Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The latest on Micah Hudson isn't great...)

That’s the criteria you’ve presented me correct?

I can’t use just any gutsy game by like simms needing his spleen? (I think it was) removed after a game etc
well, we are talking about running backs...

Ok guys, I'm going to bed.

Thanks for hanging out and debating, even @Zorlac who couldn't do so without being a little insulting.

But, it's all good. ;)

Reactions: Zorlac
well, we are talking about running backs...

I’m just saying that’s the extremely narrow criteria you’ve presented

Which I did meet with an example

And you brushed that off and said give me more

OJ was a little like Earl. He had an incredibly small window of elite of the elite play. No real post-season success. Career numbers that pale by comparison of others.
Simpson for most of his career wasn't on very good teams. His Buffalo teams never even won their division, never won 10 games in a season. It goes back to the argument some discussed above whether to penalize because on a great team with a great line and great qb, or not. It certainly helps to be on good teams in these rankings discussions.

I’m just saying that’s the extremely narrow criteria you’ve presented

Which I did meet with an example

And you brushed that off and said give me more
I didn't brush it off. It was a great example. I just asked if there were any more.

I can't help it if you don't have any answers.

Simpson for most of his career wasn't on very good teams. His Buffalo teams never even won their division, never won 10 games in a season. It goes back to the argument some discussed above whether to penalize because on a great team with a great line and great qb, or not. It certainly helps to be on good teams in these rankings discussions.

Also really benefits a rb longevity not to get run into the ground and beat to crap on a bad team

In OJ's only carer playoff game, he rushed for 49 yards on 16 carries.

🤷‍♂️

I didn't brush it off. It was a great example. I just asked if there were any more.

I can't help it if you don't have any answers.

Asking for more examples … and not saying it was a great example until now was absolutely brushing it off

You didn’t comment on the example at all other than to give the negative about where I’d ranked Davis

Also really benefits a rb longevity not to get run into the ground and beat to crap on a bad team
Life ain't fair in some of these debates.

I'm guessing Dan Fouts wishes he had been able to play for the Steelers. Or Dan Marino on the 49ers. Or aaron Rodgrs with the Patriots.

We can only judge players by what actually happened.

Asking for more examples … and not saying it was a great example until now was absolutely brushing it off

You didn’t comment on the example at all other than to give the negative about where I’d ranked Davis

I'm sorry I didn;t give you the pat on the back you were looking for.

My bad.

oakland athletics pat on the back GIF by MLB

• Haha
Reactions: Horn19
Life ain't fair in some of these debates.

I'm guessing Dan Fouts wishes he had been able to play for the Steelers. Or Dan Marino on the 49ers. Or aaron Rodgrs with the Patriots.

We can only judge players by what actually happened.

This is the crux of the difference of the ranking criteria

Ranking based on titles and stats or ranking based on your perception of how good the player is outside of their team

I can’t believe Robert Horry hasn’t been mentioned as as a possible goat in basketball. Big Shot Bob has more titles than any of them in the modern era and hit shots down the stretch that won titles for every team he played for.

It’s about those titles…..

Yeah you call me a liar and then this - I’m done
This was tongue in cheek.

I also never called you a liar. I simply said I don't think Bill Walsh ever said what you said he said.

That means I think you're wrong. I never called you a name.

I can’t believe Robert Horry hasn’t been mentioned as as a possible goat in basketball. Big Shot Bob has more titles than any of them in the modern era and hit shots down the stretch that won titles for every team he played for.

It’s about those titles…..
Yeah, cause that's the same thing.

That being said, he is known for being a winner (See the point about Bijan)

….if we're going to have a conversation about the guy I believe is the best prospect in the state of Texas in the 2024 recruiting class….
Can we just stop with this? There’s a 2025 WR that’s better than Hudson. And there’s no chance in Hell that Hudson is better than Simmons. I would put Kobe Black ahead of Hudson.

This was the starting offensive line in Super Bowl XXVII

LT - mark Tuinei
LG - Nate Newton
C - mark Stenowski
RG - John Gesek
RT - Erik Williams

Not a single one of those players ever made a Pro Bowl until Emmitt walked into their lives. Frankly, Tuinei, Newton and Gesek were career Jags before Emmitt arrived.

Erik Williams is another story.
And NFL Films immortalized these "JAGS" in A Football Life documentary "The Great Wall of Dallas" as the greatest OL in history. I'd say you're way under-selling their contributions to Emmitt's success.

The Great Wall of Dallas

Do you penalize Jerry Rice because he had Joe Montana throwing to him?
When you're talking the all-timers, you're splittting hairs and who they played with and in what era matters. For RBs, OL is a significant factor. Just giving Emmitt's OL credit for some of his success.

Regarding the Micah Hudson recruitment, let's keep in mind that by potentially saying "yes" to TT it means he's saying "no" to Texas, tOSU, Bama, Georgia, USC, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, and, and, and. Therefore, let's try to maintain some perspective here. This likely isn't just about an "issue" with Texas. Maybe the kid just wants to play his college ball at TT. I'm ok with that. Hook'em

Bingo.

There's not a sport that exists where we don't weigh post-season performance as the biggest deciding factor.

Yet, some in tis thread want to turn it into a meaningless metric? Why?

Because if they don't... they lose.

Hell, the only thing keeping a guy like Ladainian Tomlinson from the crown is specifically this piece of the puzzle.
These arguments for Barry is like saying Marino was better than Brady bc he had a stronger arm and could sling it better.

Reactions: leej4445
Emmitt has the rings, the numbers and was at his best in the biggest moments.

Barry has no rings and wasn't great in the biggest moments.

But, yeah, have Barry.

Looking forward to your top 10 NBA players of all time given LeBron is the biggest NBA Finals loser of all time.

I like your questions each week. You're fine. I don't think you need to alter anything.
Thanks for the kind words. I make up that my questions extend thought beyond the obvious by posing a bit different what-if’s. Your answers help me validate my speculations and I hope my questions create new ideas for you to mull over. Take care

Last edited:
Reactions: Ketchum
When you're talking the all-timers, you're splittting hairs and who they played with and in what era matters. For RBs, OL is a significant factor. Just giving Emmitt's OL credit for some of his success.
What's the case for Jerry Rice being the best WR of all-time?

Regarding the Micah Hudson recruitment, let's keep in mind that by potentially saying "yes" to TT it means he's saying "no" to Texas, tOSU, Bama, Georgia, USC, LSU, Oklahoma, Michigan, and, and, and. Therefore, let's try to maintain some perspective here. This likely isn't just about an "issue" with Texas. Maybe the kid just wants to play his college ball at TT. I'm ok with that. Hook'em
There's definitely some potential of that involved.