ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (With doubt in the air, UT created some belief on Saturday...)

You said I acted in a way I tend to act. I just asked for one example.

Your seeing unintended emphasis on the word “tend”. Happy to rephrase it to ‘lean’ to prematurely dismissing a coach that doesn’t produce results quickly enough.

Hopefully we take a lesson from Army and commit to the run against blowU. This team can run the ball!

Reactions: HorntoWin
We reliably ran the ball on early downs for solid yardage which allowed us to keep Sam in decent down and distance and own time of possession, which ultimately had an impact in breaking the opponents will. The stats aren’t great but the emergence of a credible running game is one of the biggest differences to my eyes between good Texas football and crap Texas football no matter what the stats say.
I'm just saying that not sucking is being seen as credible. This is still one of the worst running games in the country when you look at four games worth of data.

Your seeing unintended emphasis on the word “tend”. Happy to rephrase it to ‘lean’ to prematurely dismissing a coach that doesn’t produce results quickly enough.
I just don't think there's any example that you can list that proves I lean towards doing this. That's my point.

Did I do that with Mack? Charlie?

Excellent column Geoffrey.

giphy.gif

What is different about this k-state team than last year? I recall we struggled with Delton when he came in last year
Well,I'd say not being able to gain six inches is a good place to start.;)

Honestly, that offense is awful in every respect.

Reactions: HookEm02
Seriously Jeff, but you probably need to consider doing a YouTube channel podcast or something along those lines, instead of doing a FaceBook livestream you would probably have a lot less technical issues that seem to keep on having.

I'm just saying that there might..."might"... be some confirmation bias in Texas fans feeling good about what amounts to the second worst running game in the Big 12 by almost every measurable way.
I think the optimism is in Keontay Ingram. He has led to at least 1 td drive each game hes played in given the very limited series he gets. Him running the football adds a noticeable spark to the offense.

Unfortunately, he's only getting 8 carries/game at 5.8 ypc. The ceiling of this year's running game depends on his number of carries.

Reactions: BigSkyHorn
Seriously Jeff, but you probably need to consider doing a YouTube channel podcast or something along those lines, instead of doing a FaceBook livestream you would probably have a lot less technical issues that seem to keep on having.
BeLive sucks.

I think the optimism is in Keontay Ingram. He has led to at least 1 td drive each game hes played in given the very limited series he gets. Him running the football adds a noticeable spark to the offense.

Unfortunately, he's only getting 8 carries/game at 5.8 ypc. The ceiling of this year's running game depends on his number for carries.
I love me some Keontay. I think there's plenty of reason to be optimistic about his role as it grows.

Well,I'd say not being able to gain six inches is a good place to start.;)

Honestly, that offense is awful in every respect.
So basically if our defense shows up and we don’t turn the ball over a bunch then we’ll win?

Agree about good teams coming up
with points in bunches like we have done the past two games. Many times you see teams like Bama or Ohio State locked in a fairly tight game. You check the score a few minutes later and they have put up 17 points.
Great point....that was us from 2004-2009...

Reactions: MikeCorleone
I had a bad read on the game? I literally predicted everything that happened spot on until four minutes remained in the third quarter.

I didn't realize 4.0 yards per carry at this level was the bar for success for you.

No dog here with you and RL, but yes, I'll take 4 YPC against TCU every single year as long as Patterson is coaching there. They have been a + D since Patterson's 1st year in Big 12 (2012) and other than with D Foreman we have been stuffed in running game. The only back to average 4 YPC before yesterday against Patterson was D Foreman.

Pretty sure it did not happen other than having an NFL RB during our miserable record against TCU this decade. Last year ('17), D. Young had 31 yards on 12 carries for 2.6 and 'tip toes' Warren had 1 carry for 3 yards.

'15 and '16 we had a quality NFL back (D Foreman) who ran for more than 4 YPC (won one).

In '14 Malcolm Brown carried 10x for 30 yards and J Gray had 15 carries for ZERO yards.

In '13, we won 30-6, but only averaged 3.6 YPC on the ground.

In 2012, we averaged 2.6 YPC.

I'll take 4 YPC for our top 2 backs any day against a Patterson D. That's a winning number far more often than not with our current D.

Against most teams, need and expect more than that, but against Patterson, that's a pretty solid day at the office.

And yes, I agree you called the first 3 quarters spot on. 4th Q surprised us all.

Unfortunately, he's only getting 8 carries/game at 5.8 ypc. The ceiling of this year's running game depends on his number of carries.

It was great to see Ingram and Watson moving the ball effectively in the second half. Although things worked out, I was perplexed as to why they let off the ground attack.

I suppose the pass and catch to LJH answers my inquiry.

In any case, I want to see more running game!

I just don't think there's any example that you can list that proves I lean towards doing this. That's my point.

Did I do that with Mack? Charlie?

My poor choice of words has confused the question, I’m not not saying you did.

What I’m asking is that if you have a financial interest in having very successful team, and if you doubt the current coach can get us there, can you be objective in your criticism?

One the one hand, the mods stress the point that they are journalists and not fans, and thus are objective in their opinions, yet a financial stake in team success would seem to contradict impartiality.

No. 5 - My current Top 5 Longhorns ...

1. Caden Sterns
2. Collin Johnson
3. Lil'Jordan Humphrey
4. Gary Johnson
5. Kris Boyd (narrowly over Brandon Jones)

I agree in terms of production. I really like Tre Watson, though. Dude is a class act through and through.

He's got one season to improve his draft status, and he's one of the most bought-in, team players that loves Texas and gives props to it, the city, and the coaches regularly.

Lasting image of him on the last Game Day Final where he's headed back down the tunnel after the game with arm around a young kid (could be brother?). Just seems like a great guy and good ambassador... Calvin Anderson, too. Nice grad transfers.

We all shared many of the concerns heading into the game and frankly, through 2+ quarters, all those concerns appeared to be justified. Slow start on offense, wasted possessions, bizarre calls.

With one strike and a dive, the tide turned and quick. Orlando’s D was once again the spark that lit the fuse and thankfully, the offense finally capitalized.

To truly achieve what they want to achieve, the O is going to have to quit wasting halves of football games dithering.

Well said.

If we ever play start playing the whole game the way we played the 2nd half against TCU and USC we are going to be one heck of a team! Maybe our backups will get some viable PT.

I can not get down with including Tony Soprano on your list of bad guys. I mean, yeah, he was a gangster and as such was prone to thugish tendencies but he was the antihero of the whole show. I tuned in every single episode pulling for Tony to get a leg up on anybody that tried to get in his way. The bad guy is somebody that you cheer about when they get smacked down. Negan and Al Swearengen definitely fit that role. Hell, even Adebisi with his comical little beanie deserves to be on that list more than Tony.

Reactions: misterdee
Good read. I had the same concerns about Herman and now have the same faith in him you describe. Let’s see how well the offense keeps developing, but I feel like he will need man up and beef up the OC spot at the end of season.

not really offended about all of the mods picking against us......but I had my own vision of how the game would go down and the gameday crew saw it the same way.

When some of you explained your reasoning for picking tcu was that they have our number and have beaten us 4 years in a row. Just don't understand that reasoning. In my opinion you should look at team A as it stands today versus team B as it stands today.

We win on paper in almost every category across the board....yet none of the mods on the Longhorn site thought we could win. It's more strange than upsetting. Now calling us aggie on facebook live......that is upsetting:)

Love the facebook live podcast.....it's a good way to wind down the day and get your takes. Some of them good and some that make us scratch our heads.

and Ramsey Bolton cut somebody's dong off......what do you have to do to make your list:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT