ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Beyond the point of no return...)

Oh, I feel you. I just can't believe he's back, no matter what my sources say tonight.
What do you think about essentially hiring very lateral to Herman? For example a PJ fleck or Matt Campbell? Someone that’s not a big name? Does that excite people? Does that excite the admin? I can tell you right now a hire like that damn sure won’t excite me.

If Urban told them to, yeah, I would think so.

yeah, the early signing day deadline is pretty unimportant relative to getting urban onboard. Who cares if we look like idiots for another month if urban says yes in January. Don’t think that’ll happen, but there’s literally no rush if urban ultimately says yes.

I love the tailgate... But I will not give one dime to the Athletic department.. And honestly I might even consider not even tailgating and staying home.
I’ll reach out in April to see if that’s still the case. Knowing you, I have a real hard time believing that you won’t be there.

I saw a good breakdown on Campbell on another site. I could warm up to him. He beats ou and he might win the Big 12 this year... Texas cannot even do that now..
Yay he beats ou and loses to Louisiana and Iowa. Yippee! We can change how we come in third place. It’ll look different but the result will be the same. Mediocrity. He’s the exact same as Herman. His teams have played up and down to competition his entire tenure.

Yay he beats ou and loses to Louisiana and Iowa. Yippee! We can change how we come in third place. It’ll look different but the result will be the same. Mediocrity. He’s the exact same as Herman. His teams have played up and down to competition his entire tenure.

What if he wins the Big 12 at Iowa State? Texas cannot even do this......

When the 2021 recruiting class puts pen to paper in the coming weeks, the Longhorns will likely sign only three of the state's Top 35 in-state prospects from the current Rivals rankings, with only one of the three ranking inside the state Top 15 (Oklahoma has three Top 15 commits).

The greatest passer in UT history, and three Heisman Trophy winners (representing the highest impact football player in college football) have come from outside of the Top 35 in Texas. There is lots of talent outside of the Top 35.

That represents one of the single biggest in-state disasters I've covered in recruiting in my 26 years of covering the state.

That's just one year. And I have a hard time seeing the 17th (or thereabout) rated class in the nation as a disaster. That would make the other 107 or so FBS universities' 2021 recruiting classes disasters, or 87% of all major colleges. There are currently Top 10 teams that haven't had a recruiting class rated that high in the last five seasons, or maybe ever.

I think you've already seen a bigger recruiting disaster than this year. It was the four straight top 5 UT recruiting classes from 2009-2012. Those were bad recruiting classes. Only time will tell if the 2021 will be as bad as any of those on the actual college playing field, where how good they are in college is actually determined.

If UT can sustain even a top 15 team in the polls, they can very plausibly build from there to loftier aspirations in the polls and recruiting ratings. And it doesn't take elite rated classes to get to the top 15 in the polls.

We haven't lived in the on-the-field neighborhood of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, or even LSU (until maybe this year) in a long time. And it will be extremely hard to recruit like them until we can come closer to them on the playing field.

Recruiting feeds off of what happens in college games. Turn our on-the-field performance around, and recruiting will follow, as well as coaches' careers.

Last edited:
What if he wins the Big 12 at Iowa State? Texas cannot even do this......
He won’t. OU will win by 20. You can play the what if game in all sorts of ways. I don’t like the “but it’s Iowa state” excuse. He’s 34-27 there. Some are impressed because of where it’s at.
. I look at it for what it is, mediocre. I also don’t understand why people assume some guy who’s never recruited at a high level will all of the sudden bring in top 3 classes. There’s absolutely no evidence that this would happen. It’s all just a prayer.

Reactions: Horns0501
@MauiHorn

Come on man, anybody who is paying attention knew Texas was going to come after UM after the first loss of the season. There was even talk of it last year. CDC didn't let the cat out of the bag. It was inevitable that this would become national news.

Soon as a HC has his fate sealed, as TH does, it takes people who pay attention a very short amount of time to hone in on the preferred replacement. Once that happens, it becomes news. That isn't CDC's fault.

Ketch, do you think we have it in us to pursue Saban one more time?

How about reaching out to Kyle Shanahan and getting a feel if he might have interest.

What do you think about essentially hiring very lateral to Herman? For example a PJ fleck or Matt Campbell? Someone that’s not a big name? Does that excite people? Does that excite the admin? I can tell you right now a hire like that damn sure won’t excite me.
I think it's all on the table at this point, or at least it needs to be,

I think he has 3-5 years left in him. He would create a winning foundation for us. We need a known winner to fix us.

If you were a CEO at Verizon that had it made, would you leave to spend your final glory years of your career trying to save MCI, or would you stay put and try to win one more championship before you sail into the sunset?

I bet I know what Saban would do. Not that we are MCI, but we are a rebuild, nonetheless.

ADVERTISEMENT