ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Time to double down on Sam...)

@Ketchum with regards to your comment on Whittington, did he come up injured again. If so, I have missed that....my bad. Thanks for a great 10 Thoughts, as per usual.
No. Just referenced him starting camp nursing the hammy.

Racism against whites never gets discussed. Sad
lol. sure it does.

Just not in this thread today. If you need to go discuss it, go discuss it there until you don't have any urge to discuss anywhere else.

It is playing football right now and has put playing football in front of extreme caution.

LOL, that’s not an $ec value - three leagues made the choice to play and one of the ones that chose not to is having extreme levels of regret and looks like complete clowns. For once the Big XII isn’t the joke.

Also, since when is “extreme caution” the standard? Under the standards of “extreme caution” no one should ever play football.

LOL, that’s not an $ec value - three leagues made the choice to play and one of the ones that chose not to is having extreme levels of regret and looks like complete clowns. For once the Big XII isn’t the joke.
The leagues that are the jokes are the ones UT fancies itself as pals and colleagues with... typically.

Reactions: Sneaky Russians
Brewer: Considering he never redshirted and enters this season with only a single season of experience under his belt, I'd have to think he'd give serious consideration to sticking around for another season and I'd have to believe Herman would do cartwheels over the idea of having him for another season.

If Brewer can have the season he's capable of having, that would give him 2 seasons and he'd probably draw a decent grade from the NFL. Given his history of injuries, he'd be wise to jump.

... This dude having a solid scrimmage on Saturday and causing a bit of an Internet meltdown is the most normal thing about all of 2020.

Isn't there almost always a camp hero at WR every year?

I'm not sure I've ever seen a freshman catch 20 passes and make seven starts, only to be mostly completely dismissed as a potential impact piece in future seasons by a large portion of the Texas fan base. We're a group that usually goes ga-ga for players with such profiles and it's completely skipped Epps.

OB has pretty much never understood that Epps was a guy who arrived needing a lot of polish.

Reactions: rlstep
Is Chris Brown the most slept on senior defensive back with double-digit starts since ... I dunno ... in a while?

Hard to disagree. As much as people want to STILL tout Caden Sterns and BJ Foster, the simple fact is currently Brown is a superior player to both.

Reactions: Dirty Deuce
... If I'm Epps, Jared Wiley and Braydon Liebrock, I'm hoping Brewer has a good enough season to head on off to the NFL. All three guys are going to want his snaps in 2021.

Playing a heavy dose of 12 personnel will help. ;)

Reactions: Ben3490
... Little birdies are worried about what's behind all of those starting linemen. Might not impact 2020 if the group stays healthy, but there all kinds of questions about this group when peeking into 2021.

Completely warranted. Obviously our sh*tting OL recruiting for '21 isn't helping.

. D’Shawn Jamison becoming a star in the Texas secondary? Instant reaction? Right on time.

Jamison is a taller, less stocky version of Quandre. Both can flat out ball. That's what happens when you move guys who were electric playmakers on offense is HS to DB when that choice has to be made.

... Alfred Collins and Vernon Broughton are being talked about exactly the way you'd want a couple of in-state top-10 prospects to be talked about after a few weeks of practice. They both appear to be legit early on.

Please let one or even both be in the mold of a Rod Wright or better yet, Shaun Rogers. First time in a long time we've had non-tweener monster inside DL guys who can also move. Malcom Brown is the only recent one and he's quite frankly not been that recent.

(Sell) This isn't a heavy sell, but I don't get the sense today that Tom Herman is looking to move Herb Hand.

A year ago did you get the sense Herman was looking to move Todd Orlando (along with 6 other assistants)?

(Buy) Yeah, man. Twelve months ago, this thing looked like a potential No. 1 class in the making.

Yep. It's relatively an abomination what it's become in the time since. Per Rivals we are #13 with a 3.47 star ranking. On 247 we are 15th with only an 89.41 player average. Given the in-state strength of this class along with this now being Herman's 4th year on the job, that's rather pathetic.

(Sell) I don't know what "Major Applewhite" type of quarterback means, but Major competed for a starting position and played for four seasons and I don't expect that from Wright.

Let's also not forget that Applehwite's path to the starting job in '98 was cleared by 2 injuries to the top of an already thin depth chart. Quite honestly, if Charles Wright WERE Applewhite, he'd still probably never see the field as a starter in his career given what's ahead of him not to mention what's coming.

... Jordan Speith missed the cut this weekend at The Northern Trust in Boston and is ranked 71st in the world. His last 11 finishes looks like this: Missed cut, 72, 71, 30, 13, missed cut, 54, 68, 10, 58 and 59.

He's officially in full reverse career-wise. Missed the top 30 (Tour Championship) last year for the first time. This season he doesn't even make the top 70 for the next to last event.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Highest Texas prep quarterbacks ...

This isn't my opinion or anything that we can argue over. It's just a look at the top 10 highest rated quarterbacks from the state of Texas since the modern era of the Rivals.com rankings (2002).

The list is inspired by the fact that 2022 commitment Quinn Ewers is currently ranked No. 6 in the Rivals100.

10. Jevan Snead (Class of 2006 - No. 61 overall)
9. Tyrik Rollison (Class of 2009 - No. 60 overall)
8. Stephen McGee (Class of 2004 - No. 50 overall)
7. Robbie Reid (Class of 2004 - No. 41 overall)
6. Garrett Gilbert (Class of 2009 - No. 18 overall)
5. Russell Shepard (Class of 2009 - No. 7 overall)
4. Matt Stafford (Class of 2006 - No. 6 overall)
2T. Ryan Mallett (Class of 2007 - No. 4 overall)
2T. Rhett Bomar (Class of 2004 - No. 4 overall)
1. Vince Young (Class of 2002 - No. 1 overall)

Interestingly, seven of the top 10 and the entire top six all made it to the NFL to some degree. Reid and Snead had varying degrees of success, while Rollison is arguably the biggest quarterback bust of the last two decades when you consider he's the only player in the top 10 that never so much as threw a pass in college, let alone start a game.

Lots of woof in that list. I'm sorry, but from a CFB perspective, at least half of those were busts in college relative to expectations.

Reactions: UT Bondman
Who goes by the name Bobby?

People named Robert. :)

I have 2 recollections of Bobby Reid
1. He heaved at least 2 passes into the stands to avoid sacks at DKR in whatever year
2. He was the inspiration for:
RecentChubbyBergerpicard-small.gif

Let's also not forget that Applehwite's path to the starting job in '98 was cleared by 2 injuries to the top of an already thin depth chart. Quite honestly, if Charles Wright WERE Applewhite, he'd still probably never see the field as a starter in his career given what's ahead of him not to mention what's coming.

Your thinking's correct, however the hypothesis should be "if Applewhite were Charles Wright today" he probably wouldn't see the field because of the QB talent he'd have to compete with.

If Charles Wright had been Applewhite in 1998, he might have been just as successful as Major was that season (perhaps more), particularly if Wright was also bolstered by having a Heisman winner at RB and a senior OL surrounding him like Applewhite was.

You could probably make the supposition that Ehlinger wouldn't see the field either if he had to compete against talent like Card, Jackson and Ewers.

If Brewer can have the season he's capable of having, that would give him 2 seasons and he'd probably draw a decent grade from the NFL. Given his history of injuries, he'd be wise to jump.
I suppose it comes down to whether he's capable of posting the season he's capable of in 2020, but if he thinks of himself as a true NFL prospect, I agree with you.

Reactions: RLong68
You could probably make the supposition that Ehlinger wouldn't see the field either if he had to compete against talent like Card, Jackson and Ewers.

Ehlinger was a rock solid 4-star (just outside the top 100) coming out of HS. By no one's accounts is Wright even close to even that level of prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT