Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Cleo McDowell, Frank Erwin & more...)

Type O

There is no such thing as a “Texas aggie.”
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2001
Dallas
Great possible Top 10 list! Talk about subjective!

Other candidates off the top of my head..

Gandhi
Nelson Mandela
Mother Teresa (if you change it to persons🙂)
FDR
MLK (timely😏)

roughorangie

Gold Member
Jan 30, 2002
Eltife is what the system needs. Things ran pretty good when Erwin ran the show. A man of thought and action is a good thing.

bkrichmd1

Dec 3, 2012
Southlake, Texas
I was having a conversation with a well-connected Texas-Ex this weekend about the changes in the football program when the subject of Board of Regents chairman Kevin Eltife came up.

"That's not his job," the Houston resident griped. "He's not supposed to hire football coaches. He's the chair for the entire Texas system."

"Well, I think he's kind of a hero to a lot of people," I replied. "He's getting a lot of credit for there being excitement in the program."

"Who does he think he is, Frank Erwin?" he shot back.

"I think he'd find that to be a compliment," I joked. "It's not an accident that everyone at the press conference made a point to call him 'boss' in front of everyone else. Frank would have loved that, right?"

"Who is going to be the defensive coordinator," he finally asked after taking my comment in for a few seconds.

You’re wrong about Kevin. He was not there to be the boss. Your “well connected Texas-Ex” should know why he was involved.

Type O

There is no such thing as a “Texas aggie.”
Gold Member
Sep 9, 2001
Dallas
Einstein.
Orwell.

Einstein is a good one.

Was thinking about Jobs or Gates, but their contributions bridge the 20th to the 21st century, and not sure if all of it is really positive (he says as he types on his iPhone🤭).

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
You’re wrong about Kevin. He was not there to be the boss. Your “well connected Texas-Ex” should know why he was involved.
I don't think it's a bad thing at all, but he's hardly been a wallflower. He's literally been front and center of every photo and event.

They literally held up the first zoom meeting on the day he was hired so that they could make sure he was on it.

Reactions: Type O

PureTexan

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas, TX
When Harry Met Sally. Dude.

giphy.gif
Winner

Reactions: danlaw08

HuffTex

Gold Member
Mar 26, 2006
AMERICA
Here's the thing about When Harry Met Sally vs. the Hanks/Ryan duo of movies...

You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle are actually touching moving that makes you yearn for the couple to get together in the end. WHMS doesn't do that.

Also, while the orgasm scene in WHMS is all-time great, I'll take the pound for pound scene stealing greatness of Parker Posey, a sprinkle of Dave Chappelle, late 90s email and a great nanny bit every day of the week and twice on Sundays if we're talking about committing two hours to the cause.
Nice effort. Not convincing, but you clearly tried.

GilmerHorn

Gold Member
Jan 19, 2015
Dallas
It was a good list but I’ll add some also Rand:
Addicted to love.
Grosse Pointe Blank.
The mirror has two faces.
Tin Cup.
So I married an axe murderer.
Don Juan Demarco.
Fools rush in.
Beautiful Girls.
Only You.

danlaw08

Someone's Getting Overshowned
Gold Member
Mar 8, 2012
I think When Harry Met Sally is kind of dated and not Meg's best.

You CLEARLY haven't learned not to **** with Mr. Zero.

Btw,
Harry Burns : Please, Jess, Marie. Do me a favor, for your own good, put your name in your books right now before they get mixed up and you won't know whose is whose. 'Cause someday, believe it or not, you'll go 15 rounds over who's gonna get this coffee table. This stupid wagon wheel ROY ROGERS GARAGE SALE COFFEE TABLE!

Jess : I thought you liked it!

Harry Burns : I WAS BEING NICE!

Reactions: txsfight

jspirohorn

Gold Member
Aug 7, 2003
Houston, TX
Here's the thing about When Harry Met Sally vs. the Hanks/Ryan duo of movies...

You've Got Mail and Sleepless in Seattle are actually touching moving that makes you yearn for the couple to get together in the end. WHMS doesn't do that.

Also, while the orgasm scene in WHMS is all-time great, I'll take the pound for pound scene stealing greatness of Parker Posey, a sprinkle of Dave Chappelle, late 90s email and a great nanny bit every day of the week and twice on Sundays if we're talking about committing two hours to the cause.
When Harry met Sally is a must watch, if only for one all-time line: Harry and Jess are at the Giants game in between doing the wave. Jess tells Harry that his wife's affair wasn't the problem, it was only a symptom of a deeper problem. Harry responds: "well, that symptom is f'ng my wife!"

bkrichmd1

Dec 3, 2012
Southlake, Texas
I don't think it's a bad thing at all, but he's hardly been a wallflower. He's literally been front and center of every photo and event.

They literally held up the first zoom meeting on the day he was hired so that they could make sure he was on it.
Personally it isn’t a bad thing, Kevin is a good guy. But the exact reason why he was in the position of all the stuff you just said was for the people that were irritated by Herman.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
Personally it isn’t a bad thing, Kevin is a good guy. But the exact reason why he was in the position of all the stuff you just said was for the people that were irritated by Herman.
Indeed. He's where folks want him to be. Same with Hartzell. None of this happened by accident.

rlstep

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2008
You’ve Got Mail.

Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Dave Chappelle, Dabney Coleman, John Roberts, Greg Kinnear, Parker Posey, Jean Stapleton, Steve Zahn.

Good comic relief woven into story.

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
You’ve Got Mail.

Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, Dave Chappelle, Dabney Coleman, John Roberts, Greg Kinnear, Parker Posey, Jean Stapleton, Steve Zahn.

Good comic relief woven into story.
The cast is a monster and no one puts in a bad shift.

Reactions: rlstep

danlaw08

Someone's Getting Overshowned
Gold Member
Mar 8, 2012
am I allowed to say I hate the plot of this movie, although I don't hate the movie.

Lloyd has moments where he comes across as super pathetic.

You certainly can't already lower the board's opinion of your movie tastes any more than they are. Why not? ;-)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
You certainly can't already lower the board's opinion of your movie tastes any more than they are. Why not? ;-)
Am I wrong about his being more than a little pathetic?

I mean... there are clingers and then there's Lloyd. Have some damn respect, son!

• Haha

prohias

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2020
"My Best Friend's Wedding" has to be in a rom com top 10 list.

I also love "It Happened One Night", but that is more of a Screwball Comedy/Rom Com. A classic that won the 1934 Oscar for Best Picture. Did I mention it's old?

Reactions: texasfight!

Mike.Tip

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
a. It did very well for half a decade. Lots of big decisions supported by big ideas/money.

I think good culture is really hard to build. It's the kind of thing that people talk about a lot, but if it were easy, everyone would have it.
It is also much to do with the mentality and buy in of 18-21 year old players. Let’s face it. These kids are in the prime years for a later episode of “if I only knew then what I know now”. The culture at Clemson and Bama is easy when you are three deep at every position with national top 250 players. Someone doesn’t fit the culture you jump on it right away and send them packing if they don’t come around. It’s much easier to play the blame game when the product is mediocre to good. Hard to say that culture is holding back Bama/Clemson/tosu. Much easier to speculate if we could have won a couple of more games if the CTH teams had better culture/buy in.

Reactions: SarkAfterDark

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
It is also much to do with the mentality and buy in of 18-21 year old players. Let’s face it. These kids are in the prime years for a later episode of “if I only knew then what I know now”. The culture at Clemson and Bama is easy when you are three deep at every position with national top 250 players. Someone doesn’t fit the culture you jump on it right away and send them packing if they don’t come around. It’s much easier to play the blame game when the product is mediocre to good. Hard to say that culture is holding back Bama/Clemson/tosu. Much easier to speculate if we could have won a couple of more games if the CTH teams had better culture/buy in.
elite quarterbacking helps.

Reactions: Mike.Tip

SamTexas

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2004
Love to have seen Katy v Westlake and Cedar Hill v SL Carroll

longhornmjc

Gold Member
Aug 7, 2003
Fever pitch with Jimmy Fallon & Drew Berrymore was a great movie & like bull Durham you gets some sports with it

LSM_Zach

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2014
ATX
www.lonestarmusic.com
Sleepless in Seattle is painful.

My go to's when the wife wants a "chick flick" that aren't on your list:

When Harry Met Sally
The Big Sick
The Wedding Singer
Hitch

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
The Ugly Truth
Begin Again
Yesterday

You were on a roll with the first 4.

The Wedding Singer scores highly with me because of this (obviously):

Other good choices are pretty much every Jason Sudeikis comedy (not all conventional rom-coms but the guy has a good eye for picking scripts):
We're the Millers
Kodachrome
Booksmart
Drinking Buddies
Horrible Bosses 1 (2 was pretty bad)
Hall Pass
Tumbledown

And...

A Good Old Fashioned Orgy (I had somehow never heard of this flick until maybe 2 years ago - it's great)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
You were on a roll with the first 4.

The Wedding Singer scores highly with me because of this (obviously):

Other good choices are pretty much every Jason Sudeikis comedy (not all conventional rom-coms but the guy has a good eye for picking scripts):
We're the Millers
Kodachrome
Booksmart
Drinking Buddies
Horrible Bosses 1 (2 was pretty bad)
Hall Pass
Tumbledown

And...

A Good Old Fashioned Orgy (I had somehow never heard of this flick until maybe 2 years ago - it's great)
That is an interesting string of romcoms you got there!