Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Permission to Dream Colossally)

Tell us more!

You know most of the stories. His District was very conservative and yet all those Bible Thumper's voted for him in spite of the Angels and his party reputation. He won cause EVERYBODY knew him and he was so charismatic and just plain fun. He made every parade and was relentless when it came to pressing the flesh. Basically Bill Clinton but let’s just say he was even less discreet.

Jerrin played well for us, but he could not help the fact that he was not fast enough to be a great safety. He knew how to play, made a lot of plays when he could get to them. But he could not cover fast WRs one on one. See Ou's last TD in last years game.

a. Why? Because he's very aggressive.

b. No one is saying Arch is better. He might be more talented, though...
I’m not sure you and I are going to agree on this, but…

I’d rather have a QB throw a pass that is complete (95%) of the time 12-15 yards down the field, rather than a 50/50 ball into double coverage for a potential 45yard gain.

Arch is going to be amazing; but he has to learn to play with what the defense gives him… that is the mark of a truly elite QB:
1) frustrate them to death with the dink & dunk passes
2) and then throw over the top once they’re lulled to sleep

The term used was talent.

Let’s take DB
That year had Chaykie Brown (5th round ), Curtis Brown (3rd round) Aaron Williams (2nd round) and Earl Thomas (1st round)

You think that this team at any classification has better talent than those guys when you put it together?

Let me know when you’re ready for me to do DE with Sam Acho and Sergio Kindle and Henry Melton

Any classification? That just nullified your argument.

Sure fire draft DB picks at some point: MM, Guilbeau, Barron, Mukuba, Williams.

And that doesn’t include other rotational and/or newbies whose trajectory is high: Black, McDonald, Filsaime, Mack and Wilson. Hell, if Taaffe keeps playing solid football, I think he’ll even be a late round pick after next season.

Let’s do DE since apparently you think that’s a trump card to your argument: Simmons, Burke, and Vasek. Burke and Vasek have a ways to go, but very doable. And barring injury, Simmons will be better than any of the 3 you mentioned from the 2008 team.

Why didn’t you bring up LBs? Hummm. On this team Hill is slam dunk better than any on the 2008 team. Gbenda has a chance to be a late round pick. Smith and Lefau are young, but have already shown that their ceiling is much higher than most of the LBs on the 2008 team.

How am I doin’? Volley…

That year had Chaykie Brown (5th round ), Curtis Brown (3rd round) Aaron Williams (2nd round) and Earl Thomas (1st round)

And as far as “talent” goes, both Browns had severe holes to their game. They were very athletic, but got caught out of position many times. We’ve yet to see that with any player this year.

Williams and Thomas were the clear studs.

You've Got Mail had a great cast...Dave Chappelle was a pleasant surprise as an actor.

Reactions: ndennis25
sure. But he also talked about how Arch should have checked it down a few more times. There’s a happy medium he’s looking for. When Arch hits that we will be rolling with him as long as the OL is solid

If he played again this week, I think he'd be much better. He missed some pretty easy throws. The one to Blue was a 69yard touchdown walk in and he just aimed it.

You know most of the stories. His District was very conservative and yet all those Bible Thumper's voted for him in spite of the Angels and his party reputation. He won cause EVERYBODY knew him and he was so charismatic and just plain fun. He made every parade and was relentless when it came to pressing the flesh. Basically Bill Clinton but let’s just say he was even less discreet.
I need to watch this tonight.

Reactions: PreamoHorn
You've Got Mail had a great cast...Dave Chappelle was a pleasant surprise as an actor.
It might be one of my top 10 favorite movies of all-time. One of my first real life romances occurred by meeting a girl from Lawrence at the infancy stages of the Internet.

Lots of nostalgia.

Reactions: rlstep
Love the usage of the word colossally, lol - awesome

Did you see this? Making any sense of it?

Historical Facts: For the first time since the 1915 Season, yes 1915. Texas has won at least three of its first four games by at least 7 touchdowns (48+ points). In 1915, the Longhorns beat TCU 72-0, Daniel Baker 92-0, and Rice 59-0 on their way to a 6-3 record that season that once again, ended in a loss to Notre Dame.

Love your Top 10 Rankings!

What do you think a Miami vs. Tennessee game looks like head to head, let's say... in Atlanta for a neutral site.... 34-30 Tennessee?

• Love
I can set my watch to the amount of times he has a bad game, which is pretty much every week ;)
Maalik Murphy on the other hand is shaping up to be the most successful Longhorn portal departure ever. I hope he keeps it up; he's a good guy and a recruiting rebuttal for negative recruiters who tell young qb's the quarterback room here is a career killer for all but QB1 or QB2.

Love the usage of the word colossally, lol - awesome

Did you see this? Making any sense of it?

Historical Facts: For the first time since the 1915 Season, yes 1915. Texas has won at least three of its first four games by at least 7 touchdowns (48+ points). In 1915, the Longhorns beat TCU 72-0, Daniel Baker 92-0, and Rice 59-0 on their way to a 6-3 record that season that once again, ended in a loss to Notre Dame.

Love your Top 10 Rankings!

What do you think a Miami vs. Tennessee game looks like head to head, let's say... in Atlanta for a neutral site.... 34-30 Tennessee?

a. It's a play on words from a column I write in 2016 that allowed fans to dream "big". I can't believe more haven't commented on it!

b. Did I see that stat? Maybe half the team went to fight in the Austrian/Hungary conflict with Serbia that kick-started WWI in the middle of the season?

c. Yes. Nailed it.

Any classification? That just nullified your argument.

Sure fire draft DB picks at some point: MM, Guilbeau, Barron, Mukuba, Williams.

And that doesn’t include other rotational and/or newbies whose trajectory is high: Black, McDonald, Filsaime, Mack and Wilson. Hell, if Taaffe keeps playing solid football, I think he’ll even be a late round pick after next season.

Let’s do DE since apparently you think that’s a trump card to your argument: Simmons, Burke, and Vasek. Burke and Vasek have a ways to go, but very doable. And barring injury, Simmons will be better than any of the 3 you mentioned from the 2008 team.

Why didn’t you bring up LBs? Hummm. On this team Hill is slam dunk better than any on the 2008 team. Gbenda has a chance to be a late round pick. Smith and Lefau are young, but have already shown that their ceiling is much higher than most of the LBs on the 2008 team.

How am I doin’? Volley…
I never said LB was a 2008 strength. You can check this list I posted on there.

Ok let’s start with DB. Jury is still out on the guys you mentioned (if you’ll scroll above I replied to Ketch and said that they have a chance to be as good) but a few things

1. I don’t see a player like Earl Thomas on this team in the defensive backfield. He’s a once a decade (at least) type of player and I’m sure we can agree on that. So in my mind that’s worth a lot.
2. The rest of the guys I mentioned were all drafted (some highly) and played in the NFL. Several were on the Thorpe award watch list and were all conference first or second team selections. One an all American obviously. Thats tough to beat. I fully acknowledge that my argument has the benefit of look back where as yours is more on potential but that’s a tough act to match up with. MM is a stud and i expect him to be all conference by next year (if not this year if he continues to play lights out). Other than that we are left with J Barron (extremely solid player) and a bunch of projection. If I had to guess I’d say MM and D Williams are day 1 or two picks of things continue to progress (I’m hoping) but to say “I don’t know what you’re watching” and acting like this isn’t even close is simply not true.

Alright let’s do DE now (and no I don’t think this is some Trump card..not sure where you got that)

You listed Simmons, Burke, Vasek.
I’ll see your Simmons and raise you a Sergio. Who will be better? No idea, but I’ll just let those two cancel each other out. Burke and Vasek (and let’s at least add Sorrell) compared to Melton and Acho. Melton and acho were both drafted and Melton went on to make the pro bowl. Acho was a second team Walter camp all American and 3rd team AP all American. Can Burke and Vasek do that …I sure as hell hope so but I’m just not sure. Again, you have to at least acknowledge this is a close argument and not some “wtf are you watching bro” type situation.

By the way, if I did have a Trump card it would be this. Brian Orakpo was also a DE on the 2008 team. He was pretty good right? He won the Nigurski, Lombardi and other trophies. Was a 1st team all American.

Over to you

Appreciate the back and forth

Last edited:
b. Did I see that stat? Maybe half the team went to fight in the Austrian/Hungary conflict with Serbia that kick-started WWI in the middle of the season?
Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Haha
Reactions: Ketchum
Yeah the Maxwell winner and two time Heisman finalist.

Unless Quinn wins the heisman or national championship he won’t pass Colt on the pantheon. Arch it remains to be seen.
Heisman is a maybe for me.
VY didn’t win it. Don’t really care. I care about the Natty…. I guess I’d give Quinn the nod if he gets to Natty game and wins Heisman.

Reactions: A-10HORN
There's a difference between talent and overall quality of player.

Colt is a better player at this point, but he was never more talented a day in his life.
Ketch - I don’t disagree with this statement one bit generically speaking.
Let’s be clear though, if I’m forced to choose, generally speaking, between the more talented player or the overall better player, I’ll choose the latter every single time.
If talent never materializes or reaches its potential, does it really matter?

Let’s face it, there are some players that despite their “talent” (or lack of) are gamers. Colt was. Major was. Even James Brown showed some. I think one needs to really define talent and overall player…and what that timeline is.

If we’re being honest, VY proved to not be that talented of a QB at the highest level. But at the collegiate (and high school) level, he was clearly both ultra talented overall BEST player.

I can’t speak for all, but while I enjoy watching our Horns play on Sundays (for those that are so fortunate that is), I’ll take the extreme collegiate success at the expense of Sunday success, every day of the week, including Sunday and especially Saturday.

Is that really the math of our options? ;)
Yes. But that would assume everyone is being honest in our assessment:

*** forgive me if I exclude chads like Dilfer or Flacco… combining “Super Bowl” + “winning” + “Quarterback” re: these two gives me heartburn***

1) a look back at the winningest QBs of all time ***working backwards in time***

Mount Rushmore (status)

Mahomes (currently)
Brady GOAT
Montana
Elway

2nd tier
Bradshaw
Aikman
Etc.

Heisman is a maybe for me.
VY didn’t win it. Don’t really care. I care about the Natty…. I guess I’d give Quinn the nod if he gets to Natty game and wins Heisman.
Not even then.

Ketch - I don’t disagree with this statement one bit generically speaking.
Let’s be clear though, if I’m forced to choose, generally speaking, between the more talented player or the overall better player, I’ll choose the latter every single time.
If talent never materializes or reaches its potential, does it really matter?

Let’s face it, there are some players that despite their “talent” (or lack of) are gamers. Colt was. Major was. Even James Brown showed some. I think one needs to really define talent and overall player…and what that timeline is.

If we’re being honest, VY proved to not be that talented of a QB at the highest level. But at the collegiate (and high school) level, he was clearly both ultra talented overall BEST player.

I can’t speak for all, but while I enjoy watching our Horns play on Sundays (for those that are so fortunate that is), I’ll take the extreme collegiate success at the expense of Sunday success, every day of the week, including Sunday and especially Saturday.
I understand that, but the conversation we're having started with the discussion of talent.

Yes. But that would assume everyone is being honest in our assessment:

*** forgive me if I exclude chads like Dilfer or Flacco… combining “Super Bowl” + “winning” + “Quarterback” re: these two gives me heartburn***

1) a look back at the winningest QBs of all time ***working backwards in time***

Mount Rushmore (status)

Mahomes (currently)
Brady GOAT
Montana
Elway

2nd tier
Bradshaw
Aikman
Etc.
what if that 95% is really closer to 65-70%?

I understand that, but the conversation we're having started with the discussion of talent.
If these type of rankings were based on talent then Drew Henson should’ve been better than Tom Brady (yes this is a bit tongue in cheek to say)

If these type of rankings were based on talent then Drew Henson should’ve been better than Tom Brady (yes this is a bit tongue in cheek to say)
again, we're talking about talent.

2008 vs. 2024.

at quarterback, that meant second day guy vs, two 1st day guys.

Reactions: TheHorn
That Tom Hanks list is perfect!!!!! I can't find a single fault with it.

• Love
Reactions: Ketchum
again, we're talking about talent.

2008 vs. 2024.

at quarterback, that meant second day guy vs, two 1st day guys.
I get it.

My criteria for ranking Texas QB’s are both team and player accomplishments though. Sam wasn’t as talented as Quinn, but I still had him ranked ahead as of late last year.

Ketch as usual great 10 thoughts. Hard to believe so many 5 star quarterbacks have been busts as you said if they are one of the best less chance they will flame out.
Your Tom Hanks list was great hard to believe how many great movies he has made. My daughter in law would say you got mail is number 1 & I never argue with her.

I get it.

My criteria for ranking Texas QB’s are both team and player accomplishments though. Sam wasn’t as talented as Quinn, but I still had him ranked ahead as of late last year.
I understand. Legacies are a different discussion IMO.

In a weird way, this is the Major/Chris discussion all over again. 😂

Reactions: Juarez Your Problem