Ketch's 10 thoughts From The Weekend (Confidence is very, very high - Part II)

what's the justification? At their peaks, Ryan was never as good as Clemens.
It depends how you define "peak".

I think its fair to say that there were at least seven times Nolan had a peak greater than any Roger ever had.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, I like Nolan better. ;)

If I need a pitcher for an entire season...I'd probably take Clemens.

If its just one game? Time to get a ticket on the Nolan Express.

a. So your saying that he had no drop issues prior to the last 1/4 of the season?
b. Specifics I think matter, particularly when you're using this as the reason he had dropped passes
c. Maybe, but if the coaches thought he could play through it, then they made a judgement call that his hand was not hurt enough to make a difference in the game. If it did, he shouldn't have been in the games to begin with.
In 2022. Yes.

The coaches felt like a limited Worthy with drops was better than any other option it had.

He had 7 drops that season per PFF. 5 occurred in the last 4 games after the injury. He had 2 in the first 9 games.

That's not a subjective position. It's a posting of facts.

It depends how you define "peak".

I think its fair to say that there were at least seven times Nolan had a peak greater than any Roger ever had.

Also, and perhaps most importantly, I like Nolan better. ;)

If I need a pitcher for an entire season...I'd probably take Clemens.

If its just one game? Time to get a ticket on the Nolan Express.
But, Ryan was never the best pitcher in any given year. Clems was that dude repeatedly.

But, I understand liking him more. ;)

If I had expanded to 20, I would have included him. As it was, I had to leave off the NFL's No.5 all-time leading rusher.

These kinds of lists are always contentious. Everyone has their own criteria.

As an aside, I remember trying to ride a 10 speed up a small hill in Boulder, Colorado and though my legs were going to explode. I can't imagine doing that through the French Alps over 150 miles.

Reactions: ndennis25
But, Ryan was never the best pitcher in any given year. Clems was that dude repeatedly.

But, I understand liking him more. ;)
It really comes down to that for me. Your list - your rules. I was just commenting on what I would have done.

Just curious, but are you basing "the best pitcher in any given year" on Cy Young awards? I can understand and respect that position.

However, be careful. Thats subject to voting and bias.

(see: Bush, Reggie - Heisman)

Reactions: Volente1
In 2022. Yes.

The coaches felt like a limited Worthy with drops was better than any other option it had.

He had 7 drops that season per PFF. 5 occurred in the last 4 games after the injury. He had 2 in the first 9 games.

That's not a subjective position. It's a posting of facts.
So he had a big , catchable late 4th quarter TD drop in the ok state game in Stillwater that year that could've sealed the win for Texas, and was outside the last 1/4 of the season. It was mid season actually. Can't use the broken hand to explain that one--he blew it.
He also fumbled a ball at kansas state at a critical time of the game (the second half)-also outside the last 4 games of the year.

Worthy's issues were not hand related; they were mental. And he struggled with pressure. The broken hand had nothing to do with it.

These kinds of lists are always contentious. Everyone has their own criteria.

As an aside, I remember trying to ride a 10 speed up a small hill in Boulder, Colorado and though my legs were going to explode. I can't imagine doing that through the French Alps over 150 miles.
It's like the dog competitions. How do I rank a poodle vs. a bull dog.

Reactions: DrinkToIt
It really comes down to that for me. Your list - your rules. I was just commenting on what I would have done.

Just curious, but are you basing "the best pitcher in any given year" on Cy Young awards? I can understand and respect that position.

However, be careful. Thats subject to voting and bias.

(see: Bush, Reggie - Heisman)
Generically, thinking of Cy Young Awards.

Reactions: ndennis25
So he had a big , catchable late 4th quarter TD drop in the ok state game in Stillwater that year that could've sealed the win for Texas, and was outside the last 1/4 of the season. It was mid season actually. Can't use the broken hand to explain that one--he blew it.
He also fumbled a ball at kansas state at a critical time of the game (the second half)-also outside the last 4 games of the year.

Worthy's issues were not hand related; they were mental. And he struggled with pressure. The broken hand had nothing to do with it.

He injured the hand against Kansas State. Honestly, you should get a better handle on things and his situation before having such an emphatic set of thoughts.

The data I have given you is not subjective.

Campbell at 7, but no Dickerson in the top 15? I feel like they'd be tied on my top football player from Texas list.

In 2022. Yes.

So those balls that he dropped that were in his hands--balls that you could've caught--nobody else could've made those catches?

So those balls that he dropped that were in his hands--balls that you could've caught--nobody else could've made those catches?
The coaches would tell you that no one else would have gotten open to be in a position to make those catches.

Do you not remember 2022? They literally tried a different guy every week on the other outside spot.

Campbell at 7, but no Dickerson in the top 15? I feel like they'd be tied on my top football player from Texas list.
Oh man...didn't even think about Dickerson. LT also.

Shit -- Dickerson should be on the list, if only for the Gold Trans Am. LOL

He injured the hand against Kansas State. Honestly, you should get a better handle on things and his situation before having such an emphatic set of thoughts.

Remember Geoff,
You're the one who keeps up the rationalization of Worthy's drops
I remember those games and dropped balls very clearly--and so do a lot of people. Worthy wasn't criticized for nothing. And the data your giving doesn't explain balls right in the bread-basket that he dropped. Those stats don't explain it at all.
You said earlier that it was the last quarter of the season (and then you said, the last for games)
(those issues were before this time-frame)

And with all due respect-I don't think you have a clear handle on his hand, or enough specifics on how or why his passes were dropped. You keep bringing it up because it fits your narrative, that he dropped those balls because he had a "broken hand."

And you're not objective about Worthy--never have been. You are DEFINATELY the quintessential president of the Worthy fan club ;)

Florida is no where near as impressive and is football dominated in a massive way.
Florida is incredibly disappointing. Basically the '95 cowboys (deion, emmitt, irvin) and a bunch of mediocrity.

could argue that they had the two most naturally gifted basketball players of all time (vince carter & t-mac), but when those are your two best options, you don't have much to talk about.

Remember Geoff,
You're the one who keeps up the rationalization of Worthy's drops

I'm the one that uses non-confirmation bias data to support his thoughts.

Drop rates per season

2021: 4.6
2022: 10.6
2023: 6.3

Ceedee Lamb

2021: 5.5
2022: 9.1
2023: 10.8

Justin Jefferson

2021: 4.9
2022: 7.7
2023: 4.3

Jamar Chase

2021: 3.8
2022: 5.3
2023: 9.4

If you take away his time with a broken wrist, he's right there with the norms of the best receiver in the sport.

Florida is incredibly disappointing. Basically the '95 cowboys (deion, emmitt, irvin) and a bunch of mediocrity.

could argue that they had the two most naturally gifted basketball players of all time (vince carter & t-mac), but when those are your two best options, you don't have much to talk about.
Bingo

The coaches would tell you that no one else would have gotten open to be in a position to make those catches.

Do you not remember 2022? They literally tried a different guy every week on the other outside spot.

I don't remember the coaches telling us that at all. And don't tell me those other receivers didn't have enough speed to lighten the load and make catchable passes.

NO ONE questions his speed-least of all me. That's never been questioned--ever. It's his hands that have been questioned. And that's completely fair to question that.

Yes, I do remember 2022, and I remember ALL of his critical drops (including the TD drop against alabama last year)--do you???

Thanks Mardoc

I'm more saying that the greatest American Handball player of all time isn't the greatest athlete of all time.....

It isn't as popular or prestigous enough sport to warrant it -> even if someone is head and shoulders above everyone else.

I'm not downplaying her greatness / I am just saying it isn't a worldwide top sport -> if it was and specialized training wasn't such a factor / these few countries wouldn't dominate it like they do.

I think you've brought up some god points here. I think one thing to keep in mind is that all/most sports in the US are dominated by "travel ball" whether that's basketball/baseball/soccer/volleyball/track/softball/etc. Gymnastics certainly falls in that category and they do cost a lot of money. In my experience, there aren't truly elite kids in any sport that are paying much if anything to play on the best AAU teams or MLS Next/ECNL soccer teams or whatever.

I don't know but suspect it's the same in gymnastics.

Another thing you bring up and I'm not sure how to reconcile is the degree to popularity or prestigiousness of it. If so, I'm not sure we can consider baseball or football at the top and not sure where it would fall world wide.

For me, my list would be different and I don't think I'd have Biles at the top but can understand the case being made for her.

I think you've brought up some god points here. I think one thing to keep in mind is that all/most sports in the US are dominated by "travel ball" whether that's basketball/baseball/soccer/volleyball/track/softball/etc. Gymnastics certainly falls in that category and they do cost a lot of money. In my experience, there aren't truly elite kids in any sport that are paying much if anything to play on the best AAU teams or MLS Next/ECNL soccer teams or whatever.

I don't know but suspect it's the same in gymnastics.

Another thing you bring up and I'm not sure how to reconcile is the degree to popularity or prestigiousness of it. If so, I'm not sure we can consider baseball or football at the top and not sure where it would fall world wide.

For me, my list would be different and I don't think I'd have Biles at the top but can understand the case being made for her.

She's the only athlete on the list that is the GOAT of their high level sport.

In fact, there's no one else that's really even close.

I'll find a way to persevere through leaving a disgrace that his sport still hasn't fully recovered from off the list.

He has literally been stripped of his accomplishments.

453437147_1218119942765238_6328619510526382063_n.jpg
And all of the competitive cyclists in that era were all found guilty of doping--and yet Lance is the one who got banished--because he was a defiant asshole. If he didn't come back and race in the tour as an old man, he would have literally ridden off into the sunset.

He is one of the greatest endurance athletes that has ever lived. And by the way, he has rebuilt his wealth, he has become a much nicer person, and they even interview him now on Tour broadcasts.

While people like you continue to hate him, he has completely moved on. Maybe you should as well.

They told us with their actions. Do you remember those?
Yes, and the drops were also actions--which is what we're discussing. Also bringing in a receiver like Adenai Mitchell and throwing to him when they really needed critical catches was also an action that suggested, they wanted a receiver with better hands under critical moments to throw to.
And thank goodness Sark did, because we wouldn't have won the conference without him.

Could make the case that both should be behind Peterson and LT
Not sure I would respect the opinion of anyone putting Earl behind those three. (AP, ED, & LT)

You made the correct argument yourself in your OP. The focus needs to be on what Earl did, when Earl was Earl.

Being in a position to make catches is not the same as actually making those catches. We could have Noah Lyles at receiver, and if he muffs critical balls, that doesn't do us much good.

@Ketchum The discussion of top 10 athletes would have much cleaner if you had done a top 10 of male and a top 10 of female. There is a reason why we keep these 2 groups separate in competitions.

The Dickerson vs. LT battle is a very good one.
I'd put those guys as 2A/B on a list behind Earl if we were to filter down to just "Texas HBs".

This is me grading...
Peterson gets a big knock for going North to attend school.
Dickerson gets a nice bump for screwing the aggs. Additional bonus for surviving a serial killer while at SMU.
LT was a fantastic "all-around" back that is what the modern day game needs in a "3 Down Back" today.

Reactions: Ketchum and pied
She's the only athlete on the list that is the GOAT of their high level sport.

In fact, there's no one else that's really even close.

1. I'm not going to claim t be a gymnastics expert and reserve the right to be wrong, especially using Wikipedia.

2. it tells me Biles is #3(currently) all time in Olympic medals.

1. Larisa Latynina - 9 gold - 5 silver - 4 bronze
2. Věra Čáslavská - 7 gold - 4 silver - 0 bronze
3. Simone Biles - 7 gold - 2 silver - 2 bronze

Is that wrong or are you using additional criteria? (like world championships/etc.)

The greatest gymnast of all-time was orphaned because they were so poor, but sure...
Just for clarification, did you say Biles was the greatest gymnast of all-time or the greatest athlete of all-time?