ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Honoring a real difference-maker in UT football history...)

Sorry... I am not. As a lifelong Celts fan, I have hated every member of every team the Sixers have fielded for 50 years plus. I admit it was hard to hate Dr. J, but I managed. Double that for the Flyers and halve that for the Eagles. That said, I've always kind of liked the Phillies. Go figure.

Great write up, as always. Watching the kid come from wayyyyyy back was kind of cool -- although I have to feel bad for the kid who gave up the lead. And his 10.13 (or whatever) is s-i-c-k!

Dany is Dany -- see the expression on her face when her brother got his golden crown. Will be interesting next week, to say the least.

I recall Tomey's contribution -- fortunately, if I recall correctly, he received a lot of the credit for Texas' toughness turnaround. Mack's best hire in his tenure, IMO. The closer I get to 70, I am realizing the end is probably nearer than I wish to think; pretty sobering. RIP.

I never miss Les Mis when I'm anywhere close to its playing -- will be there when it plays Austin next season. Good choice. Man, I still can't imagine laying down 8 bills for me and my wife to see anything other than a Longhorn football game.

Hook 'em!!!

You hated Bobby Jones?

I understand your feelings. My favorite NBA team growing up in the Sixties and Seventies was whoever was playing the Celtics.

Kawhi Leonard is awesome and was the best player in that series. Make no mistake about, Scott Brooks 2.0.

The outcome of the Raptors vs Sixers playoff series was decided last summer when the Raptors made a move for Kawhi and the Sixers decided they were good with trading for two 2nd tier guys in Butler and Harris.

Do we even know if Orlando is seeking out such jobs?

It was either Jeff Howe or Mike Roach, who was speaking to our group in FW, and I asked about Orlando. The answer was sort of the same as what your comment was, with the additional tidbit of he thought that Orlando might just be the type of guy who just loves sitting in a dark room watching film for 12 hours every day and loves the fact that he's not bothered to do LHN stuff, or play golf with BMD's, or go on speaking tours around the state, etc....
They all want to be head coaches. They all aren't made out to be.

Is Boling then the next Michael Johnson? Too early?

And I realize my post might sound stupid, because I pretty much haven't followed track since Michael Johnson...so maybe there have been 3 Michael Johnsons since but I don't know about them.
I think it's too early to know what he's going to be.

Two basketball minds echoed the exact thought I had while watching the game. I'm not the only one who questioned his effort on that play.
a. Of all the takes Bruce Bowen could have, that's just a dumb position to take, for reasons I've outlined and serve as a checkmate piece of the discussion.

b. By all means, let's ignore all 42 minutes that Simmons played and the effort he gave in chasing Leonard for the entire game, and let's just focus on the last few seconds on a play in which his teammate unintentionally screened him off.

Again., Fascinating hot take.

The outcome of the Raptors vs Sixers playoff series was decided last summer when the Raptors made a move for Kawhi and the Sixers decided they were good with trading for two 2nd tier guys in Butler and Harris.
I mean... I guess.

Newsies?!!

10.The King and I
9. West Side Story
8. South Pacific
7. Rent
6. Jesus Christ Superstar
5. Evita
4. Hamilton
3. Les Miserables
2. Miss Saigon
1. Phantom of the Opera

just missed: Wicked, The Producers, Book of Mormon, My Fair Lady, Carousel

Reactions: J Tull and RJWaxa
Newsies?!!

10.The King and I
9. West Side Story
8. South Pacific
7. Rent
5. Evita
4. Hamilton
3. Les Miserables
2. Miss Saigon
1. Phantom of the Opera

I need to see so many more plays.

I mean... I guess.

I say that not because Kawhi's incredibly lucky shot at the end of game 7 bounced in, but because Kawhi was the best player on the floor throughout the entire series, and the singular reason why the Raptors are moving on. That series goes Sixers in 5-6 games if Kawhi is playing for neither team and Sixers in 4 if Kawhi is playing for Philly.

I say that not because Kawhi's incredibly lucky shot at the end of game 7 bounced in, but because Kawhi was the best player on the floor throughout the entire series, and the singular reason why the Raptors are moving on. That series goes Sixers in 5-6 games if Kawhi is playing for neither team and Sixers in 4 if Kawhi is playing for Philly.
I just don't know what specific deal that Philly didn't make or whether Kawhi was willing to make a long-term commitment.

Also, it was a tie game in the final seconds of game seven and only four bounces on the rim decided the series.

I'd contend those bounces on the rim is when the series was decided.

Reactions: soberstan
My god. Thank you.
giphy.gif

Reactions: DropShot_7
- Great point about Tyler Owens. It's like being the Utah Jazz and running into Michael Jordan in the finals two straight years. Boling is better than everyone.

- We love Aaron Rodgers, but he hasn't won the championships we thought would occur. The young guys are the future right now.

- Will Collin Johnson finished with over 1,200 receiving yards?

- I'm with you. I don't believe LSU is going to have an out-of-body offensive output this season. That formula isn't going to beat Alabama.

- Yeah, I can't remember Kyler Murray ever being doubted. They should have substituted Murray for Kingsbury in that commercial because I doubt him.

- I found a high school photo of Chris Evans. I would have returned to my reunion and laughed at every woman who rejected me back then ;)
c97adc3fa6582837a476899277d70a4c.jpg

Reactions: cordpetee
- Great point about Tyler Owens. It's like being the Utah Jazz and running into Michael Jordan in the finals two straight years. Boling is better than everyone.

- We love Aaron Rodgers, but he hasn't won the championships we thought would occur. The young guys are the future right now.

- Will Collin Johnson finished with over 1,200 receiving yards?

- I'm with you. I don't believe LSU is going to have an out-of-body offensive output this season. That formula isn't going to beat Alabama.

- Yeah, I can't remember Kyler Murray ever being doubted. They should have substituted Murray for Kingsbury in that commercial because I doubt him.

- I found a high school photo of Chris Evans. I would have returned to my reunion and laughed at every woman who rejected me back then ;)
c97adc3fa6582837a476899277d70a4c.jpg
a. I feel bad for the dude from DeSoto that he walked down in the 4X400. Imagine walking into school today knowing that everyone watched that.

b. Rodgers lacks the rings to be the guy in reality that we think he is in theory.

c. Yes. Johnson goes for 1,250.

d. LSU's path to beating Texas is to out-physical them over four quarters.

e. =)roll

f. Chris Evans could have any woman there... single.. married... definitely divorced. :)

I just don't know what specific deal that Philly didn't make or whether Kawhi was willing to make a long-term commitment.

Also, it was a tie game in the final seconds of game seven and only four bounces on the rim decided the series.

I'd contend those bounces on the rim is when the series was decided.
Thats the key as what exactly is the trade offer from Philly? Is it Simmons? Then i think he has to agree to an extension. With Boston it was pretty easy. A couple of 1rst rounders and Brown and it was done. They should be really kicking themselves for that one!! That was a terrible decision for Ainge and he doesnt make many mistakes.

Newsies?!!

10.The King and I
9. West Side Story
8. South Pacific
7. Rent
5. Evita
4. Hamilton
3. Les Miserables
2. Miss Saigon
1. Phantom of the Opera

Nice list. I'd have rated South Pacific much higher for nostalgic reasons as the War was still fresh on everyones mind when Michener won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction with his FIRST book - Tales of the South Pacific. Literally hundreds of novels were written every year, post War, yet he scored the biggest prize with his first published book! Then the Broadway musical won 10 Tony's including the Pulitzer for Drama (from your Top-Ten, Rent and Hamilton have also) and the movie received 10 Oscar nominations and including one winner. "Bloody Mary" good book that's worth a read if any OB posters never have.

No question re Phantom being #1 and glad to see Oklahoma Sucks was excluded :rolleyes: although the music was wonderful.

Is Boling then the next Michael Johnson? Too early?

And I realize my post might sound stupid, because I pretty much haven't followed track since Michael Johnson...so maybe there have been 3 Michael Johnsons since but I don't know about them.
Boling has the fastest 100 mtr time against high school competition but four high schoolers ran faster than Boling. The four didn’t have the impact after high school that you would think. Boling starts aren’t elite so it will be fun to see once he gets more experience in the 100

Ben Simmons couldn't do anything about that shot unless he blocked it. Which is really risking fouling and he would've been crucified if he fouls Kawhi there. It was just an all time great shot.

I'd still say 99 United is the GOAT.

Reactions: cordpetee
Ben Simmons couldn't do anything about that shot unless he blocked it. Which is really risking fouling and he would've been crucified if he fouls Kawhi there. It was just an all time great shot.
Full transparency...

All I cared about before that ball was inbounded was that they not foul Kawhi. If he hits a piece of silliness, then he's just better than you, but don't give the damn series to him on a foul.

The Sixers had zero timeouts to get the ball across mid-court in the event of a foul.

The last thing I wanted was Simmons over-pursuing into the corner where the three was taken. Any contact at all, or anything close to it, almost certainly gets called. See the NCAA Tournament Final.

Reactions: jdriscoll
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT