ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Hello Mr. Limb, my dear old friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No you need to explain it, because it's at the very foundation of this apparent disconnect.

What "concessions" do you mean?
Concessions to their core principles as human beings.

Equal pay, for example.

Concessions to their core principles as human beings.

Equal pay, for example.
They'd have to drop their commitment to equal pay in order for a larger segment of men to watch.

Is that what you mean?--That a large segment of men are so opposed to equal pay, that they're unwilling to cheer for a team that is committed to such a principle.

They'd have to drop their commitment to equal pay in order for a larger segment of men to watch.

Is that what you mean?
lol...

women's right in general?

The group of men we're mostly talking about don't want to hear a sentence coming from them regarding important issues to them. It's disingenuous to paint that group in any other way.

Not really. It's a little like Kawhi. You don't have to love anything about him away from the court, but you have to respect his work on the floor in willing a team to a title.

If you can't acknowledge that, you probably don't acknowledge much of anything outside of your little bubble of ideas.
You are missing my point. It is ironic that you are asking "Rapinoe's haters" to apply the "You don't have to like it, but you should show the proper amount of respect" mantra to her, when the reason that some people don't like her is due to her failure to apply that same standard to our country's flag.

women's right in general? . . . The group of men we're mostly talking about don't want to hear a sentence coming from them regarding important issues to them. It's disingenuous to paint that group in any other way.
I think we're talking about two different groups. You're talking about a very narrow group which fits neatly into a predictable stereotype.

I'm talking about a much larger group of men, yes, but surely many women as well, who certainly favor equal rights for women, as well as equal pay, but who simply don't want to be rhetorically manipulated by advertisements like Nike's into endorsing a particular narrative of injustice which relies on terms, definitions, and presuppositions that the viewer is not in position to evaluate; which quite obviously glosses over the very real complexities between the concepts of absolute and proportional equality; and which substantially dilutes the native human passion for sport by subjecting it to what is essentially a political philosophy whose merits the soccer stars and the advertising agencies involved are no more qualified to pronounce upon than the average fan.

Might this sort of viewer be forgiven for simply wanting to watch soccer and being spared the political baggage that comes with it?

You are missing my point. It is ironic that you are asking "Rapinoe's haters" to apply the "You don't have to like it, but you should show the proper amount of respect" mantra to her, when the reason that some people don't like her is due to her failure to apply that same standard to our country's flag.
Apples and oranges by a mile. I would think you'd know that, but maybe not.

I think we're talking about two different groups. You're talking about a very narrow group which fits neatly into a predictable stereotype.

I'm talking about a much larger group of men, yes, but surely many women as well, who certainly favor equal rights for women, as well as equal pay, but who simply don't want to be rhetorically manipulated by advertisements like Nike's into endorsing a particular narrative of injustice which relies on terms, definitions, and presuppositions that the viewer is not in position to evaluate; which quite obviously glosses over the very real complexities between the concepts of absolute and proportional equality; and which substantially dilutes the native human passion for sport by subjecting it to what is essentially a political philosophy whose merits the soccer stars and the advertising agencies involved are no more qualified to pronounce upon than the average fan.

Might this sort of viewer be forgiven for simply wanting to watch soccer and being spared the political baggage that comes with it?
I have seen very, very, very few women not support her. Those that do usually do so my misrepresenting her intentions in the way that narrow minded people often do.

I've actually seen more women joke that they'd be gay for her than not support her at all, especially if we eliminate this idea that she's dissing the military, which is the empty, dishonest tactic that so many want to use.

I'm reminded of comments she made this week. It's very much in the l;ine of thinking expressed by James Baldwin decades ago.

Apples and oranges by a mile. I would think you'd know that, but maybe not.
images

That's a matter of perspective, I suppose.

What you're saying is that you and many others support one view, which translates to you ignoring it in the context of this conversation, while applying a different set of rules for the comment you find "controversial".
Did you read the article I linked? It looks like we disagree on the facts. If we could agree on the facts, we could more likely agree on what action to take or not to take.

Just like you, I certainly don’t want the police to kill innocent blacks - just like I don’t want them to kill innocent Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, Indians or whites.

But I think the media has a provable leftist bias and unduly emphasizes one side and ignores the other.

When you repeat the media’s biased reporting here, it causes division. We should all be together here as one human race and don’t need wrongful, divisive politics - on here or elsewhere.

Did you read the article I linked? It looks like we disagree on the facts. If we could agree on the facts, we could more likely agree on what action to take or not to take.

Just like you, I certainly don’t want the police to kill innocent blacks - just like I don’t want them to kill innocent Hispanics, Asians, Arabs, Indians or whites.

But I think the media has a provable leftist bias and unduly emphasizes one side and ignores the other.

When you repeat the media’s biased reporting here, it causes division. We should all be together here as one human race and don’t need wrongful, divisive politics - on here or elsewhere.
k.

p.s. I don't mean that one in a snide way. I just don't have any urge whatsoever to engage with you. It's futile.

Reactions: longhorn4444
Only in pretend land.
w/r/t Rapinoe: "You might not like her negatives, but you must ignore that and show proper respect to her based on the positive results."
w/r/t Kwahi: "You might not like his negatives, but you must ignore that and show proper respect to him based on the positive results."
w/r/t America's Flag: "It's totally okay to focus just on the negatives, ignore all of the positive results, and not show proper respect."

Reactions: exit-left
Three quick thoughts...

a. The video of her talking about the White House was months old when it came out. It wasn't like she made the comments in the middle of the World Cup. It was an off the cuff comment made months ago.

b. She has stood for the anthem throughout the tournament. It's that she's not singing that is apparently the problem for some, which feels very much like forced propaganda at this point. It's always something.

c. In general, I wish people cared 1/10 for the reasons why she kneeled as they care for her not kneeling. Maybe then we wouldn't have as many black men dying at the hands of the police.
giphy.gif

w/r/t Rapinoe: "You might not like her negatives, but you must ignore that and show proper respect to her based on the positive results."
w/r/t Kwahi: "You might not like his negatives, but you must ignore that and show proper respect to him based on the positive results."
w/r/t America's Flag: "It's totally okay to focus just on the negatives, ignore all of the positive results, and not show proper respect."
lol.... like I said... only in pretend land

Okay, show me where I mischaracterize your stance on those 3 items.
I choose not to engage with you about this.

Your perception of what her kneeling means flies in the face of reality or the fact that it's original conception came from someone from the military.

The entire premise proposed by you is intellectually disingenuous and always has been.

I have seen very, very, very few women not support her. Those that do usually do so my misrepresenting her intentions in the way that narrow minded people often do.

I've actually seen more women joke that they'd be gay for her than not support her at all, especially if we eliminate this idea that she's dissing the military, which is the empty, dishonest tactic that so many want to use.

I'm reminded of comments she made this week. It's very much in the l;ine of thinking expressed by James Baldwin decades ago.

Slavery was an extremely horrific institution, but it was not an American invention. According to Wikipedia, slavery operated in the very first civilizations, as far back as 3500 BC. Maybe Rapinoe should criticize all countries that allowed slavery, to be fair.

Has it been discussed that Kennedy Brooks has been MIA from OU for over a month?

I guess dude is all but gone at this point.

Slavery was an extremely horrific institution, but it was not an American invention. According to Wikipedia, slavery operated in the very first civilizations, as far back as 3500 BC. Maybe Rapinoe should criticize all countries that allowed slavery, to be fair.
The ol, "Johnny did it, too" excuse in an effort to avoid a real discussion about the issues being raised.

Nice work. Hadn't seen that in the last four seconds.

I have seen very, very, very few women not support her. Those that do usually do so my misrepresenting her intentions in the way that narrow minded people often do . . . I've actually seen more women joke that they'd be gay for her than not support her at all.
Then TexasLawnghorn is no more trapped within "a little bubble of ideas" than you are.
I'm reminded of comments she made this week. It's very much in the line of thinking expressed by James Baldwin decades ago.
Nothing in either Rapinoe's comments or Baldwin's quote make it necessary for her to disrespect the flag and the anthem which have done her no harm, which many of us love, and which symbolize the country that she is supposed to represent.

Then TexasLawnghorn is no more trapped within "a little bubble of ideas" than you are.

Nothing in either Rapinoe's comments or Baldwin's quote make it necessary for her to disrespect the flag and the anthem which have done her no harm, which many of us love, and which symbolize the country that she is supposed to represent.
She’s been complaining about slavery. We fought a war with ourselves to stop it. Then went on a crusade with Britain and France to eradicate it from the earth. They were unsuccessful as Middle Eastern countries still take slaves from Africa to this day.

America isn’t perfect, ruling over an entire planet isn’t easy. However America pulling back from it’s Cold War era security deals will shine a light on just how amazing America was to the world.

The OU guys at 24/7 are trying to break it to their followers in a nice, easy way. Leaving them with some hope.

I'm guessing you must be privy to the rumors that they aren't mentioning.

She’s been complaining about slavery. We fought a war with ourselves to stop it. Then went on a crusade with Britain and France to eradicate it from the earth. They were unsuccessful as Middle Eastern countries still take slaves from Africa to this day.

America isn’t perfect, ruling over an entire planet isn’t easy. However America pulling back from it’s Cold War era security deals will shine a light on just how amazing America was to the world.
All civilizations were founded on slavery.

Only Western civilization abolished it.

So is coral closed?
It's hard to confine politics to a separate forum when many people insist on seeing sports primarily through a political lens. That's not Ketch's fault. Every institution of society and every aspect of culture is being politicized and polarized in much the same way. It becomes increasingly difficult to draw a clear line between politics and art, politics and education, politics and science, politics and sport.

In a sense, I'm trying to recover that distinction through my argument in this thread.

The ol, "Johnny did it, too" excuse in an effort to avoid a real discussion about the issues being raised.

Nice work. Hadn't seen that in the last four seconds.
Earlier in this same thread, I tried to discuss the issues about whether there was undue police violence on blacks but you dodged it by saying you didn't "have the urge to engage". Am I supposed to ignore one topic because you don't want to discuss those issues and then be criticized now for avoiding "a real discussion about the issues being raised"? Hypocritical much?

Regarding Rapinoe's rant, please read the article on Wikipedia entitled History of Slavery and get back with me. There's such a long history of it that it's almost impossible to summarize it in a few sentences. I think you'll appreciate the fact that it's more than a "Johnny did it, too" idea. It was a horrific practice around the world for thousands of years and to single out the issue in the US just shows a lack of knowledge about slavery. Another issue today is that some people today just want to harp continually on a terrible practice that was outlawed here over150 years ago. What's the purpose - to get it outlawed again? And then you want to support that idea, which only creates division.

As I said before, stick to writing about sports and your site will flourish.

@AbelAtl I can't call Neymar a current Top 5 player when he's not been able to stay fit for much of the last two years and is a cancer to the teams he's on.

He's almost certain to finish outside the Top 10 in the Ballon d'Or vote.

My current Top 5

1. Messi
2. Virgil Van Dijk
3. Ronaldo
4. Mbappe
5. Mohamed Salah

Reactions: AbelAtl
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT