ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Nothing has changed...)

Have you see this thread? It's a weird shit fest of people who seemed to come out bashing ketch. From people that want to pretend charlie Strong isn't facing a likely chance of being fired to bitching for some odd reason that ketch isn't at the game (when his staff is) to one guy even trashing the content here (yet for some reason is a subscriber)

Yeah, and coming from some posters I don't remember seeing much from in the past. Very interesting....

Oh, stop acting like a win over Iowa State should move the needle.

Everything moves the needle. A loss would have moved it a lot. A loss like last year might have moved it off the dial. A good win, like yesterday, moved it a little.

I know the offense looked meh for a half, but it looked pretty good the second half, and its looked pretty good all year. So the best part of Saturday was the D actually played well, for an entire game. ISU isn't an average team, but they had an above average offense against Baylor and OSU, so thats a good result when looked at objectively.

Baby steps. Lets see what happens week after week. But you have to start somewhere.

Also, maybe I was imagining this, but I thought our second string D played most of the 4th Q as well. Especially the back 7.

Lol. You are probably correct about the masses. I don't agree with everything Charlie has done but I am still pulling for him to right the ship and get things turned around. I didn't agree with everything Mack did, even during the 2005 season, but I always pulled for him and tried to focus on the things he did well. I didn't even agree with everything Royal did. How could he leave Earl at fullback instead of putting him at tailback in I formation? It just seems like all we focus on now is everything Charlie does wrong. All we want now is Herman. Aren't we the same ones that forced Mack Brown to fire Greg Davis? Wasn't Greg Davis the OC for the most prolific offense is in UT history? Isn't that who Herman learned from? But wait. Both of those guys had VY. We don't have a guy like that on campus right now. I am from San Angelo and I am a friend of Sterlin's and speak with his best friend from childhood every day. He thinks the program is on the rise. Royal won the national championship in 63 and went 10–1 and 64. Then he went 6-4, 7-4, 6-4 and everyone wanted to fire him. He won two national championships after that. I guess I'm just trying to say I would like to see a little more patience sometimes from our fans, our boosters, and the media.

Strong has been employed at Texas for a month shy of 3 years. During that time, we've added talent to the roster, but taken several steps back overall as a program. A couple of weeks ago, the referee had to stop Charlie from declining a penalty that would have given the other team a first down.

So I can think of a couple specific places that you can stick your plea for more patience.

In fairness, someone does put out a significantly more detailed and vastly more insightful postgame article than yours every week at just about the same time while attending the game, only to have the title of said article jacked for a truly third-rate piece from a second-rater who's been absolutely woodshedded by Nahlin on the recruiting beat for four years running.

Point being, if you don't make one extra dollar based on the quality of your writing - and you most certainly don't, as the comparative reviews of the Dunlap Ten Thoughts pieces so clearly illustrated - then why not kick back, live a little and go to a game or two? They've even got Plucker's coupons!

Decided to forego the speech-to-text program for this response, eh?

Reactions: ToadHallGangster
Ketch is correct and most agree with him. Please take your Charlie worshiping somewhere else

I just can't bring myself to be happy when UT plays bad and doesn't win. It doesn't matter if CS is the coach. Sad that there are so many on ob that get generally excited when the team is in a close game at halftime...and then get pissy when UT pulls it out in the end. Or if they can't think of something nasty to write...they get off of ob because they "have other things to do." A loss to Kstate would stoke the fires and all the negative nellies would return in full diarrhea of the mouth...or banging on a keyboard in this case.

just out of curiosity......would any of the mods on here even casually follow Texas if it wasn't their job? Just get the impression from this thread and many others that it is not you guys' job to care about the wins and losses.....just report on them. Have you ever gone to work on Monday still pissed off that the Longhorns lost? Because I've been going to work pissed off a bunch the last few years;)

Decided to forego the speech-to-text program for this response, eh?
Yeah, thought about it - and have actually ironed out a couple of kinks on that front - but delivering a certain kind of message to someone who leaves his employees hanging on travel expenses requires a personal touch.

Reactions: 3rdgenhorn
But, by admission of hiring a guy at a high price to attend and be close as possible to every game, you find value in it? Enough so to pay handsomely?

But, you roaming Twitter and the message boards on game day are more important.

Dude!
You're jacking up this thread. Haven't we had enough of this crap with the war room nuclear version from 3 days ago?
It's his damn business and he can run it as he sees fit. :confused:

Reactions: Monster J
Yeah, thought about it - and have actually ironed out a couple of kinks on that front - but delivering a certain kind of message to someone who leaves his employees hanging on travel expenses requires a personal touch.

Hope you guys get things sorted out... preferably in a very public and ugly manner for our entertainment. Perhaps in the form of an airing of grievances podcast with Ketch as the guest star? You could invite Higs along to play the mutual punching bag if things grow too tense.

Have been a big fan of your and the rest of the BC team's work for years. Thanks for the consistently excellent work.

Reactions: tamarahorn
Thought #2 is a very important one. Even if Texas wins out and Strong earns himself another year, it amounts to nothing more than a stay of execution. He would enter the 2017 season with almost zero wiggle room. An early loss in non conference and/or a loss in Dallas and we're right back to the miserable place we are right now.

Bringing him back also puts on the table what UT seems to view (for whatever reason) as a worst case scenario -- firing a head coach midseason. How would firing the OC midseason in 2015, the DC in midseason in 2016, and then firing the HC midseason in 2017 look for Texas?

When you factor in that he's due an extension, recruiting is circling the drain, and that he would need to also be recruiting a DC and a DB coach (at minimum) in the offseason (you think it was embarrassing, difficult, and expensive to get Gilbert here after 2015?) any sane person realizes it's just over for Strong. This program cannot move forward in a healthy manner with him at the helm whether he wins 8 or not. It. Is. Over.

At this point, to keep his job, I believe Charlie has to show he can defend vs the explosive offenses in the Big 12. Was our defense in the Iowa St. game just an anomaly due to a weakened OL or was it a show of things to come? The Cyclones gave Baylor and Okie St. all they could handle. Yet, UT shut them down. Strong is here for his defensive prowess. If he proves UT can perform in this heat, that shows measureable improvement.

Good read Ketch. To be honest I don't think there is anything remotely possible that can save Charlie's job. After watching the game Saturday the football these guys are playing just doesn't reflect a staff that is completely organized. I hate to say it because I'm a fan of Charlie Strong but the truth is the truth and sometimes the truth isn't pretty.

Oh, stop acting like a win over Iowa State should move the needle.
It does not excite me but the defensive play did move the needle some.
The isu offense had played very well against Baylor and OK St.

We will see. They can't hide from the rest of the schedule that is for sure

I think it's funny that you believe you know how to do my job better than me after 16 years

My guess is you don't have the first idea what I really do on game days, why it is important and what going to the game impacts the rest of my weekend.
Someone in another thread referred to you as a "condescending prick." Hard to argue with that, in the face of this series of replies.

The man asked a legit question. Most knowledgeable sports fans would agree that there is no television experience that can rival being in the stadium. Now if your approach to your job makes that impractical, fine. Just say that. But get down off the cross in case we need the wood for something more useful.

You have managed to parlay a modicum of sports knowledge and writing ability into a
site that pays your bills. Good for you. Recognize, however, that without the subscribers,
and our little payments, you got nada.
I am not in the least interested in how tough your job is. You own the site, you chose the
career path. If you hate it, change. We got guys on here whose job involves the real possibility of being shot at. THOSE are tough jobs. Yours? Meh. "Be better"

Accepting it is one thing. Pretending it signified anything even remotely significant is another.

When you can't argue with anything specifically written, by all means, focus on the front page picture.

I find it ironic that you believe my original post represents some type of coronation of this team. It's not like I gave permission to drink the koolaid, but I digress.

Multiple reasons.

1. My first responsibility is the site and me being on the board at all times on game day, especially after losses is a key responsibility.

2. My post-game column is almost always the very first piece of post-game content anywhere. I think that is important.

3. I can't afford to not be on top of things for more than an hour after the final seconds tick off the clock.

4. Having inconsistent Internet access on my phone inside the stadium is an issue as well.

5. Your job is literally nothing like mine.
Ketch, your game-day efforts are appreciated by the majority of us out here -- thank you.

My goodness, Alabama beat Tennessee so badly in Knoxville it reminded me one of those games I played in when I was at McCallum and we played Reagan in 1992. After taking a 42-0 lead at the half, Reagan started rotating players all over the place and their backups were better than the starters in a lot of cases.
I didn't realize you were from SA. Reading this paragraph made me chuckle. When I I played for Edison in the early '70's our arch nemesis were Lee and Churchill. They beat us like a broken drum every year. Still hurts.

I didn't realize you were from SA. Reading this paragraph made me chuckle. When I I played for Edison in the early '70's our arch nemesis were Lee and Churchill. They beat us like a broken drum every year. Still hurts.

Austin Reagan and Austin McCallum.

SA didn't even have a Reagan in 1992.

Buechele hasn't shown anything he didn't show in the spring. Some of us weren't afraid to gobble every available share of SB stock.
Bully for y'all. Don't get a rotator cuff injury from patting yourselves on the back.

Ketch, why don't you attend the games? It's your job. Just weird that you choose to sit at home or pluckers.

I am in finance and when it's quarter end, I would be fired for staying at home.
WTF? Really? Some of you mooks would bitch if you were hung with an old rope.

Reactions: WTexasHorn
ADVERTISEMENT