ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Pretty much all of this will make A&M heads explode...)

Tom Herman’s message to Jimbo and the other coaches when it comes to recruiting...

PEnWPo.gif
cornbread!

Reactions: KingPinChris
Osaka is Japanese. Her name is. And for me, there’s a Japan flag by her name and her supporters hold it up and when given choice she chose Japan for tennis representation. She has dual citizenship but she’s Japanese.

“..if man wants to come himself Muhammed Ali, I say Muhammed Ali.”
“Mama call him Clay. I call him Clay. Cassius Clay.”
As I was saying...

The sound was amazing. Not sure if you have a surround setup, but the way they portrayed the street scenes it sounded as if you were there. Really cool.
It was. The natural sounds in the movie were fascinating.

Tough call.

1-She has stated she has interest in playing for Japan in Tokyo 2020 Olympics.
2- She plays for Japan in the Federations Cup.
3- However, she does have dual-nationality. (Japan / US). (Technically triple, with her dad being Haitian, if Haiti allows for it and she chose to pursue it)

Japanese law states she is forced to pick one or the other when she turns 22, however, that law is hardly ever enforced. (Source)

Personally, points 1 and 2, have me picking Japanese over American, despite #3. (Especially if she ends up picking Japan for the Olympics.)

Edit: for the record, I have triple citizenship and i consider myself all three, but I am not a professional athlete being forced to pick a country to represent.
who she plays tennis for has nothing to do with whether she's American.

Good stuff.

- This is the first year I've paid attention to Aggies complaining about the rankings. The whining is pretty funny.

- Having a class ranked higher than A&M and OU speaks volumes to the recruiting job of Herman's staff. Hard not to be impressed.

- Shaka is a basketball coach at a football coach with a lot of money left on his contract. It is what it is.

- Since you say 5-stars are more likely to become NFL players, it stands to reason that Bru has a better chance statistically of having a better career than Collin.

- Patriots acting like underdogs is like Jordan saying people doubted him throughout his career.

She's been here since she was three and refers to herself as Japanese-American.
'Although Osaka was raised in the United States, her parents decided that their daughters would represent Japan. They said, "We made the decision that Naomi would represent Japan at an early age. She was born in Osaka and was brought up in a household of Japanese and Haitian culture. Quite simply, Naomi and her sister Mari have always felt Japanese so that was our only rationale. It was never a financially motivated decision nor were we ever swayed either way by any national federation." '

Good stuff.

- This is the first year I've paid attention to Aggies complaining about the rankings. The whining is pretty funny.

- Having a class ranked higher than A&M and OU speaks volumes to the recruiting job of Herman's staff. Hard not to be impressed.

- Shaka is a basketball coach at a football coach with a lot of money left on his contract. It is what it is.

- Since you say 5-stars are more likely to become NFL players, it stands to reason that Bru has a better chance statistically of having a better career than Collin.

- Patriots acting like underdogs is like Jordan saying people doubted him throughout his career.
a. Aggie complaining is as old as the sport. The only championship awards they win are boycotts are crying.

b. Herman's staff did an incredibly class, considering they got smoked in-state.

c. Yup. It is what it is. The extension given to Shaka shortly after showing up is a big deal at the moment.

d. I'm not sure Bru arriving with an edge on Johnson in terms of likely NFL prospects before they play a down automatically translates to having a better career. It's not impossible, though. Johnson has racked up numbers that give him a huge head start and he's staying a fourth season.

e. Always looking for a mental edge, even when it has to be invented.

'Although Osaka was raised in the United States, her parents decided that their daughters would represent Japan. They said, "We made the decision that Naomi would represent Japan at an early age. She was born in Osaka and was brought up in a household of Japanese and Haitian culture. Quite simply, Naomi and her sister Mari have always felt Japanese so that was our only rationale. It was never a financially motivated decision nor were we ever swayed either way by any national federation." '
And yet, she's still an American, even if not gift-wrapped in the nice, neat package so many apparently wish she would be.

Sorry she's not an American they way anyone wants her to be.

It's interesting that some define being an American, only if they drape themselves in the flag's colors.
Then how would you define it. As a SJW, who probably aides with people picking the gender that feel they are, to disregard the flag and country that someone chooses to perform under seems hypocritical.

Good stuff.

Nailed it

Then how would you define it. As a SJW, who probably aides with people picking the gender that feel they are, to disregard the flag and country that someone chooses to perform under seems hypocritical.
tenor.gif

You'll forgive me if I don't define someone's American-ness by which team she plays for.

Is that supposed to be a logical reasoned response?
nope, just a remark to easily dismiss a ridiculous narrative, where you somehow think you can define someone's citizenship based on your own personal whims related to who they compete in the Olympics for.

d. I'm not sure Bru arriving with an edge on Johnson in terms of likely NFL prospects before they play a down automatically translates to having a better career. It's not impossible, though. Johnson has racked up numbers that give him a huge head start and he's staying a fourth season.

@Ketchum agree. The B/S was not "who has more talent/upside/skills/ranking", it was "who will have a better career" at TX. Along with the potential extra year you mention, if we agree that this is the best receiving class ever, then there will be several other dynamic targets in the pattern. We live in exciting times and hats off to what was thought to be a "down year" in '19 compared to '18.

Condescension is a very juvenile attitude but one day you will grow up.
It helps when I'm dealing with folks with juve behavior, like someone declaring that an American citizen is somehow not American enough for them because she chooses to participate for a non-USA Olympic team.

How else should I treat someone who views his American-ness through the prism of sports, instead of character, action and yanno... actually paying taxes.

Should I treat that person with more respect than he or she chooses to show?

tenor.gif

Is Hakeem Olajuwon less African because he played on the US Olympic team? Less Nigerian?

Don't shoot the messenger, but the sense I have is that the heat isn't nearly as intense as it was when Charlie Strong went sideways in 2015 and then into the dumpster in the final months of 2016. While everyone seems incredibly frustrated, the three people I spoke with on Sunday all indicated they believed Smart would likely return next season.

1. How are you framing the question? Are you simply asking "will Shaka return," or are you asking "assuming he misses a 2nd tournament in 4 seasons, is Shaka returning?"
2. Nobody in the athletic department thinks a HC is gone until, well, they are gone.

1. How are you framing the question? Are you simply asking "will Shaka return," or are you asking "assuming he misses a 2nd tournament in 4 seasons, is Shaka returning?"
2. Nobody in the athletic department thinks a HC is gone until, well, they are gone.
I asked my highest level sources on a scale of 1-10, how much trouble is Shaka in and I let them take the question where they wanted to take it with regards to an answer.

Well, for starters, he might just be the highest-rated wide receiver prospect in the history of the school. At worst, we're talking about the No. 2 highest-rated receiver in the history of the school

Yet predictably you already have posters talking thinking he needs switch to defense full time before ever takes a snap

I asked my highest level sources on a scale of 1-10, how much trouble is Shaka in and I let them take the question where they wanted to take it with regards to an answer.

My guess is your source simply didn't want to consider what is becoming obvious. I guess we'll see. We almost certainly are going to miss the tournament. Guess we'll see if CDC wears big boy pants or not. he will be making a TERRIBLY short-sighted decision if he chooses to skimp and save what likely would be about $3 million because wasting another year could be really bad in a number of ways including losing out long-term on a guy like Beard.

My guess is your source simply didn't want to consider what is becoming obvious. I guess we'll see. We almost certainly are going to miss the tournament. Guess we'll see if CDC wears big boy pants or not. he will be making a TERRIBLY short-sighted decision if he chooses to skimp and save what likely would be about $3 million because wasting another year could be really bad in a number of ways including losing out long-term on a guy like Beard.
You don't know anything about my sources, so projecting your thoughts on what he or she might want to consider is useless.

ADVERTISEMENT