll be a little tougher in 2020.

I felt like the coaches tried to limit Ingram on purpose this year for recruiting reasons. Having a 1,000-yard freshman back would be more off-putting than playcalling/O-line
And he wasn't 100% for a large part of the season. However it just seems to me that this offense is going to rely on a QB that can move the chains with his legs as well as his arm and feeding a back with enough carries to enter the 1200 yard zone will be tough. Sam will eat into the carries any back has next year (and rightly so) and our line has a better future ahead, but not next year. The linemen we signed last year will benefit big time by the red shirt year and McKnights' presence but it is still a season or 2 away from hopefully being dominant. I've said it for years here that recruiting the big boys on both sides of the ball is crucial and we seem to be out done buy our rivals. JUCO has got to save the day in our immediate future.

And he wasn't 100% for a large part of the season. However it just seems to me that this offense is going to rely on a QB that can move the chains with his legs as well as his arm and feeding a back with enough carries to enter the 1200 yard zone will be tough. Sam will eat into the carries any back has next year (and rightly so) and our line has a better future ahead, but not next year. The linemen we signed last year will benefit big time by the red shirt year and McKnights' presence but it is still a season or 2 away from hopefully being dominant. I've said it for years here that recruiting the big boys on both sides of the ball is crucial and we seem to be out done buy our rivals. JUCO has got to save the day in our immediate future.
Ingram needs to average about 30 yards more per game next year to hit that number. I think it's very possible.

Ingram needs to average about 30 yards more per game next year to hit that number. I think it's very possible.
Yes it is. Healthy Ingram, better o-line as far as depth is concerned should produce the yards. His health and durability will be the most important thing I will be hoping and praying for not only next year but for his entire career. Happy Holidays Ketch. I have enjoyed reading your stuff and I hope to do so for a long time.

BUY or SELL: The best Texas running back next season is not even on campus yet?

(Sell) K-e-o-n-t-a-y I-n-g-r-a-m. Barring injuries, I think he's going to be a 1,200-yard back next season.

No coincidence this is your post in the War Room in the week of signing day, with three RB's on the line. You are a jewel, Ketch.

giphy.gif

Yes it is. Healthy Ingram, better o-line as far as depth is concerned should produce the yards. His health and durability will be the most important thing I will be hoping and praying for not only next year but for his entire career. Happy Holidays Ketch. I have enjoyed reading your stuff and I hope to do so for a long time.
Happy Holidays, my friend! May your family have a blessed time together.

BUY or SELL: The best Texas running back next season is not even on campus yet?

(Sell) K-e-o-n-t-a-y I-n-g-r-a-m. Barring injuries, I think he's going to be a 1,200-yard back next season.

No coincidence this is your post in the War Room in the week of signing day, with three RB's on the line. You are a jewel, Ketch.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

I think some of you have forgotten what it looked like when Mack arrived at the end of 1997 and what he was able to do to the entire state. He changed the way everyone recruited, and dominated Texas in a way that is almost unfathomable today.

@Ketchum,

I take it from your omission of responding directly to my question that you realize you got carried away saying Mack was the greatest recruiter in college football. Saban probably deserves that designation.

I'm pretty certain you know I haven't forgotten anything about what Texas football looked like in 1997, and I'd been closely following Texas football for 35 years by then. I remember that Texas had one of only two of its eventual Heisman trophy winners on campus when Mack arrived, one he didn't bring to Texas himself, but was extremely fortunate to have in his first year on campus. What head coach has that kind of luck upon which to base building his recruiting fortunes and recruiting momentum?

If Mack and Powers hadn't blocked Saban coming to Texas, you probably couldn't seriously argue Mack was the best recruiter at Texas. And that assertion assumes you believe Mack was a better recruiter than Darrell Royal, an argument I find fundamentally suspect considering DKR had THREE National Championship winning teams, ELEVEN SWC winning teams, TWO Eddie Robinson coach of the year awards, TWO AFCA coach of the year awards, TWO Sporting News coach of the year awards, the Bryant Lifetime Achievement award, the Stagg award, and has his name on the stadium.

I haven't forgotten. DKR dominated recruiting in Texas even more than Mack did. IMO. Texas was 1-9 in 1956, the year DKR arrived in December, and he didn't have a Heisman winner on the team, but the record improved to 6-4-1, that's 5 games better. Have you forgotten what Texas football was like in 1956?

So recruiting class is ok and great compared to big 12 but one of UTs worst in terms of instate hauls. Current status in Big 12 just continues to feel like dieing days in SWC. In state kids didn’t want to go to that conference either.
I think your analysis is dead wrong, and it's a tired argument. If the Big 12 was as bad as you claim, top in-state kids wouldn't be committing to OU. But they have. And top out-of-state kids would shun UT. But they haven't. We've only had one good year in the last several, and it's not even over yet. All of us want UT to be national champions immediately but it just takes time to rebuild a program.

Ketch, if you had to predict today on LilJordan and Colin Johnson staying or going pro what would it be?

This I agree with. Tom's offense hasn't had a back close to 1000 yards, let alone 1200, the entire time he's been a head coach. Maybe it's because his OL has sucked in talent, but I think a lot has to do with his blocking schemes and his marriage to strict inside and outside zone blocking and not just a lack of talent. The top 3 rushing teams in the B12 (BlowU, OSU and KSU) all used a lot of moving linemen and H-Backs to pull and seal. It was something we seldom did and the one game we did it (ISU) a lot we had our best rushing night of the season with Watson going for over 100 yards. I just don't think KI is special enough to get 1200 yards in this run game.

Hook'em
Not to summon the spirit of a certain poster to re-appear here, but is what we've seen the "power spread" offense that we thought was gong to be implemented?

I'm just not sure who is keeping Ingram off the field next year. It was a different deal in 2018 because they had a senior and he was a true freshman in need of a year in the weight room.
I'm not sure it's just a matter of touches. You just can't extrapolate KI's future total yards based on Watson's carries this year. His 4 ypc average may very well suffer with more carries as he racks up more TFL's and just more physical damage. Anyway, my comment agreeing with the other poster was more about Herman's run game history since he's been a head coach and less to do about KI and his running talents.

Hook'em

@Ketchum,

I take it from your omission of responding directly to my question that you realize you got carried away saying Mack was the greatest recruiter in college football. Saban probably deserves that designation.

I'm pretty certain you know I haven't forgotten anything about what Texas football looked like in 1997, and I'd been closely following Texas football for 35 years by then. I remember that Texas had one of only two of its eventual Heisman trophy winners on campus when Mack arrived, one he didn't bring to Texas himself, but was extremely fortunate to have in his first year on campus. What head coach has that kind of luck upon which to base building his recruiting fortunes and recruiting momentum?

If Mack and Powers hadn't blocked Saban coming to Texas, you probably couldn't seriously argue Mack was the best recruiter at Texas. And that assertion assumes you believe Mack was a better recruiter than Darrell Royal, an argument I find fundamentally suspect considering DKR had THREE National Championship winning teams, ELEVEN SWC winning teams, TWO Eddie Robinson coach of the year awards, TWO AFCA coach of the year awards, TWO Sporting News coach of the year awards, the Bryant Lifetime Achievement award, the Stagg award, and has his name on the stadium.

I haven't forgotten. DKR dominated recruiting in Texas even more than Mack did. IMO. Texas was 1-9 in 1956, the year DKR arrived in December, and he didn't have a Heisman winner on the team, but the record improved to 6-4-1, that's 5 games better. Have you forgotten what Texas football was like in 1956?
I didn't forget anything. It's slightly apples to oranges. Despite all of the success that Saban has had, he doesn't do it within the framework that mack worked in.

Also, Mack wasn't dirty.

I'm not sure it's just a matter of touches. You just can't extrapolate KI's future total yards based on Watson's carries this year. His 4 ypc average may very well suffer with more carries as he racks up more TFL's and just more physical damage. Anyway, my comment agreeing with the other poster was more about Herman's run game history since he's been a head coach and less to do about KI and his running talents.

Hook'em
Herman has a limited run game history. He's only been a head coach for four years,

Reactions: horns--21
- The hope within the building is this year's success on-the-field will help with the 2020 in-state class. We shall see.

- Andrew Cooker stepped off campus and immediately decided he was going to TCU? That stings.

- I don't think Texas and Oklahoma are locks to be in the Big 12 Championship Game because of the four-stars. Mike Gundy coaches the hell out of his three-stars. Dana Holgorsen is a good coach who has cornered the transfer market. Any of those programs can sneak into the championship game because they're led by good coaches.

- It will be interesting to see what Buechele does after the season. He will have definitely have options.

- Andrew Beck was only first-team offensive player on the the All Big-12 Team. Lil' Jordan Humphrey was honorable mention. Collin Johnson wasn't on the list. My point always was "for what they're asked to do ... " Clearly, Beck isn't a better athlete than LJH or Johnson, and the TE room isn't better than WR room. But I believe you recently said Beck has a chance to be drafted, and it's safe to say he exceeded your preseason expectations.

- We love Aaron Rodgers, but this has been tough to watch.

- The hope within the building is this year's success on-the-field will help with the 2020 in-state class. We shall see.

- Andrew Cooker stepped off campus and immediately decided he was going to TCU? That stings.

- I don't think Texas and Oklahoma are locks to be in the Big 12 Championship Game because of the four-stars. Mike Gundy coaches the hell out of his three-stars. Dana Holgorsen is a good coach who has cornered the transfer market. Any of those programs can sneak into the championship game because they're led by good coaches.

- It will be interesting to see what Buechele does after the season. He will have definitely have options.

- Andrew Beck was only first-team offensive player on the the All Big-12 Team. Lil' Jordan Humphrey was honorable mention. Collin Johnson wasn't on the list. My point always was "for what they're asked to do ... " Clearly, Beck isn't a better athlete than LJH or Johnson, and the TE room isn't better than WR room. But I believe you recently said Beck has a chance to be drafted, and it's safe to say he exceeded your preseason expectations.

- We love Aaron Rodgers, but this has been tough to watch.
a. It can't get worse...

b. Yup.

c. Texas and Oklahoma have major talent advantages. When these programs are coached well, they are year in and year out the best in the Big 12. The gap will only widen moving forward.

d. Arkansas and SMU both seem confident.

e. Andrew Beck was first-team All-Big 12 by default. He doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the receivers. That being said, he did more than I thought hew would.

Zack Shackelford also made all-big 12. We gonna put him in the same sentence with the receivers, too? He doesn't even belong in the same sentence as Sam Cosmi.

f. Indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT