ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Hello Mr. Limb, my dear old friend)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Ketchum , to me Nike detracts from the accomplishment by turning it into a political cause.

Women's soccer will only come into its own as women's soccer once it ceases to be a political cause. The entire premise of the ad is that the success of the USWNT was a means to political ends.

Reactions: Let em Hang
Cool commercial besides "Not only the best female soccer team, but the best soccer team in the world."

Why do they have to say things like that, that are obviously not close to being true, in any universe? People will watch that commercial and focus on that, instead of the truths that it talks about. /rant.
Yeah, they got beat by FC Dallas U15 boys team in warmup for the cup.

Reactions: coopdog
All 23 of them have identical views?
Oh, we know that they aren't all aligned on every single thing.

But, they voted her captain. They love her. When she came into the locker room yesterday, they showered her with love, support and excitement.

Yes, you better believe that the women in that locker room are more together over these causes than they are not together.

Reactions: BennettBrauer
Oh, we know that they aren't all aligned on every single thing.

But, they voted her captain. They love her. When she came into the locker room yesterday, they showered her with love, support and excitement.

Yes, you better believe that the women in that locker room are more together over these causes than they are not together.
But they didn't vote her captain because of her political views. She was an elder, and clearly one of the more proficient players.

But they didn't vote her captain because of her political views. She was an elder, and clearly one of the more proficient players.
I think it's naive to believe they didn't vote for her because she's the entire package.

She's THAT woman.

I think it's naive to believe they didn't vote for her because she's the entire package.
I think it's naive to believe that any democratic process will neatly reflect the political will of the entire demos. But to say that electing a soccer captain neatly reflects the political will of the entire soccer team seems beyond naive.

If women's soccer insists on being a political cause, then it limits its own horizon and diminishes the fundamental soccer excellence that ought to draw people into the sport.

I think it's naive to believe that any democratic process will neatly reflect the political will of the entire demos. But to say that electing a soccer captain neatly reflects the political will of the entire soccer team seems beyond naive.

If women's soccer insists on being a political cause, then it limits its own horizon and diminishes the fundamental soccer excellence that ought to draw people into the sport.
When it comes to a certain segment of men, that's absolutely true.

Yet, this team produced record ratings and attention... so....

I'm giving myself a pass.

I merely answered the issues brought up in the thread.

I'm not sure many of you would truly like to hear me. You might be different, but the majority don't want to hear it. It makes them mad/uncomfortable/mad. I sure as shit am not going to the Corral.

I think everyone wants to hear you ( 90%) but we want you to be balanced in your listening as well

its funny both sides frequently just say " hey if you just insert Obama/Trump
….your argument will make sense

both sides don't think the other side is listening

I feel I can comment since I straddle an independent fence

Fiscally Conservative
Socially Liberal ( so long as I don't pay for others lifestyle)
Agnostic

I get beat up regularly from all sides

I can guarantee you the Left is more violent, tone deaf ( and proud of it) and politically motivated and its not even a close comparison

Your side hates people and things
Conservatives hate ideas

Item C on your list definitely requires more discussion though

I think everyone wants to hear you ( 90%) but we want you to be balanced in your listening as well

Fiscally Conservative
Agnostic

I can guarantee you the Left is more violent, tone deaf ( and proud of it) and politically motivated and its not even a close comparison

Conservatives hate ideas

Not even going to get into it...

When it comes to a certain segment of men, that's absolutely true.
Why not open the door to that segment by making the sport less polarizing?
Yet, this team produced record ratings and attention... so....
Fair enough. I would only say that the potential horizon might be much bigger than what those ratings indicate. Clearly there's a bigger market, part of which is being needlessly closed off.

Why not open the door to that segment by making the sport less polarizing?
Because the concessions that need to be made to open a door to a group that truly don't want the door opened includes too many concessions of principles.

These women are as firm as they can be with their principles and I love them for it.

They don't play the pretend game for the sake of appeasing men.

c. You don't have to like Megan Rapinoe, but my goodness, even her detractors you have to respect the fact that with the weight of the world on her shoulders in the last two weeks, she performed at a level that we crave the world's best athletes to perform. She did the damn thing.
Pretty ironic to use the "You don't have to like it, but you should show the proper amount of respect" line in this situation.

Pretty ironic to use the "You don't have to like it, but you should show the proper amount of respect" line in this situation.
Not really. It's a little like Kawhi. You don't have to love anything about him away from the court, but you have to respect his work on the floor in willing a team to a title.

If you can't acknowledge that, you probably don't acknowledge much of anything outside of your little bubble of ideas.

He can’t help himself. He has a narrative and isn’t budging. The ignorance of the broad brush “police killing black men” narrative is one of Ketch’s favorite cards and it is ridiculous.

about twice as many whites are killed by police than blacks...whites outnumber blacks by about 3.5:1.

oh, good grief.

giphy.gif

These women are as firm as they can be with their principles and I love them for it.
But it's not simply a question of what you love. It concerns many millions of people not named Geoff Ketchum.
Because the concessions that need to be made to open a door to a group that truly don't want the door opened includes too many concessions of principles.
What concessions do you mean?

Last edited:
But it's not simply a question of what you love. It concerns many millions of people not named Geoff Ketchum.

What concessions do you mean?
Honestly, I'm not avoiding the question, but if you have to ask, I'm not sure my explaining it will help.

I don't know that OU will be better. They lose a LOT off their O-line and their receiving core will be less experienced and they won't have a wisp of smoke at the QB position. We'll see as the season progresses but Jalen Hurts is nowhere near the threat at QB that Baker and Kyler were IMO.

His best may be tuck and run. He may be asked (or find a need) to run more this year than ever. We have learned what a good running QB can do in an offense (see 2018 UT & ou). Our only chance may be to seal off ou’s RB and QB runs. The rest seems well covered.

10. (I've Been) Searchin' So Long
9. Just You n' Me
8. Beginnings
7. Make Me Smile
6. Does Anyone Really Know
5. If You Leave Me Now
4. Hard to Say I'm Sorry
3. You're the Inspiration
2. 25 Or 6 To 4
1. Saturday in the Park

=====================

Mostly agree but would put Feeling Stronger Every Day in there instead of your #3.

I find it interesting that none of the other comments/responses that are politically themed have been given the same responses.

It's because they match the current conservative prevailing winds.

Fiscally Conservative
Agnostic

Conservatives hate ideas

Lol at straddling the independent fence

10. (I've Been) Searchin' So Long
9. Just You n' Me
8. Beginnings
7. Make Me Smile
6. Does Anyone Really Know
5. If You Leave Me Now
4. Hard to Say I'm Sorry
3. You're the Inspiration
2. 25 Or 6 To 4
1. Saturday in the Park

=====================

Mostly agree but would put Feeling Stronger Every Day in there instead of your #3.
Fair enough. Love seeing the personal list. Thanks!

Honestly, I'm not avoiding the question, but if you have to ask, I'm not sure my explaining it will help.
No you need to explain it, because it's at the very foundation of this apparent disconnect.

What "concessions" do you mean?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT