ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

FYI, I corrected the sentence that a few objected to, from three straight to second straight.

I was wrong.

images

Grant of rights.

Ketch: you've been consistently saying UT won't extend the GOR and the Big 12 is dead man walking, which is music to my ears. But, you haven't said what our most likely landing place is...is that because our administration doesn't truly know yet, they haven't told anybody yet, or you're not letting us know what you're hearing?

Also, I watched Scarface recently and I didn't remember how many great lines Pacino had in that flick...he was actually pretty spot on with a lot of his comments about society. Another classic gangster movie by him.

Last edited:
Soccer fan trying to make soccer rocket science is funny.

I'd bet I watch 15-20+ hours per week How about you?

This week alone, I've watched 5 games involving EPL teams, 5 MLS games and at least five games from the Olympics.
Don't let them troll you Ketch! You don't have to justify your soccer knowledge. You know more than 98% of the people reading and half of us just gloss over the soccer stuff anyway.

If anything, I'd dumb down your soccer takes for this column and play to masses. See if you can get a few more of us on board with watching the sport. Personally, I know I'm not the only one who doesn't understand all the different leagues and whatnot. Maybe do a separate, in depth soccer column for the real enthusiasts.

As for the "Dirst" post, I'm all for freedom of speech, but the picture doesn't lend itself to any healthy discussion, or further any worthwhile cause. It's just disturbing and most certainly must violate some sort of TOS agreement. If someone posted a beheading pic you'd have taken that down by now. How is this different?

Ketch: you've been consistently saying UT won't extend the GOR and the Big 12 is dead man walking, which is music to my ears. But, you haven't said what our most likely landing place is...is that because our administration doesn't truly know yet, they haven't told anybody yet, or you're not letting us know what you're hearing?

Also, I watched Scarface recently and I didn't remember how many great lines Pacino had in that flick...he was actually pretty spot on with a lot of his comments about society. Another classic gangster movie by him.
a. I'm not sure that step has been decided. still at the walking stage.

b. I think Scarface has aged well over time.

Reactions: Universal Horn
As for the "Dirst" post, I'm all for freedom of speech, but the picture doesn't lend itself to any healthy discussion, or further any worthwhile cause. It's just disturbing and most certainly must violate some sort of TOS agreement. If someone posted a beheading pic you'd have taken that down by now. How is this different?
I'm confused. What are you talking about?

Kris Boyd might not be among the top corners in the secondary, but there’s no way he’s not one of the top five defensive backs in the program. Vance Bedford needs to find a way to get him on the field.
I'm pulling for Sheroid Evans for sentimental reasons and it sounds like he has looked good in early practices.

Is it male blasphemy to admit that I've never watched Scarface? :oops:

Just go ahead and turn in your man card. You can request return of it from the Mods following an insightful football post and/or posts referencing hot cheerleaders.

"Elite" might be a bit strong, but "pretty damn good" certainly works considering that they ended up 7th in overall Defensive S&P+, 3rd in Passing S&P+, 3rd in Adjusted True Passing Yards per Attempt, 5th in Adjusted Passer Efficiency Allowed and 5th in Sacks Per Pass Attempt, all while dragging around the corpse of the 2014 Longhorn offense.
They also finished 23rd in the country in 3rd down defense at 35%. An impressive stat in itself, but when you take into account they were on the field for 211 3rd downs (111th in the country) due to the albatross of an offense that kept them cemented on the field, it really puts into perspective just how impressive of feat that really is.

At the end of the day though, Ketch is right the defense needs to show great improvement. I'm of the opinion they will.

2013 -- team can't tackle worth a damn.

2014 -- basically the same guys, and they tackle GREAT! (I thought we were all set on defense with Charlie and Bedford)

2015 -- back to crappy tackling. I hope it is just all the young players, and I hope we tackle as well in 2016 as 2014. If so, we might surprise this year.

Just go ahead and turn in your man card. You can request return of it from the Mods following an insightful football post and/or posts referencing hot cheerleaders.
Yes, sir. I deserved to be banished for violating Article I of the man card code. The shame is unbearable.

stout, at least until they tired against the run in the 2nd half from being on the field all day and they saw the TCU aerial blitz. Definitely top two in the Big 12 regardless of what the stats said.
Hmmm...

Was it stout vs. BYU? Or Iowa State? Or TCU?

There were too many non-stout performances mixed in there for me to call it stout.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
QUOTE]

Neither Ketch nor any other media person is going to know what the UT powers-that-be really intend.

Over the past 30 years, UT has made it a practice to not to reveal its true intentions, and on occasion to even deceive the public if it enhances our leverage. An excellent example of that was Chip Brown purposted big scoop on Orangebloods that Texas was going to the PAC. In fact UT was only playing Chip about the PAC to lever ESPN and Fox to sweeten the Big 12 TV deals and ESPN to do the LHN.

am I wrong?
I'm not sure I'd agree that
Pacino I > Pacino II

Two different transitions. Michael changes in both movies. Both are remarkable performances. That final closing shot of Michael in Part II - those black, lost, dead eyes, just get me every time I see it.

I'll concede Brando being more memorable as Don Vito.

I'm not sure I'd agree that
Pacino I > Pacino II

Two different transitions. Michael changes in both movies. Both are remarkable performances. That final closing shot of Michael in Part II - those black, lost, dead eyes, just get me every time I see it.

I'll concede Brando being more memorable as Don Vito.
I dunno. The evolution that takes place in the first film is his best work, slightly over II.

I dunno. The evolution that takes place in the first film is his best work, slightly over II.
I think they're too different to judge one better than the other, though Part I has more obvious changes and turning points, but the subtleties at work in Part II are no less impressive in my view. I can't really choose one over the other. Both are indispensable. Two incredible performances. Two incredible films.

Good points, Craben.

Prior to realignment, the conferences were fairly equitable in strength and money...you could argue UT could do fine in any of them. The difference now is the SEC and B1G strengthened their conferences, are generating the best tv ratings, and are starting to pull away from the other P5's monetarily and in getting the best time slots on the best networks.

UT had all of the power to influence what happened in 2010, and as you said, leveraged that to get the LHN (which has frankly been a dud). In 2025, UT won't have that kind of leverage and will have to adjust its expectations on what it can do. I doubt the B1G, SEC or ACC will allow any other Texas schools to join, whereas the PAC could allow it.

I see this as the biggest decision our brass will have to decide...do we join the best 2 conferences (B1G or SEC) with perhaps OU, do we go ACC alone (OU won't go to the ACC), or do we try to keep some buddies with us (Texoma to PAC). The LHN allowed the brass to avoid that decision in 2010...hopefully we'll have some leaders with brass balls in 2025 so we can finally join a conference full of strong, nationally regarded, like-minded institutions.

Bedford could probably get away with starting 11 Dylan Haines before Charlie fired him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT