ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (What the UT QB situation really looks like...)

The best we can hope for is they both stay healthy and they elevate each other's play. Having Herman as an offensive leader will be priceless. We have muddled through mediocre OCs the past several years...it will be nice to have consistency.
The competition + Herman's influence = improvement?

I'll buy that.

I tried. I really did. I tried and tried and tried to figure out how someone would take Houston over Austin, but I just can't. You are gonna have to help me out here. Or is that sarcasm?
This basketball season has done a number on him.

18 straight for the Lady Longhorns but a big test to come on Monday night in Tallahassee. Game is at 6 pm on ESPN 2.

You realize "better" is a subjective term? Personally I would take H-town over Austin.

Ha!
Earlier you said Austin is less and less diverse and open minded, and now you take Houston over Austin. Either you don't get out much, you're an Old, or you just like to troll this forum. Good times.

True. No "cupcakes" in sight from here on out. Every game is important and must be played one game at a time.
At this point, winning the Big 12, landing a top 2-3 seed and avoiding the U.Conn bracket is paramount.

A win over FSU gets Texas closer to a 2.

Sign 5 OL every class. There are always five on the field. Some leave, get injured, don't pan out, flunk out, disappear into the dog house, etc. Without a competent or above average OL it quickly becomes moot how good the QB lying on his back is, the RB getting eaten up by the DL is, the WR who doesn't have time to get open is.

Believing we can get by with 3 or less OL in any class is part of what got us in the football twilight zone. If you want to argue 4 is enough when we've got a consistently dominant OL I'll listen. That was 2005.

At this point, winning the Big 12, landing a top 2-3 seed and avoiding the U.Conn bracket is paramount.

A win over FSU gets Texas closer to a 2.
Yes, avoiding the hated UCONN bracket where only Gino and company come out on top. I'd love to see the horns at least make the final four since it is in Dallas and we bought tickets last year.

Sign 5 OL every class. There are always five on the field. Some leave, get injured, don't pan out, flunk out, disappear into the dog house, etc. Without a competent or above average OL it quickly becomes moot how good the QB lying on his back is, the RB getting eaten up by the DL is, the WR who doesn't have time to get open is.

Believing we can get by with 3 or less OL in any class is part of what got us in the football twilight zone. If you want to argue 4 is enough when we've got a consistently dominant OL I'll listen. That was 2005.
Horns have 18 on the roster right now and only two depart to graduation. In general, I agree with your sentiment, but a little attrition is probably going to be needed to allow for balance.

Reactions: teyon shoes
It will be too bad if Sam cant redshirt. Two years separation would be nice, and he had a lot of injuries last year. That said, the depth isn't great, unless Heard returns to that room.

Beuchele is going to start and play the majority of plays unless he gets hurt. I have seen nothing substantive anywhere that leads me to believe otherwise. Beuchele starting maximizes wins, and we don't need to kill a whole season with this talent everywhere else with another QB on training wheels. We did that out of necessity last year.

A QB controversy is silly noise. Hermans talk is spring training motivation, which he has been doing since the day of his hire. Its meaningless talk, really. He knows damn well he has to maximize wins immediately.

Beuchele is going to start and play the majority of plays unless he gets hurt. I have seen nothing substantive anywhere that leads me to believe otherwise.
I'm not sure we've seen anything substantive as it relates to Buechele at this point.

Given that SB had zero competition last year and was thrown into a position he wasn't really ready for I feel he did a great job. A year of playing and another off season to build his body into a Div1player will not hurt him. Ellinger may be the man but he may also be another David Ashe who just can't stay on the field. I hope not. We shall see as unless we see a good senior transfer QB come in they are it!

I'd be all for redshirting Sam on three conditions..

a. Buechele performs at a much more consistently good level.
b. An added piece of depth allowed for someone to provide a quality second option.
c. Sam was clearly in need of one.

I just can't see all (and possibly not any) of these happening. Sam is walking into a similar situation Shane did, depthwise. He can't take a shirt.

Shane played well considering he was just being a freshman. He has great accuracy and with Herman in his ear who knows what's possible. It will be interesting to see if he takes the next step and becomes more consistent- which usually comes with more experience.

Redshirting Sam is best case scenario.

@Ketchum Where is the analysis that factors in Shane's injury(ribs)? How does this not have an affect on his performance?
And the neck injury in Kansas. His worst games occurred around those injuries. To be fair to Shane, you also have to factor in the predictable play calling by the first time play caller who only seemed to have a couple of pass plays in the arsenal. There are a lot of good coaches in the Big 12 and they're paid to exploit those types of weaknesses.

Reactions: EastTexasLonghorn
Not sure why we're in such a hurry to jump to long term conclusions on Shane. There are some big time QB's who started out with worse numbers.

Teddy Bridgewater rating as a freshman: 132.4
Teddy Bridgewater rating as a junior: 171.1

Baker Mayfield rating as a freshman: 127.7
Baker Mayfield rating as a RS junior: 196.4

Jared Goff rating as a freshman: 123.4
Jared Goff rating as a junior: 161.2

Dak Prescott rating as a sophomore (1st as a starter): 126.6
Dak Prescott rating as a senior: 151.0

VY rating as a RS freshman: 130.6
VY rating as a RS junior: 163.9

What he did was win 5 games against some mediocre competition. Freshman win heismans now this isn't 1953, have higher expectations

Dude, the Heisman has been around since 1912. Since that time, only 2 Freshmen have won, Manziel and Winston, and both of those guys were Redshirt Freshmen. No True Freshman has ever one.

It's one thing to have lofty expectations. It's another thing entirely to have realistic ones.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we've seen anything substantive as it relates to Buechele at this point.

Sure you have. You've see 100% more substance than Sam at the collegiate level and according to your own data, the QB play is on a trajectory not enjoyed by UT in nearly a decade. Plus, the kid was a True Freshman.

My goodness, man. Do you really not think an extra year in the weight room and a playbook with more than 5 plays won't help the kid? Quit stepping on the kids throat and give the bias a rest.

And stop shaking your head right now. You ARE going out of your way to be pro-Ehlinger.

Not sure why we're in such a hurry to jump to long term conclusions on Shane. There are some big time QB's who started out with worse numbers.

Teddy Bridgewater rating as a freshman: 132.4
Teddy Bridgewater rating as a junior: 171.1

Baker Mayfield rating as a freshman: 127.7
Baker Mayfield rating as a RS junior: 196.4

Jared Goff rating as a freshman: 123.4
Jared Goff rating as a junior: 161.2

Dak Prescott rating as a sophomore (1st as a starter): 126.6
Dak Prescott rating as a senior: 151.0

VY rating as a RS freshman: 130.6
VY rating as a RS junior: 163.9

Stop trying to be reasonable! :)

Reactions: CutaneousHorn