ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Heads need to roll in Waco)

No, no. I would absolutely expect them to post thoughts on the story. The whole sports world is talking about it. What I wouldn't expect is the bizarre crusade that it's become. I wouldn't expect the Tweets every 5-6 minutes begging Briles, Baylor, or anyone they can find to engage with them. I wouldn't expect them to take all this so personally when none of them are even remotely connected to the story. I also wouldn't expect my little buddy, BOBA, to get banned for voicing some dissent.

Make no mistake in where I'm coming from. This is a massive story. What it's not is anything to do with the O-Bloods staff. I find misc emoting on the subject by those in no way involved and the Twitter campaign to be strange at best and disingenuous at worst. I hope I've clarified things on my front. If you disagree, more power to ya.
Definitely disagree, and seems you are in the minority, not that there's anything wrong with that. I have no problem with Ketch taking this on as a cause. Every man....every person should have their causes that they are willing to lay it on the line for.

Reactions: Take Dead Aim
Definitely disagree, and seems you are in the minority, not that there's anything wrong with that. I have no problem with Ketch taking this on as a cause. Every man....every person should have their causes that they are willing to lay it on the line for.

What cause is that, exactly?

You're being silly now.

I'm not. At all. What cause do you think they're championing? Seriously. With all the periphery info, the weeping, the Twitter campaign.... What's the goal? What's the endgame? That's what I mean. What cause is being championed here? Fire Art Briles? For what, exactly? Arrest Art Briles for rape?

Man.... What are you talking about?

It is quite obvious to everyone at this point what your agenda is. Clearly you have some connection to the Baylor program, and clearly you have gone on a mission to just mess with people at this point. Time to put the bottle down and call it a night.

Geoff,

I really think you are an idiot. The entire story has not come out and you are judge, jury and executioner. I don't know the entire story, which is why I am waiting for more information. One thing is clear, Boisie State told the player's high school coach the same thing they told Briles. I don't care if you ban me, that is your right as site owner. The issue here is that you are blaming a coach for an institutional breakdown. This issue is bigger than Baylor, it is rampant in our society. If you want to get on your high horse, make a societal issue, not a Baylor issue.

All big schools have problems. If Baylor had allowed this kid to participate in practice, play in a game, etc. you would be right. This kid never practiced or played with the team, Baylor allowed due process to take place, and the jury returned a probated sentence. You are just tired of Baylor kicking our ass which is our fault, not Baylors.

I have three daughters. I know what it is like to have girls. Let the entire story play out before you call for heads to roll...

While there's a lot of blather against Ketch's lov I think you make a good point for patience. Lawyers and crisis managers could easily be mucking up a more human and empathetic response.

Now that said, I felt like Ketch outlined a pretty good case for the most likely path. And it's been an ugly road of bad decisions.

I like another's response about the school and coach paying for the crime more than the dang rapist. Light sentence? Was it just a little rape? A light sexual assault? Would love to hear the jury's explanation on that.

While there's a lot of blather against Ketch's lov I think you make a good point for patience. Lawyers and crisis managers could easily be mucking up a more human and empathetic response.

Now that said, I felt like Ketch outlined a pretty good case for the most likely path. And it's been an ugly road of bad decisions.

I like another's response about the school and coach paying for the crime more than the dang rapist. Light sentence? Was it just a little rape? A light sexual assault? Would love to hear the jury's explanation on that.

That should say POV not lov

I'm not. At all. What cause do you think they're championing? Seriously. With all the periphery info, the weeping, the Twitter campaign.... What's the goal? What's the endgame? That's what I mean. What cause is being championed here? Fire Art Briles? For what, exactly?

Join in to help create the noise that will eventually cause the right people to act. After all, he has a pretty good size soapbox. Several people deserve to be fired over this. For what happened before the crime, and much more so after. Not have a deal like at ND where no one did anything and the girl killed herself. I have often disagreed with Ketch but bottom line is, this is his deal, his website, his business. He can do as he pleases. Don't think it matters to him who agrees or disagrees on this one. I've taken stands in my life and business, and something tells me you have, too. Some of it maybe from the old dude on the radio telling him he was too small to make a difference. If so.....so be it. I would have done the same. I'm guessing you would have to. We can all just agree to disagree. It'll all be okay. Hook'em.

I'm not. At all. What cause do you think they're championing? Seriously. With all the periphery info, the weeping, the Twitter campaign.... What's the goal? What's the endgame? That's what I mean. What cause is being championed here? Fire Art Briles? For what, exactly? Arrest Art Briles for rape?

For the victim of a crime...a crime that was enabled by adults who were supposed to protect her. Man, I feel sorry for you if your moral compass can't fixate on that. And it turns out that you are indeed questioning the motives of good people.

For the victim of a crime...a crime that was enabled by adults who were supposed to protect her. Man, I feel sorry for you if your moral compass can't fixate on that. And it turns out that you are indeed questioning the motives of good people.

You're so missing the point. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at the leaders of the internal investigation of the case. Be mad at the Boise PD for not going after the guy when all of his alleged other issues happened. Be mad at us for creating a society that is obsessed with the results on a field. Be mad at the NCAA for suspending kids for having a sandwich with an assistant on that coaches dime while they allow allegedly violent kids to transfer from place to place unencumbered. Be mad at Mack Brown for blaming narcolepsy when Sergio Kindle nearly murdered several people by driving through an apartment building. Be mad at Mack Brown when Case and Jordan Hicks ran a train on a girl, filmed it, and it just went away. There are lots of places to be mad. I'm just not sure that Art Briles is the rational place for that anger to land. I'm also not sure that Art Briles would be the fixation had he not taken Baylor where many believe they have no place being.

See where I'm going with all that? Don't make the asinine assumption that I don't feel for the victim. Nothing about what's going on here feels like it has anything to really do with the victim to me. Perhaps I should attempt to drum up a Twitter battle with Art Briles to prove I care. Or perhaps I should weep. Or..... Do you see? Do you see how some may find it a bit off?

If you don't feel the same way, that's fine. I haven't really tried to share my feelings about the situation on here. I offered my thoughts on the thread that got BOBA banned. My main issue was that some folks don't feel a certain way and they shouldn't be booted off the site for that disagreement. I'm not at all trying to convince anyone of anything. Just providing a differing viewpoint shared by more than a few folks.

Reactions: rgvsarrman88
I offered my thoughts on the thread that got BOBA banned. My main issue was that some folks don't feel a certain way and they shouldn't be booted off the site for that disagreement..

Honest question: Can we not agree that BOBA got booted more for a body of work of trolling, than for a stance in one thread? Also, I knew right when it happened, he'd be okay and back in a day or two. Pretty sure he's had a few time outs before. I guess what I'm asking is, if we keep debating this topic , which is a big topic to many here, can we leave BOBA's time out out of it? If it's a major point to you, then I understand.

Also don't see the point in bringing up the Case and Jordan tag team. That girl was a willing participant.

Reactions: utexashorns88
You're so missing the point. You want to be mad at someone? Be mad at the leaders of the internal investigation of the case. Be mad at the Boise PD for not going after the guy when all of his alleged other issues happened. Be mad at us for creating a society that is obsessed with the results on a field. Be mad at the NCAA for suspending kids for having a sandwich with an assistant on that coaches dime while they allow allegedly violent kids to transfer from place to place unencumbered. Be mad at Mack Brown for blaming narcolepsy when Sergio Kindle nearly murdered several people by driving through an apartment building. Be mad at Mack Brown when Case and Jordan Hicks ran a train on a girl, filmed it, and it just went away. There are lots of places to be mad. I'm just not sure that Art Briles is the rational place for that anger to land. I'm also not sure that Art Briles would be the fixation had he not taken Baylor where many believe they have no place being.

See where I'm going with all that? Don't make the asinine assumption that I don't feel for the victim. Nothing about what's going on here feels like it has anything to really do with the victim to me. Perhaps I should attempt to drum up a Twitter battle with Art Briles to prove I care. Or perhaps I should weep. Or..... Do you see? Do you see how some may find it a bit off?

If you don't feel the same way, that's fine. I haven't really tried to share my feelings about the situation on here. I offered my thoughts on the thread that got BOBA banned. My main issue was that some folks don't feel a certain way and they shouldn't be booted off the site for that disagreement. I'm not at all trying to convince anyone of anything. Just providing a differing viewpoint shared by more than a few folks.
A few things if you care to read and digest them from someone that has an intimate knowledge of the legal system, evidence rules, procedural rules, and some idea of basic communication between individuals that doesn't always come across as it may be intended:
  • First, I know you do not have an agenda that is in anyway looking to protect Briles/Baylor as @Take Dead Aim has suggested. I don't really know you as a poster TDA, but @texasguy2310 is unquestionably an entrenched Longhorn fan and graduate if memory serves me correctly. This is not an issue where some Baylor troll is outing themselves;
  • Second, the Boise PD shouldn't be in the conversation here. Boise St., it's administration, and coach all acted swiftly to get this animal out of their program and school. I've seen nothing to suggest that his ex-girlfriend who was the subject of his violence was looking to press charges which is not shocking. She was scared, went to the administration/police, they protected her and had a plan to keep her away from Sam U., called his parents to inform them of what happened, and basically expelled him from campus. If Baylor acted in an even remotely similar fashion, do you think anyone is talking about this right now?
  • Bringing up other miscellaneous issues with the NCAA when a now convicted rapist--say that outloud: a convicted rapist--was allowed to stay on campus, protected by the administration and coaching staff when they said a few months ago they expected him to return to play football after his "issues" (which is apparently Baylor code for "rape trial") were resolved, is completely irrelevant when discussing this specific topic. Could we have a long talk about necessary reforms to the NCAA? Sure, we could do that for a while, but when it comes to a female being raped, then basically ignored and forced out of the university by the university administration, it's not really the time or place to have that discussion. This goes for the Case/Hicks situation as well--while those guys will never be confused with upstanding gentlemen by anyone that knows that story, they didn't pin down an 18 year old virgin, rape her, tell her "this isn't rape" while raping her, then stay enrolled and graduate while standing trial for rape at their respective universities (later being convicted of rape).
  • Art Briles knew the kids violent history against women, admitting he knew of a "rocky relationship with his ex-girlfriend," and I know you aren't the person that believes Briles' bullshit about that subject coming up only in the context that the kid was depressed. Peterson issued his statement that he fully appraised Briles of the situation and Briles changed his story in less than 12 hours to include the fact he knew of the relationship history of the ex-girlfriend, which he earlier said nothing other than depression and being homesick was ever discussed. You would think that asshole would bring up knowing about the ex-girlfriend, even if he's lying about the context, originally when he's denying knowledge about anything unless he thinks no one will call him out which is exactly what Peterson did. That is not an insignificant detail to omit when that ex-girlfriend is testifying against your player;
  • I think your issue is with who is covering it in detail and why--which when stepping back and viewing objectively, I don't think you're making a bad point--although the fact someone/anyone is trying to keep this at the forefront of discussion, regardless of motivation, isn't a bad thing IMO. It's disgusting what happened and I don't really care if the heat that stays on Briles/Baylor is coming from an objective or biased journalist--I just hope it keeps coming;
  • I think I've covered my thoughts on the BOBA issue, but despite all the thoughts I feel like I've spelled out in pretty specific detail, I think I've come around to the position that I hope @Ketchum let's him back on the board after a couple week timeout. I've seen guys like @echeese (see, tagged ya!) benefit from a little time-off when they were really pissing off a lot of people (rightly or wrongly), and BOBA probably deserves the same instead of an outright ban. I can't believe I'm typing that and it probably won't change my stance on reading his posts, but fair is fair is fair.

Societally, we have a problem with respecting & protecting women. The situation at Baylor is just an extreme example of a culture that frequently dehumanizes women. It's amazing to watch the comments roll in when a beautiful woman, who is not connected to anyone on OB, is posted on the board. It's a barrage of comments about PIIHB, f'ing her raw, drinking her bathwater, motorboat gifs, phallic eruption gifs, etc. Yet, when someone posts something about his wife or daughter (who happens to be a beautiful), you see the restrained comments: "What a beautiful young lady", "you must be proud", "you out kicked your coverage", etc.

Why do we assign value & respect to the women in our own lives (and expect others to as well), but aren't willing to offer that same value & respect to the women in others' lives, whom we have no connection to? Why do we, as a society, demand that men respect women physically, but not verbally? If women are worthy of respect, value, and protection, then they're worthy it in both words & actions.........and at all times, not just when it comes to physical harm. Just my $.02.

Iceman gets it and I am confident many others do also. Congrats to us all. We learned.

Having said that, it is exasperating to say the least that women are still demeaned by some on this board and elsewhere, and yet if you ask these same people about their mother, wife, sister, daughter, etc., you hear about their heartfelt pride in accomplishment, their love and admiration, and a sincere sense of loss if something happens to them, even if it is their death from natural causes.

We have made much progress in this area in my lifetime as we learned - sometimes begrudgingly - that women are not only quite capable of demanding and deserving of our respect on a personal level, but also in the classroom, the boardroom and at the highest levels of public service.

Regrettably, we still have a lot of work to do when it comes to violence towards woman, as evidenced by recent sports news stories and conversations on this board. Yeah, Baylor is on the front page right now, but think back when Coach Strong was hired. It will be awhile before I forget the opposition by some because among other things he was not going to tolerate his players mistreating women. Ironically, his core beliefs are what most of use as a baseline standard for rearing our children.

I don't know what causes this sometimes violent behavior much less disrespect towards women, but I believe it can change, even if we have to learn the why and the how one man at a time. Thanks to Iceman for laying the predicate in a forceful and easy to understand manner.

Okay, personal preference for reading UT sports stories aside, I agree that this story may be well-intentioned, but it is not supported by known, hard, facts. At this point of he-said versus he-said with a sprinkling of truths and partial truths and loads of innuendo, to take sides with such conviction and self-assured righteousness is folly in the least and libelous in the worst. I too have daughters, one just today beginning her freshman year at OU (o u have no idea how I've suffered). I am very much a supporter of avid protection of all students from predators of any type. However, the vindictive tone (no, not undertone) of this writing suggests either a personal issue with Briles or one with "Christian schools" or perhaps, both. Really? The only two relevant offenders are Notre Dame and Baylor? This type of "football first" mentality only exists at private/christian schools and doesn't exist at the other 95% of universities...the public ones? Campus assault and rape in particular is a serious matter that is not new and needs further illumination. Serious, sincere, efforts at exposure are welcome. Half-hearted, half-researched, half-sappy musings are distractions from the real journalism needed to advance the matter professionally.

By the way, where was your righteous indignation and 3,200 word treatise when Bob Stoops let Joe Mixon back on campus?

Stick to sports, where opinion is customary. Or at least stick to proven facts when criticizing people's actions.
All those words and not a direct or specific complaint, just generalities. What specifically did you have an issue with? Let's start there.

Second, I was all over Bob Stoops like stink on shit over the Mixon incident, DGB and going all the way back to Dusty D. That ol' dog ain't gonna hunt, son.

I'd tell you to stick to something, but this post doesn't give any indication of what you do well.

Coming at me isn't it, that's for sure.

Reactions: cordpetee
What I wouldn't expect is the bizarre crusade that it's become. I wouldn't expect the Tweets every 5-6 minutes begging Briles, Baylor, or anyone they can find to engage with them. I wouldn't expect them to take all this so personally when none of them are even remotely connected to the story. I also wouldn't expect my little buddy, BOBA, to get banned for voicing some dissent.
Sexual assaults impact all of us. Mothers, girl friends, wives, sisters, cousins, aunts.

You'll find I'm quite active in this front, not just this time.

I would argue we all need to take it very personally. This is about as f'd up as a college football scandal gets outside of child abuse and murder.

BOBA was not suspended because of his opinions on this subject. That's simply not what happened, no matter how many times you suppose that it is. I've been quite open about the whys of that situation.

Reactions: SilverSpur82
Bottom line if CS starts winning and core values takes root , Briles and Stoops will be gone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT