ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Have you heard who I hate?)

In the world we live in, having a question -- any question -- about someone is seen as the ultimate sign of disrespect. Either slobber all over a guy or you’re a hater.

I. AM. HATER. HEAR. ME. ROAR. CLICKBAIT. YOLO.

Obviously, some of the miscommunication certainly must be my fault, as a good carpenter never blames his tools. If folks can't understand the distinctions I'm trying to make about these prospects, I need to be more clear.

people taking one bit of information & building up an entire narrative in their heads is sometimes frustrating & other times hilarious...the fact you continue to attempt to talk people of those ledges after all these years is admirable, but, I'm kinda surprised & impressed you can muster up any give a shit about it anymore...you're definitely a more patient man than me, but, my lifestyle isn't dependent on not going scorched earth either...keep fighting the good fight... :cool:

Reactions: Ketchum and Duanej6
I'll go on record now saying Ewers has a much better college career than Murphy. I'd take Ewers all day over Murphy. Easy decision

While I'm glad Texas got Murphy, it's more due to the momentum thing and nothing more. I don't believe he does bigtime things at the college level in terms individual stats or wins. I'll duck now.

Biggest thing for Texas is to keep going after the top talent. Texas is in great shape at the QB spot as long as they can keep Card on campus. But they need to keep adding talent. So far, so good.

Duck? Nah.

But tell me why

Well, the odds are certainly in my favor. Most guys flop. But After college I spent two years working as a GA doing lots of qb film study of the opposing team. The thing about Ewers is all his evaluation can be done on tape in big games playing against elite competition. He makes plays and is very accurate and makes quick reads.

With Murphy we have none of that. And honestly, I'm just not seeing it in the 7 on 7 stuff. And if I did I would completely discount it. I want to see him make plays on the field in pressure situations before I'd say he's anything close to Ewers

With Murphy we have none of that. And honestly, I'm just not seeing it in the 7 on 7 stuff. And if I did I would completely discount it. I want to see him make plays on the field in pressure situations before I'd say he's anything close to Ewers

Fair, subject to your re-eval after seeing him in game action this year.

Reactions: El Mahico
We have been missing two elements with our QB talent the last 5 years.

Coaching/Development & OLine. Seems like with our new coaches, they have proven development history to get QBs ready for the NFL.

Jury still out on our OLine.
I think Flood could coach me and 4 other fat guys into a workable offensive line.

• Love
Reactions: DrHorn98
Fair, subject to your re-eval after seeing him in game action this year.

100%

This is just my take until I see more on the field. But I trust sark. But I also believe sark is doing his best to gain needed momentum.

Still, I'd take Ewers all day over him and I think under normal circumstances sark would too.

Reactions: Rotarran9116
This is bold.

Might go down as Ketch-ism one day, might not.
Just curious, what metrics do you use to evaluate QB's? Footwork, Balance, Anticipation, Touch, Football velocity, Distance, Composure, Completion percentage, Accuracy, Footspeed, Win/Loss percentage, Completions vs Int's, Leadership? What is it that influences you to rate Stafford so high out of High School? For me, Murphy has the IT Thing, his personality and leadership inspires. But at the same time zip on his ball against 7on7 is deceptive. Make that same completion when you have to either throw through windows or with arc over defenders. Rally your team after having thrown an interception, throw your receiver open. For that matter throw the ball away when needed. I am hoping he can channel his Vince Young; let your balls hang bitches.

If it’s close between Card and Thompson, can you really start Thompson over him?
How would it look if local austin product, card, transferred and tore it up elsewhere. We’d never live it down

Card must be clearly superior or there is a serious risk of splitting the team along racial lines. Thompson has paid his dues, is known to be incredibly committed to preparing for each game despite knowing he was highly unlikely to see the field and he was lights out when given the opportunity in the Alamo Bowl.
Those who want to use divisiveness to “bring down white culture” have not gone away. They will reappear in opposition to the committee report on TEOT. They will continue to claim racism where there is none. They do not accept that merit should determine outcomes. Naming Card over Thompson will fit their narrative nicely. The outside agitation would surely crescendo.
This single decision could wreck the Sarkisian era at Texas before it gets untracked.
My prediction is that we are going to see both Thompson and Card splitting time until Sark feels the team will accept one or the other as their QB. The one who “loses” very well may enter the transfer portal following the 2021 season.... especially if it is Thompson.

Last edited:
Let’s go back 57 years to prove Shaka is good. Man, that’s doin’ work. Anybody with a brain knows Texas basketball was an afterthought until Penders in the late 80s. All due respect to Abe and the 78 NIT Champs who were an outlier.

Let’s compare Shaka to his two immediate predecessors who combined for one FF, 3 Elite 8 and 3 more Sweet 16s.

Let’s see Shaka get to round 2. There’s your perspective.
I'm not sure the point of the process was to prove that Shaka was good.

It was to show that this season has been better so far than most people have appreciated it for.

Not to concern with Owens speed, at least not right now he's only a sophomore.
El Ced did not have blazing speed and he went on to Texas 2nd all time rusher.
Different kids of players with different types of skill sets and different competition.

By the end of Benson's sophomore year, he had already scored six touchdowns in a state championship win.

Just my opinion, but people tend to overrate arm strength quite often. It’s an important factor , of course. but good decision making, accuracy, poise under pressure, quick delivery, and maneuverability in and out of the pocket are crucial. I’m impressed with Ewers very much and just haven’t seen Murphy in a real game. So I wouldn’t go overboard about Murphy yet. I think he’s a key recruit because he’s from CA, in addition to his potential.
No one has gone overboard with him.

If it’s close between Card and Thompson, can you really start Thompson over him?
How would it look if local austin product, card, transferred and tore it up elsewhere. We’d never live it down
I'm curious what Sark's personal tie breakers are.

Reactions: bevobrett
people taking one bit of information & building up an entire narrative in their heads is sometimes frustrating & other times hilarious...the fact you continue to attempt to talk people of those ledges after all these years is admirable, but, I'm kinda surprised & impressed you can muster up any give a shit about it anymore...you're definitely a more patient man than me, but, my lifestyle isn't dependent on not going scorched earth either...keep fighting the good fight... :cool:

:cool:

The thing about Ewers is all his evaluation can be done on tape in big games playing against elite competition. /QUOTE]
I dunno. I think you're kind if ignoring a few elements....

And I stopped reading at the point where I cut off the sentence.

Stafford might have the best arm of anyone in the NFL has had in the last decade.
Strongest arm yes... but Aaron Rodgers has more arm talent than Stafford. Again, are we just not aligned on the term? This is how I have usually seen it defined...

Arm Talent
This is a loose term that refers to the ability to consistently make every type of throw. By this definition, arm talent would include arm strength because it takes arm strength to make deep passes to the sideline as well as passes far downfield. This does not mean that a quarterback has to have an elite arm, but simply that he has enough arm strength to make deep and intermediate passes. Arm talent also includes accuracy, because every type of throw includes proper ball placement. One aspect of arm talent that often overlooked is touch. Certain throws require taking something off or lobbing a pass over a defender. Even though raw strength is not a factor in touch, this is not an easy skill.

For a quarterback to have arm talent, he would have to have all three of these traits. A player like Colin Kaepernick might have an amazing arm, but struggles making touch passes; therefore, he does not have arm talent, he has great arm strength. Although he has tried to work on his touch, he has not shown that he can consistently make those passes – further evidence that arm talent is an inherent trait. Aaron Rodgers, on the other hand, can make every type of throw, from amazing Hail Mary passes, to pin-point sideline passes, to seam passes that barely get over the outstretched fingertips of a linebacker. He has arm talent – maybe the best arm talent in the world.

ADVERTISEMENT