ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What I really think after 12 games...)

Ketch,

I call Bullshit on two things.

Tom being not much better than Charlie in year one, because despite very similar situations: bad offenses and good-very good defenses, you can legitimately say that Tom’s team was a defensive stop away from beating USC, a touchdown away from beating Ok State in OT, and a 3rd and 2 conversion away from being 9-3.

They were close to being both a 3-4 win team and a 9-10 win team. Only TCU really sticks out as a game they didn’t have a chance to win, and even then, the game was 17-7 in the fourth quarter and if Texas had a good field kicker, the score might’ve been 17-13 because Texas did drive to TCU’s 30 yard line several times but had to go for it on 4th down. I doubt they win that game regardless. Playing hard was not the sole achievement. Tom had them in position to win nearly every single game despite an offense with injuries, youth, revolving quarterbacks AND a bad field goal kicker.

Down 20-0 against OU, does Texas come back to take the lead in the 4th quarter with Charlie or even Mack?

Despite the same 6-6 record in their first year, Tom’s team was within 10 points or less in every single ballgame in the 4th quarter. They were 1-2 in OT games. It was disappointing ending for sure, but that brings me to my other point of contention...

The players lost that Tech game.

Despite questionable playcalling at times and I’ll concede you that the 3rd and 2 was not a smart call, Texas players choked that game away.

There were a dozen plays that Texas could’ve made that would’ve put the game out of reach.

2-3 dropped interceptions, 2-3 missed passes that would’ve gone for touchdowns, dropped passes, a botched trick play that Burt inexplicably threw too late, Texas’ OL failing to block 2 times in a row vs Tech on the goal line, a fumble by Carter in Tech territory, a fumble by Mapps, an inexplicable taking a knee by Porter, the defense allowing a touchdown before the interception drive.

The players didn’t handle this game with maturity. They didn’t display any will or leadership that collectively said, “Hey! We’re not losing this motherf’n game.”

Coaches aren’t absolved of blame either, but it’s high time these players hold themselves accountable to each other. They tensed up and mentally folded in that fourth quarter to a bad Tech team. The coaches actually did call some good stuff on occasion, the players failed to execute - a common theme for 8 years and counting.

The games they almost won vs USC, OU, Oklahoma State demonstrate how close they were. The Maryland and Tech losses still show they have a long way to go.

The players need more mental toughness. The offense also needs a lot more talent and playmakers.
Agree with most of th this but have to believe you sipping some of that kool-aid in your hand as you were typing this.

Yes, I was pulling for Herman long before we hired him. However, I've been outspoken critic of his choice to hire the incompetent Beck since the rumors he was leaning on naming him. We saw the crap he rolled out this year and Herman didn't do a damn thing to cut him off. This has changed my impression of him, especially after some of his comments. Like others, I don't like how he is quick to defend his coaching staff, but throw kids under the bus for not getting it done.

For instance, why throw Sam under the bus and defend Beck when instead of the stupid Beck calling a roll out pass on 3rd and 2, why not run Sam on a power play.like we did Swoopes last year. I guarantee you Sam gets those 2 yards. And have a check to a release and a quick pass if Sam sees them cheating up?

Like Ketch, I've been disappointed in what I've seen out of him. I expected more creativity and cleverness.

Hook'em
The whole year is the same...why ask why? Either watch and support the team or turn it off and walk away. I have turned it off and walked and, with the exception of this site, won't look for any updates anymore.

Point 1 - it’s sad to be out-coached by Kingsbury but it happened.
Point 2 - Sam’s performance was not “less than outstanding.” It was Bad. I think he has potential but you have call it for what it is. I have to believe SB will transfer. Sad to see it but how can he think he has a chance when he couldn’t get in game after watching Sam’s bad performance.
Shane is outa' here. He was never Tom's boy as Sam was. As Anwar stated earlier this year, "...Tom sees himself in Sam..." or something to that effect.

Reactions: sparker39
Agree with most of th this but have to believe you sipping some of that kool-aid in your hand as you were typing this.
I’m certainly not on the “fvck Tom Herman” train that many are boarding right now.

But I don’t pretend that I have the answers either.

It was a disappointing season. No sugarcoating that fact, but Tom didn’t create this mess, but it’s his burden now. This team, this program still has a long ways to go both mentally and physically/talent-wise.

I remember the 2007 season well, and this board was comical in its desire to replace Colt with John Chiles.

When we were down late to Nebraska, Chiles has to come in for a series, we ran a zone read that popped J Charles, and that was all the proof folks needed.

Then the following week when we got down big to OSU, I vividly remember the in game melt down threads wanting to dump Colt.

I can't help but wonder would we be firing our coach if he had gone 52-26 the last 6 seasons and gone to a bowl game every season? Yet that's what Aggie just did and it looks like they are bringing in Jimbo Fisher. Whatever else, you have to admire Aggie pushing all their chips into the middle of the table while we continue to try to fill inside straights.

99% of this board wanted Herman and wanted him badly. His hiring was resoundingly praised. Now after single season he’s no good and the past 6-8 years including his hiring with aggy somehow worthy of being praised for firing Kevin Sumlin?

It wasn’t the season we wanted but it’s year one and he’s not going anywhere anytime soon. You make it sound like Texas was stupid for hiring Herman which is revisionist history at its finest. No one was claiming that several months ago. Don’t recall anyone here claiming that when he was hired. He took over a dumpster fire of s program. Yeah he has a lot more work to do but this stuff is getting ridiculous. This place just after the WVU game had the program in a completely different light and next year too

Last edited:
Reactions: TurfHorn and OSWALT
Sad to see it but how can he think he has a chance when he couldn’t get in game after watching Sam’s bad performance.
Shane's previously bad performances are why he couldn't get in the game.

And all QBs make mistakes, even Tom Brady. Some folks have this queer notion that since Sam is practically a sophomore, he shouldn"t be making any mistakes at all and that is just flat out WRONG!

He does need to cut down on the costly critical mistakes that he keeps repeating. In high school, his receiver on the 3rd and 2 play would have been open and caught the ball. In college, his receiver was covered and he forced a throw when he didn't have to. He needs to study a lot of film during the offseason.

I like Sam a lot, but if he gets beat out by Rising and or Thompson, so be it. The QB position is about survival of the fittest

Last edited:
It will take a long time to get over this weekend and this season. It was a roller coaster ride that smashed into a concrete wall. So tired of losing. "Almost" doesn't work for me anymore.

Reactions: LILBVO
Herman is right where Charlie was after year one. I've got a feeling he will be where Charlie is after year three.
Next year is 5-7 maybe 6-6 again. I really thought he was going to change the culture if any thing he made it worse.

Where is the “lost the lockeroom” shit coming from?

Everyone is just projecting all of the last 8 years at Herman’s and feet and flippantly saying, “Fix this football program, you son of a bitch!”

I understand disappointment and frustration but the vitriol and made up charges are just bizarre and unwarranted.

Players with additional eligibility like McMillon, Cuney, and Rodriguez don't leave for no reason.

Players talk. The evidence is there. Herman's act is already wearing thin. You're entitled to your opinion just like I am but my opinion is that Herman has done a poor job his first season in Austin and the early post season returns are not good.
Rodriguez is leaving too?

There had been a six-year gap in-between drinks, but I had some in August. I'm so disgusted with myself.
You and me both. I wanted and expected to see a team that got better in some ways---any ol' ways---
week over week. I never saw it on the offensive side. You said it best, I too did not find myself thinking I
was watching an elite coach doing elite things.
Different situation, to be sure, but if you want to see real week over week progress, go watch Stanford this season.
Good write-up, candid and unvarnished.

I agree with you there. I have no clue what the answers are either.

I’m not gung ho on Beck and criticizing the 3rd and 2 playcall is fair imo.

But I’ve no clue what the answer is. I’m not sure keeping Beck is the right answer or assigning someone else to call plays is.

Perhaps staying the course is actually best?

I don’t know what the correct answer is.

That’s why Tom Herman gets paid the big bucks.

The best point here is the last one. Whatever happens next is on Tom. I just want to win at this point if Beck can do that then I'm on board

Herman is right where Charlie was after year one. I've got a feeling he will be where Charlie is after year three.
Next year is 5-7 maybe 6-6 again. I really thought he was going to change the culture if any thing he made it worse.
It’s premature to be casting off Tom as never amounting to anything at Texas. The year didn’t go how we wanted but his chapter at Texas is far from over.

Hopefully they finish the year with 7 wins

That damn 3rd and 2 call. wtf Herman. How stupid can you be man?
3rd and 2 rocked longhorn nation. It pretty much defined Tom Herman’s first year. If he had half a brain we are 7-5 with momentum going inTo bowl. Win bowl game and we are on our way with average sideline coach and all.

Reactions: CutaneousHorn
and he didn't do as good of a job as Patterson while he was here.

Patterson is obviously a great coach, but he is also hard to judge historically because he has only been in a big time league since TCU joined the Big 12 in 2012.

Since then he is 50-25 with one tie for 1st which is really good, but not all time great. Mike Gundy is 53-23 over the same period. 8 of Patterson’s 10 win seasons came in the Mountain West, C-USA, and the WAC. They count about as much as Herman’s 13-1 season. He has also never really won anything except the 2010 Rose Bowl. Great coaches win big games. TCU never really plays those big games.

Patterson is odd in that he decided to stay in a comfortable job instead of trying to keep climbing. He been amazing, but you have to wonder if TCU will ever be truly relevant like OU or long ago Texas. They have been a couple of years and stumbled each time. Patterson has chosen not to test himself at a big time program with the pressures that come with that challenge. That’s got to count against him in the discussion. Patterson may go down as the best coach to never win anything which probably keeps him from really being considered a historically great coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: CutaneousHorn

Worst off-season in OB history?

(Sell) The 2004 off-season stands above all others. As an example, I went to a speaking engagement in Nashville that year about two months before the season started and an older Longhorn walked up to me and asked, "Is Greg Davis going to be the offensive coordinator this year?” When I told him that he would be the offensive coordinator, the older fan walked out, but not before saying in front of everyone, "Well, nothing else f****** matters." Also, I was in the parent's section for the 2003 Holiday Bowl and you would have thought a full-on mutiny was about to take place.

]

And it's funny, some of our fans are still so eaten up and butt hurt about Davis, they completely ignore his success both before 2003 and after.

Beck OTOH, does not have that resume/track record.

So my question.

Does CTH have the ability and willingness to truly self evaluate and adjust/re-build whatever he wants to call this "offense" (a term I use very loosely) into something that better fits his talents?

M Farrell has a good take on the coaching changes on the main board but I don't know how to move it to OB. He says Aggies are going to be less than happy with their final choice.

+1

Frankly, the more I think it over the more I get upset. This is like hiring Mario Andretti to test out your Corvette and watching him burn the clutch up and roll off with the parking brake on. I'm completely ****ing stunned and I really don't know if this is the guy anymore. He sucks at everything he was supposed to be good at.
Yeah but... Those lockers!

Reactions: LILBVO
Question @Ketchum :

In your opinion, does A&M become the new flagship program in Texas (not that we are necessarily at this point)? If so, does Texas claim king of the hill again in the next 10 years?

I remember the mid 80's when the coin flipped to the maroon side, and it feels eerily similar. We had David "CS" McWilliams bringing seasons of mediocrity (except for the WIT year) followed by John "TH" Mackovic the offensive "genius" giving us more mediocrity with a little false hope.

The admin over in Aggie land sure seems to see the revenue potential in football, thereby making it a priority, more so than Fenves & co. at this point (almost a billion in facility upgrades, 40M+ in new coaching search, an actual AD in place). I hear Patterson is the Ag's #2 prospect if Fisher doesn't work out. Either of those coaches would be able to take A&M to heights not seen since 1939. I'm not ready for the apocalypse....errr an aggie NC....in my lifetime.

Reactions: RBJudge
The press conference after the game just stunk up the joint and that’s where I have a problem with Tom.
His answers to the tough questions were pathetic at best and reflected on the fact that he and his staff just won’t stand up and admit their mistakes!
“How do you explain being on the goal line two times and coming away with no points?”
Response
“They stopped us.”
...and the question about Armanti was equally bad. “...Armanti didn’t see the field again until late in the 3rd because of the WR rotation...”
How many people on this board have spoken to playing people consistently especially after they are showing production during the games?
Errrrbody!

Reactions: DrHorn98
It was a horrible decision. He has to know better.

The HC getting paid $5 million most CERTAINLY has to know better in that situation than a true frosh QB. yes, Sam made a poor decision. But it's light years a less egregious mistake than a million dollar staff even THINKING of putting him in that situation.

The year 1 comparison to cs just defies logic.

You’re just too smart of a guy for me to think otherwise so that leaves ‘agenda’ to me.

Maybe a piece of what you are writing is emotional and I get that but what Herman has done this year is definitely better than what CS did in year 1.

I guess the final deciding factor for you will be the bowl game but I have seen enough. Even after that dog ‘s’ tek loss, I feel different than any time under Charlie.

I still have hope...
what exactly is the agenda?

Man, I just want this program to be good again for my own sanity.

I’m not really expecting change. I’m not even sure one is totally warranted insofar as no meaningful change will occur until they enhance the line play and get the quarterback to get the ball out faster and more accurately.

If the line makes major progress next year and Sam improves his decision making while getting the ball out faster, then they’ll be vastly improved regardless of who’s calling plays.
It's how the line makes major progress that is the question. Lots of the same players returning.

Yep. We lost the Holiday Bowl against WSU because Mack panicked and put Mock in the game, causing Greg Davis to panic and throw the ball all over the place, which played right into Wazzou's hands as their strength that year was sacking the QB. They just teed off at that point. Had he we kept VY in the game and stayed patient with the run game, I think we win.
Players were pretty unhappy with each other as well.It was a disaster.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT